Photo

Map of the Month 19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 19 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Alex-Link @ Apr 3 2010, 11:51 AM) View Post

Gonken-nice tileset, but it seems rather empty

Its DoR, with tiles and palette made by me, and yea I haven't finished the map yet icon_smile.gif

#32 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

catfriedrice: Uber-small, I can barely see anything. But that's what Ctrl+ is for, right? Your ground detail kind of failed, put some of the more detailed grass tiles in, I never use the basic one...also, add some flowers and bushes lying around randomly. Also, I don't like the idea of more than one mountain type on a screen, especially when both mountains don't have the same perspective. But, I really like how you did the buildings, it's a city, so crowded works. icon_biggrin.gif

Gonken: Ooooo, purty palette. To be honest, you have pretty awesome screen design...and I'm finding it hard to complain about this. So I'll try my best. The mushroom house's colours look a little off and the four trees near the top of the map are kinda awkward looking. But I really like the beams of light and the big leafy vine thing in the lower left corner.

Jupiter: You said earlier that you cleared up the palette issues, so I'll ignore that...still though, I'm happy that someone is making their own palette for a change. I also like that you're using new tree tiles, that no one has used before. But, the trunk that you've got for them seems to have a slightly different perspective, and it's throwing it off...move that up a few pixels, like maybe 6 or 8. I love the gallows, just tell me I'm not the one being hung? Votes!

#33 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 2 2010, 08:31 PM) View Post

Gonken, your map reminds me of Robin's Great Forest. I'd even say you ripped it off, more or less. The concept of the river flowing through the forest like that, for example is obviously copied. Stealing is a no-go. Great job on ripping all those tMC tiles into ZC, but think of own designs. Seriously, that is the second time you are stealing others work, stop it, please.

That is such a blind accusation...

I went for Gonken either way, even though I don't like it that much after observing.

#34 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(Molten Onyx @ Apr 4 2010, 10:57 AM) View Post

Jupiter: You said earlier that you cleared up the palette issues, so I'll ignore that...still though, I'm happy that someone is making their own palette for a change. I also like that you're using new tree tiles, that no one has used before. But, the trunk that you've got for them seems to have a slightly different perspective, and it's throwing it off...move that up a few pixels, like maybe 6 or 8. I love the gallows, just tell me I'm not the one being hung? Votes!

Thanks MO! The feedback is helpful.

Now that I'm getting little more practice with pixel art for ZC I think that I may make make some changes to those trees. As you've commented on my "Saturnian Trees" these need better trunk/grass transitions. As for the perspective, I don't think things are ever perfectly in the same perspective in any tileset (I've seen Skeik say the same thing) so I'm not super concerned about that bing perfect...though it's funny, I actually had the treetops for those trees further down on the trunk and moved them up...I will try moving them back down a few pixels.

I'm glad you commented on the gallows! You probably already know, but fyi, that and some other macabre tiles are in the database.. The hung Darknut was pretty easy to make (just rotate the head 90 degrees and make the noose overlap a bit), I'm pretty happy with how it came out...I hope you noticed my dead chickens too! I'm equally proud of those icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Jupiter, 05 April 2010 - 06:23 AM.

#35 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

That is such a blind accusation...
You know what this book said I recently read? "Not the one that makes the fault gets senteced, but the one that names the problem." Very true, if you ask me. So would you mind stopping the sh*t? I did not copy someone else's concepts, I just said that he did. Now don't start the "that's your opinion"-crap again, as I am sick of reading it, because it is obviously my opinion, otherwise I wouldn't be the person writing it.

I went for Gonken either way, even though I don't like it that much after observing.
Why would you vote for a map you don't like anyways?

Edited by Sheik, 05 April 2010 - 06:39 AM.

#36 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 5 2010, 04:39 AM) View Post

You know what this book said I recently read? "Not the one that makes the fault gets senteced, but the one that names the problem." Very true, if you ask me. So would you mind stopping the sh*t? I did not copy someone else's concepts, I just said that he did. Now don't start the "that's your opinion"-crap again, as I am sick of reading it, because it is obviously my opinion, otherwise I wouldn't be the person writing it.

Why would you vote for a map you don't like anyways?

You give Migo a great deal of credit, it's hardly his concept, if anyone's it's Gods.
Migo wasn't the first and won't be the last, the Inish river in SwanSong~Genesis runs down through the forest and was done over 3 years ago, do you suspect Migo swiped my idea?
Since they are using the same old tiles, then there is a chance it will have the same old look.

Jupiter submitted the snow houses to the database the other day, I added those to my tileset over 3 years ago, I believe they are in the released version of the adventure tileset unless I added them shortly after, did he swipe them or the idea from me?
I don't think so.

It's not only an "opinion" you share but an outright accusation that Gonkin is a thief, in the real world that's known as slander and is punishable by law.

In addition, voting for something you don't like all that much is still voting for the best choices you have.
I voted for McCain and hate the guy, but hate obama even more, so.... I voted for someone I HATE.
It's a vote cast AGAINST not for.

I voted for Jupiter, his looked like the most effort was put forth.

#37 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

"Not the one that makes the fault gets senteced, but the one that names the problem."
Prooven true again by your post, Freedom.

I hate to do what I am about to do know, but I sort of feel like I have to defend myself here.
Gonken, please do not feel offended, you PM'd me already about that and just so you know I do not have anything against you; you know what I am thinking, there's no more, no less, no hatred, nothing. Just what I wrote you in that PM.

Freedom, I am saying that this map is a rip-off because:
-the geography (the way the landmasses are built) is distrubingly similar to that of Migo's forest
-the underwater vines are obviously inspired by Migo's forest
-water and vines on the dirt remind me a lot of Migo's forest
-Gonken is known to have been stealing tiles before from Migo's maps

I could go on like that a while longer, but it's making Gonken feel needlessly bad, as he already talked with everyone about that himself, and there's no real purpose in talking about this stuff any more, in my opinion; also for Gonken's sake. His screendesign is good, his tiles are pretty, his palette pleasing - I agree on all that. But I still think that it's a rip-off. The one thing does not have to do anything with the other.

I am sick and tired of this sort of thing, to be honest. Don't expect me write anything else in this thread or on that topic anymore. It's ridiciulous how you guys are ganging up on me because I stated my opinion.

Edited by Sheik, 05 April 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#38 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

I voted for Gonken. It reminds me of Migokalle's forest in THP, which is probably the best forest I've seen out there.

#39 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(Freedom @ Apr 5 2010, 07:46 AM) View Post

Jupiter submitted the snow houses to the database the other day, I added those to my tileset over 3 years ago, I believe they are in the released version of the adventure tileset unless I added them shortly after, did he swipe them or the idea from me?
I don't think so.

Thanks for your vote freedom.

This isn't really the place I guess, but, for what it's worth, I had no idea you had used those snow houses before...in fact I just went through the adventure tileset again and didn't find them (but I take your word that you used them). I know the point of your post and the good rating you gave me on the tiles indicates you're not upset in any way. But I obviously don't want to duplicate stuff that is already in the database-and want to give credit to anyone who inspired or helped. In any case, I have them in two colors and with an extra door and such so hopefully my submission provides them in a format that is easy for folks to use. At the very least, this shows that we both thought they were cool enough to try pulling them into ZC.

Other than that I don't want to wade into the dreaded forest discussion again as from what I've seen I like both Sheik and Gonken and hope they both keep producing nice stuff. I've pretty much stated my opinion on it already too. While I don't see things the same way, Sheik's desire to protect Zelda Classic Intellectual Property is understandable. A lot of work can go into making quests unique. But it's also understandable that if people feel someone is being accused unfairly or too harshly they want to come to her or his aid. Sometimes, in the court of public opinion, an allegation (even a sincere one) makes the accused guilty until proven innocent.

QUOTE(Freedom @ Apr 5 2010, 07:46 AM) View Post

In addition, voting for something you don't like all that much is still voting for the best choices you have.
I voted for McCain and hate the guy, but hate obama even more..It's a vote cast AGAINST not for.

I can relate to this! But I couldn't bring my self to vote for either, and decided to go for the Libertarian instead...and that was a vote against the both of 'em.

#40 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

No Jupiter, I'm in no way upset that you found and used the snow house the same as I found and used the snow house.
I believe I got then from spriters resources and then made them work in ZC same as you.

That was my whole point above, 90% of what goes into these zelda quests is a rip off, from the tiles to the music, and even the zelda name.
People take no thought of that but then cry the blues if someones screen looks similar to theirs.

It's silliness, and not worth getting upset about.

#41 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

Freedom is right guys, and there really is no point continuing this battle in Map of the Month #19. Seriously, those who are continuing this and pushing it further: Did you bother to read Migokalle's post? This really applies to everybody, not just Midnight_King. What is considered by definition as stolen or ripped off is another discussion for another time, in its own separate topic. It's a great discussion to have, at least in philosophy, but not in this topic.

Lets not ruin MotM, please. Some of you already failed to listen to Migokalle, who by the way, is also a staff member here. If you guys fail to listen to me too, then I am afraid I would have no choice but to cut this month's competition short. I'm sure you guys don't want that. Contest first, scuffles elsewhere, and only if absolutely necessary and kept civil. That especially goes for you Shiek, and you Twilight_Knight, as you were both adding to the heat, rather than cooling it down. We don't need to have the urge to prove our points on this here.

So guys: Back to MotM.

#42 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

Went with Jupiter on this one. The palette leaves a bit to be desired, but the atmosphere is wonderful.
Gonken's is nice too, simple, but good. I'd have like to see more of the light shafts/ big plants like the one on the left (by the way, where did you get that/can i have it? I'll likely need something similar for my jungle area at some point.)
Catfriedrice, for some reason, its just... blah. I can't figure out why. It looks nice, and it looks like most screens have some unique point of interest. But for some reason... maybe a bit more variation on the roof color/style. Details on the castle walls might help. And maybe a 2nd type of 2x2 tree for some variety. Just some suggestions.

I would have had something, but I totally underestimated how much work I had left on the area I'm working on. Next month, hopefully.

#43 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

I prefer Jupiter's map because it is original. Gonken's map looks like the minish cap forest and catfriedrice's map is too much inspired by LTTP.

#44 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Catfriedrice: It's a nice map, but feels cluttered with a bit of overuse of the color blue.
Gonken: I didn't really like it that much. The design is great, but something about the palette felt off? Did you use DoR CSet 5 by any chance? It looks a bit harsh and solid as opposed to the washy feel and style of the DoR tilest...The lower right portion feels a bit rushed. It uses the same tiles over and over again too much.
Jupiter: This map has stuff going on! It looks more like something I'd see in a quest than just a map. It has characters and feels like a single moment in time was contained within it. I feel that it is like one of CastChaos' maps (and I like those very much).

#45 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 9 2010, 02:57 PM) View Post

Jupiter: This map has stuff going on! It looks more like something I'd see in a quest than just a map. It has characters and feels like a single moment in time was contained within it. I feel that it is like one of CastChaos' maps (and I like those very much).

Thanks! This was in fact made for a quest...the Macbeth Quest I started, and so it is for a specific moment in time: Act 1, scene i of Macbeth. If you look closely you will notice that the dead soldiers shields are the Scottish, Irish, and Norwegian flags. You can also see the Weird Sisters gathered up in the top right corner...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users