potential virus performance issues why what random

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:22 PM

This isn't my PC, but rather my fiance's, so I don't have direct access to a *lot* of information here. 

She has an older laptop with windows 8, currently browsing with firefox as of a few weeks ago. Normally she experiences no serious trouble with it at all, but just the other day the entire PC suddenly froze up completely for about ten minutes before suddenly returning to normal, as if nothing happened. 

She ran virus sweeps, memory monitoring, etc, and couldn't find anything wrong. However, given the age of her machine compounded with a complete inability to get a new one (so don't even start), she is very worried as to *why* it occurred. Was it just random? Is there something now happening that she isn't aware of and needs to be? 

Again, nothing has happened *since* that massive slowdown. Everything seems just fine since. We just have no idea why it happened, or what it means if anything. 

Any reassurance? Cause for alarm? 

Edited by Old-Skool, 08 February 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#2 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

OS corruption from Windows Update being, well... itself.

Or a failing hard drive. Let us know if it happens again. Back up anything important.

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:51 AM

Did you by chance have the photos app open?

Some of Microsoft's built in apps have memory leaks when you leave them open, and they will freeze your computer if left unchecked/open.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:29 AM

This usually happens when the CPU usage spikes. nothing serious unless it happens frequently. It's easily possible that Win8, or the scanner, was busy masturbating in the background with some internal task.

Win10 did this to me just yesterday when Andy (Android emulator/sdk) and Edge decided to consprire to use 100% of the available CPU cycles on my i5.

#5 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

OS corruption from Windows Update being, well... itself.

Or a failing hard drive. Let us know if it happens again. Back up anything important.

of note: she'd been avoiding windows update. I'm not sure if she'd since accepted it. I'll pass this along though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potential, virus, performance, issues, why, what, random

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users