Screen display

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nyrox

nyrox

Junior

• Members

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:30 AM

why when we play. it is missing 8 pixels at the bottom of the screen at the display???

we see just the half last tile at the bottom. im in 2.53

Edited by nyrox, 24 June 2020 - 01:30 AM.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:43 AM

This is because ZC mirrors the screen resolution of Zelda 1, which works like that. It was deemed an acceptable loss to not display that part of the screen in Z1 because (assumingly) very little action or important things happens there.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#3 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:12 AM

Yep, it's a Z1 thing. Not a bug, fully intentional.

In fact, if you look in the ZQuest editor, you'll notice a bit of shading on the bottom 8 pixels of the screen; this is to indicate that that area is not visible.

• Omega likes this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:15 AM

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to allow ZC to display those 8 pixels? Seems like the kind of thing that'd either be trivial or next to impossible, given how this program's put together.

• Twilight Knight, Mani Kanina and Shane like this

#5 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:30 AM

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to allow ZC to display those 8 pixels? Seems like the kind of thing that'd either be trivial or next to impossible, given how this program's put together.

No clue. Either trivial or next to impossible.

• Twilight Knight, Mani Kanina, Russ and 1 other like this

#6 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:35 AM

Good question, I always wondered why Nintendo choose to hide those 8 pixels. I guess due to limitations?

It was deemed an acceptable loss to not display that part of the screen in Z1 because (assumingly) very little action or important things happens there.

That is also a decent explanation. So perhaps this was to improve performance?

Either way I'm so used to it by now, yet it would be interesting to see such an option to turn it off.

• Matthew likes this

#7 nyrox

nyrox

Junior

• Members

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

like a nes fix rules  :slycool:

• Lüt likes this

#8 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:28 PM

like a nes fix rules  :slycool:

This is the oldest "NES Bug" that I've wanted to see fixed.

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

I think they cut off those bottom eight pixels cause you wouldn't really see them anyway with over scan on an old CRT set. I'd guess they did this because they didn't want the action being right up on the subscreen. There's an 8 pixel wide black area between where the subscreen elements start, and where the screen starts.

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:35 PM

Good question, I always wondered why Nintendo choose to hide those 8 pixels. I guess due to limitations?

That is also a decent explanation. So perhaps this was to improve performance?

Either way I'm so used to it by now, yet it would be interesting to see such an option to turn it off.

It's both a technical limitation as well as to improve performance. The screen resolution is what it is, so if you wanted to display those 8 rows of pixels you'd have to eat into what is at the top of the screen, aka, the HUD. But also, the more simplistic stuff you have to render, the faster you can render. I don't think it's that far out of the window to suggest that lot of the parts of the HUD is drawn in a very simplistic manner, probably not even using tile data. (Aka, fill everything here with X colour). And then overlaying the HUD elements on a second pass through.

Edited by Mani Kanina, 24 June 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#11 cbailey78

cbailey78

Initiate

• Members

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:50 PM

It would be a good idea to have an NES fix rule that removes the 8-pixel cutoff at the bottom plus if the rule is set, it also removes the bottom shading in Zquest.

• Lüt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users