ad block

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

That's REALLY starting to become a problem. A lot of sites I've been going to lately have been DEMANDING me to either white list them, or flat out disable Adblock Plus. No thanks; I'm NOT going to open myself up to malware and the like. That and the last thing I need is some annoying ad with audio or one that ends up downloading some kind of virus onto my computer. That and pop-ups. Seriously, can't they come up with some other way of making money that doesn't compromise your safety? And before someone quotes me and tries to say I'm wrong, I've gotten viruses and such in the past thanks to an ad that automatically opened a pop-up that lead to me being infected. Before you know it, they're going to flat out not even let you connect to ANY website, so you'll have no choice but to put your computer at risk.

Also you know what's ironic? You have a big MMO company hell-bent on ending gold farming yet on their own damn website, they have ads for gold farming websites! It would be like going onto some government drug rehab site that has ads for illegal drugs on it.

• thepsynergist, Anthus and Lüt like this

#17 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

That's REALLY starting to become a problem. A lot of sites I've been going to lately have been DEMANDING me to either white list them, or flat out disable Adblock Plus. No thanks; I'm NOT going to open myself up to malware and the like. That and the last thing I need is some annoying ad with audio or one that ends up downloading some kind of virus onto my computer. That and pop-ups. Seriously, can't they come up with some other way of making money that doesn't compromise your safety? And before someone quotes me and tries to say I'm wrong, I've gotten viruses and such in the past thanks to an ad that automatically opened a pop-up that lead to me being infected. Before you know it, they're going to flat out not even let you connect to ANY website, so you'll have no choice but to put your computer at risk.

Also you know what's ironic? You have a big MMO company hell-bent on ending gold farming yet on their own damn website, they have ads for gold farming websites! It would be like going onto some government drug rehab site that has ads for illegal drugs on it.

Ohh, yeah, that shit makes me rage. I just leave the page, and find whatever I was looking up elsewhere. 

#18 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

uBlock Origin has some capabilities to block anti-ad-block scripting, but it's not going to work 100% of the time. For most purposes it does do the job and has a lighter footprint than AB or AB+.

• Anthus likes this

#19 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

I've had to revert back to just regular Adblock, after both Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin started causing audio/video lag on Youtube and other video services. Switching to the old Youtube player fixes it though then it won't keep track of where in the video you are if you happen to close out and so on, and given that it affects other sites as well that doesn't have such options, I replaced them with Adblock.

It's more noticeable on longer videos (20 min or longer), where the audio will slowly fall out of sync with the video. Pausing the video generally fixes it for a short amount of time, but it will gradually lose sync still.

I've seen others have this issue as well though I have yet to find a real solution. Does anyone happen to have heard of this, and possibly also a fix? Not that Adblock isn't capable on its own, but there's a few popups on some video streaming sites that it doesn't catch before the window has actually been opened (though it usually does close it fairly quickly, before it has the time to load anything, so its not that big of a problem).

If you've modified a preference in Firefox to forcible enable support for Media Source Extensions than that can cause issues with Youtube. I use AdBlock+ because there is a confusing fiasco between uBlock and uBlock Origin and both of those don't reliably 100% block video advertising (the uBlock extensions tend to hide the advertisement but still require you to wait some amount of time while the video player is blank).

I also don't have any issues with the amount of RAM or CPU resources that ABP uses, all performance issues with Firefox were resolved when Mozilla introduced their multi-process functionality in Firefox 53 I believe.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 11 September 2017 - 07:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users