(2.55)Set Layer Of A String

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:17 AM

There should be a string setting that controls what layer a string appears on.

#2 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:21 AM

There should be a string setting that controls what layer a string appears on.

....yes there should. Why has no one thought to mention this before?

This is exactly why I tell people to do feature requests XD

#3 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

I've actually been meaning to post this for awhile, and may have thought I already did. Your message on PureZC Discord caused me to check and make sure.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

....yes there should. Why has no one thought to mention this before?

Probably because you wouldn't ever want anything to be drawn over the text. Text should normally be at the highest layer.

#5 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

Probably because you wouldn't ever want anything to be drawn over the text. Text should normally be at the highest layer.

There are situations where you might want scripted elements to be drawn over(or under) the text.

You might even want it drawn under Link for some reason(think magic text on walls).

Bad form to leave an option out that could be used for so many different purposes. It doesn't have to break anything, as quests from prior versions would be set to the default(top) layer.

Edited by BigJoe, 28 September 2019 - 11:22 AM.

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, fair enough. But be aware, text is not instant so text on the floor would "blink in" too. And you'd have to use specific questrules so Link can walk.

Also, you can already draw above text boxes with scripts, by drawing on layer 7. But not over the text itself.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

I can imagine using layering to make text blink. You'd put the text below layer 6, and on layer 6 itself, a strategically placed rectangle that quickly switches between an opaque and a transparent tile that is the color of the background of the text, therefore giving it the appearance of blinking text. Neat. Dunno if that's possible now without layering options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users