26 replies to this topic

#1 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:38 PM

ZC Version: 2.53.1 Beta 40 Build 33

Large Images

I think I had this problem with Beta 36 as well (sorry for not mentioning before). So, when I try to reassign the game buttons to different keys on my keyboard, this error shows up; even if I press "OK" and leave everything as it is. I found that the culprit is assigning the "B Button" to the "left control" key. Assigning it to any other key is fine. 

It might not be a critical bug, but it is annoying considering I used the B button on the left control key. In case of need of further details, I'm running ZC on Windows 10. 

#2 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:17 PM

You realize there are 3 tabs of controls, right?

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

As I've said so, so, so many times before, the cheat modifier keys should be unset by default. This isn't the first time it's caused confusion, and it won't be the last time. Making them a tab rather than separate menu was a good step, but it's still confusing by virtue of it being something that didn't exist and have to be fiddled with in older versions. Most users don't even know what they are, and those I've talked to that do know have all disabled them. 

Demonlink: Go to the "Cheat Mods" tab and clear all four of those keys. That will let you rebind the controls properly.

• ShadowTiger, Mani Kanina and Demonlink like this

#4 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

Not having them enabled can cause buggy behavior. Given, buggy behavior that was in 2.50.2, but still buggy behavior. Having them enabled by default makes sense.

Having it in a separate dialog was idiotic; having it as another tab means, you get that error, you should check your bindings.

I would not just clear all 4. Clear the ones you need to clear for your control scheme.

Personally, I don't clear all 4, because I don't like suddenly moving at lightspeed or seeing solidity when I quickswap items with cheats on.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

I mean... the majority of players don't have keys bound to cheat keys. Hence why it took so long for the issue to even be brought up in the first place. And the majority of players would rather not have to contort their hands every time they want to F11. The amount of people who will get confused cuz they have a key button bound to a cheat key is much smaller than the amount of people who will be confused either because they can't rebind keys (see also: this bug report right here) or because their cheat hotkeys that worked fine in older versions suddenly stopped working.

• ShadowTiger, Mani Kanina and Jared like this

#6 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:48 PM

This is a particular kind of issue that I hate. It's the kind where, if it were this way from the beginning, not a single person would have complained, because this is good design. The only reason it's even an issue is because it didn't used to be this way.

#7 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:02 PM

@Russ, thanks, that did the trick. But alas, what are those Cheat Mod keys for?

#8 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

@Russ, thanks, that did the trick. But alas, what are those Cheat Mod keys for?

So, example. My L and R buttons are Q and W. If I have cheat level 4 on, and I'm in 2.50.2 (Or I have all cheat mod keys cleared), then I can't use quickswap without triggering superspeed (Q) or solidity (W). It can't tell if I want the cheat or the control.

Cheat mod keys mean, you hold those and press a key to use a cheat. By default it's Ctrl and Shift (thus why it conflicted for you on trying to use Ctrl). What that means is if I want to use superspeed, I'd need to press 'Ctrl+Shift+Q'. Pressing just 'Q' would not do the cheat- it requires the modifier keys.

#9 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:06 PM

As I've said so, so, so many times before, the cheat modifier keys should be unset by default. This isn't the first time it's caused confusion, and it won't be the last time. Making them a tab rather than separate menu was a good step, but it's still confusing by virtue of it being something that didn't exist and have to be fiddled with in older versions. Most users don't even know what they are, and those I've talked to that do know have all disabled them. 

Oh, this explains so much, I thought the cheat things just didn't work anymore for some reason, I wasn't aware there was a mod key you need to hold down now to use them. :V

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:28 PM

Y'know, on the subject of this issue, I did a fresh install of 2.55 recently and I noticed the default controls are still alt and left ctrl for A and B keys. But left ctrl is also a default for cheat mod keys. This means that if I go into keyboard controls, do nothing, and hit OK, it'll give the "Key bindings must be unique!" error. Is it time for ZC defaults to switch off caveman controls and join the Z and X key master race?  :tard:

• ShadowTiger, Mani Kanina, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#11 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 April 2020 - 07:33 AM

Y'know, on the subject of this issue, I did a fresh install of 2.55 recently and I noticed the default controls are still alt and left ctrl for A and B keys. But left ctrl is also a default for cheat mod keys. This means that if I go into keyboard controls, do nothing, and hit OK, it'll give the "Key bindings must be unique!" error. Is it time for ZC defaults to switch off caveman controls and join the Z and X key master race?  :tard:

Now THAT is certainly something to fix. I've listed it as todo: update default controls.

• Mani Kanina and Matthew like this

#12 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:45 AM

Assuming the alert code hasn't been changed since I looked at it, adding a list of all the conflicts would be kind of a pain. But it shouldn't be too big a deal to add a line for the first conflict detected, something like "B Button and Cheat Mod are assigned the same key." It'd be even better if the control mapping dialog itself reported and highlighted the conflict as soon as the key was set, but I'm sure that's also pretty difficult.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#13 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 April 2020 - 11:40 AM

I do understand the need to avoid confusing bugs and key overlaps, hence the need for the multiple tabs of keys and everything.  Moosh's post is pretty much the only cause for alarm that I have here.  Whenever I download a new version of ZC, the very first thing I do is rebind my controls to my Arrow Keys / RCtrl RShift combinations, among others, and in the latest versions, it always spits that error back at me and it's just weird and jarring.

Maybe upon opening ZC for the first time, a box could pop up that describes how there are keys left to be rebound, including some of those modifiers.

What does everyone think the best solution would be, now that we know there's more than meets the eye here?

• Matthew likes this

#14 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 April 2020 - 11:49 AM

Maybe upon opening ZC for the first time, a box could pop up that describes how there are keys left to be rebound, including some of those modifiers.

Well, that'll end up spitting that message at you every single update.

If you open a menu that has multiple tabs, personally, I'd expect people to check what is on all the tabs? Like, why wouldn't you?

The very first thing I do when opening a new game, on Steam or console, is open 'Options' and look at literally everything. In a controls menu, if something spit a 'unique keys' error at me, I'd go 'Oh, must have missed something' and check for what's conflicting. I could understand someone used to 2.50.2 just going in and quickly setting their binds, as it's not a 'new' game, but I can't understand someone getting that error and not just checking for what's conflicting.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 April 2020 - 11:55 AM

I hear ya, though people also get a bit intimidated at just getting a random error, and even get discouraged.

Would it be reasonable to add to that error message and just propose a very simple one-line solution within that error message?  "Go into the other tabs here and rebind or erase all of the controls."   Something shorter and simpler than that, anyway.

• Matthew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users