Map 97+% Complete

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

So over 16 hours within the last 5 days, I have been putting together this classic map. It is now "complete".

By complete, I mean every screen has been filled in and every screen has been designed. I will have an image of it in for map of the month. But other than a couple people, I am keeping the map hidden until then.

The map may be touched even after MotM but it is mostly done. Apart from me needing to add enemies and set up flags.

Level 1 is mostly planned but hasn't been started.

All other levels have a shape.

I'd like to put this out by the end of the year. I intend to have some sort of demo for sure. But we'll see how it goes when I get back to work.

I won't be releasing any gameplay shots until I finish up the custom sprites for at least the main character.
  • Neppy, Anthus, Shane and 1 other like this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Having watched this overworld grow, you did a speedy job which paid off really well. Can't wait to see more! Your style with classic is quite interesting.

• Matthew likes this

#3 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Thanks. To start off I was going for a NES Zelda vibe. And I know I am pretty bad about giving EVERY screen TOO many exits. That's why I used the process I did.

In case anyone's curious.

Step 1 - Draw a rectangular map.
Step 2 - Section of terrains.
Step 3 - Draw grid squares in sections to represent each screen.
Step 4 - Draw lines from square to square to represent exits.
Step 5 - Go through entire map on zquest and block off any side of each screen that the player can't exit through.
Step 6 - Design every screen. Be flexible with your initial map. Allow for more exits from screens if your map is too mazey.
  • Anthus, Shane and Matthew like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users