Photo

Map of the Month 62

Eddy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 62 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Consider a hypothetical scenario where you had to vote between Eddy, bmc10011, and mao10 in a monthly mapmaking competition. Whom would you pick?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

Well first off this is going to be my last quest. And I all ready made four unique gimmicks that took a very long time to figure out. And not to mention level 10 that has 2 new dungeon themes that could be made into there own dungeon. I forgot to mention that at the very beginning you have a choice between three completely different worlds, with there own story, bosses, and overworlds. Thanks for the suggestion but I think this will be my last quest.

I see. Well I knew you had original ideas within your upcoming quest, I guess my wording was a tad off. I'm looking forward to your quest regardless.

#17 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

Here's what me screens look like a year ago. You can see why I would copy graphics from IoR. I was terrible with ezgbz before IoR showed the right way to use it.

First+screen.png

http://www.mediafire...irst_screen.png

Level+1+puzzle.png

http://www.mediafire...el_1_puzzle.png

Edited by bmc10011, 10 April 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#18 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

Right. But the thing here is that you don't need to copy IoR to use it right. Just use the tiles right. :P

For the record, yes; I acknowledge you made non-IoR looking maps and quests. Where I am getting at is that you don't need to rely on IoR for good design. That said, you certainly have improved.

Edited by Shane, 10 April 2015 - 08:57 AM.

• Eddy and Demonlink like this

#19 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

I have learned how to use them right thanks to IoR. You can see that I know how to use it on my own from my level 8 screenshot of the week.

• Shane likes this

#20 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

I feel compelled to post an ancient map from 2010 from proto-IoR.

My very first dungeon in ZC. The tileset usage is a mess, the enemy balance was questionable and it was moderately fun to play. More importantly, it was a learning experience that paved the way for a whole lot of new ideas. IoR's final 1st dungeon, conceptually, is still very faithful to the vision I had of a game I wanted to make when I first picked up ZC in late 2010.

#21 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

I feel compelled to post an ancient map from 2010 from proto-IoR.

My very first dungeon in ZC. The tileset usage is a mess, the enemy balance was questionable and it was moderately fun to play. More importantly, it was a learning experience that paved the way for a whole lot of new ideas. IoR's final 1st dungeon, conceptually, is still very faithful to the vision I had of a game I wanted to make when I first picked up ZC in late 2010.

So... are you saying you DON'T have a problem with bmc grabbing your gimmicks and tile usage, or saying that everyone has to start somewhere, but he still ripped you off?

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. I doubt any of you would have even noticed if he'd used a different palette, and based on what I saw, he still made his own dungeon around those ideas, it's not direct plagiarism. Hell, Eddy's is far more plagiaristic, considering it's very obviously AND OPENLY trying to plagiarize the Crescent Island map from OoA, he did the same thing we ALL do with our quests, took ideas he liked from other people, then ran with it.

Edited by Binx, 10 April 2015 - 05:21 PM.

• Evan20000 likes this

#22 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

I feel like people here need to chill out, it's not that big a deal

• Evan20000 likes this

#23 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

I guess I shouldn't mention that the theme of my level 9 isn't 100% the same. In mine you can turn the power off to be able to walk on the arrow things. And there are ramps that you can only get through when the power is on. How did I come up with this? Originally level 9 was going to be a electric theme dungeon but then I thought to me self what if we combined the two? That would be amazing. 

#24 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

So... are you saying you DON'T have a problem with bmc grabbing your gimmicks and tile usage, or saying that everyone has to start somewhere, but he still ripped you off?

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. I doubt any of you would have even noticed if he'd used a different palette, and based on what I saw, he still made his own dungeon around those ideas, it's not direct plagiarism. Hell, Eddy's is far more plagiaristic, considering it's very obviously AND OPENLY trying to plagiarize the Crescent Island map from OoA, he did the same thing we ALL do with our quests, took ideas he liked from other people, then ran with it.

My point actually was that we all start somewhere, but eventually our ideas that blossom into their own unique thing tend to be the most memorable and interesting. I don't have any problem with people more or less remaking my game with changes; I take it as a compliment actually. That said, I'd rather play a game that shows off the true creative potential of the author, especially when it's pretty clear that the author has some talent.

• nicklegends, Eddy, SyrianBallaS and 3 others like this

#25 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:41 PM

I had a tough time choosing between Eddy and mao10's maps. I decided to vote for mao10 because of the twist to the Classic tileset.

• Eddy likes this

#26 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

I'm voting for Eddy, I really dig his remixed version of Crescent Isle.

• Eddy likes this

#27 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

They're all really good. Damn, I can't choose. Well, here goes nothing.

Eddy- This map looks a lot like Crescent Isle, but retains and Identity of it's own. Definitely a good contender for a vote.

BMC- I like the map, it seems like the dungeon could be very interesting to traverse. It is a bit sparse on details though. And why do I feel as though I've seen it before...?

MAO- This map is really frickin' neat. I like when people take the classic tileset and put an interesting twist on it. The issue is, the lack of color variation makes depth perception

something of a challenge. (I don't know how to word that better :P)

• Eddy likes this

#28 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:04 AM

Eddy (21 votes [50.00%])
bmc10011 (1 votes [2.38%])
mao10 (20 votes [47.62%])

It was a close match, but Eddy's Crescent Island reigns supreme! Stay tuned for the next thrilling episode. :)

crescent.jpg
Image credit: freshtraveldestinations.com
  • Shane, Eddy and Joelmacool like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users