175 replies to this topic

#136 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Evan the great @ Sep 9 2007, 02:33 AM) View Post
Or you could click the secrets don't carry-over Ebola. icon_wink.gif
Ah. Yes, I will edit that post right now. I completely forgot about that.

#137 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:17 PM

Here's a trick to make it so only a certain item of the actual item class triggers the secret.

Let's say, you want the bomb to remove a statue and place shards at its place, but you don't want the super bomb to do the same. By default, this is not possible, since the Bomb(Flag6) uses both bomb and superbomb. Now, put that Flag6(Bomb) on the statue. Set the secret combos "Bomb" to the shards. And now! Set the super bomb secret combo to the same statue that already stands there. So, the super bomb won't do anything! Put a Flag6(Bomb) on the super bomb secret combo, so the statue will still be bombable with normal bomb after using super bomb on it. Also, disable secret sounds, so really nothing happens when using the super bomb.

There! icon_biggrin.gif
  • Cukeman likes this

#138 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

Just found something big:
As everybody already knew, if you put a secret flag on a slash combo, then it will be its undercombo. Well, this applies for pound combos, too! This trick helps saving combo place and the Lens of Truth shows the secret flags, too.

#139 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Nov 20 2007, 03:17 PM) View Post

Here's a trick to make it so only a certain item of the actual item class triggers the secret.

Let's say, you want the bomb to remove a statue and place shards at its place, but you don't want the super bomb to do the same. By default, this is not possible, since the Bomb(Flag6) uses both bomb and superbomb. Now, put that Flag6(Bomb) on the statue. Set the secret combos "Bomb" to the shards. And now! Set the super bomb secret combo to the same statue that already stands there. So, the super bomb won't do anything! Put a Flag6(Bomb) on the super bomb secret combo, so the statue will still be bombable with normal bomb after using super bomb on it. Also, disable secret sounds, so really nothing happens when using the super bomb.

There! icon_biggrin.gif

This is ingenius, but... Supposing this statue of yours was on the Overworld and not a dungeon, if you Super-Bombed it first, then Normal-Bombed it to open it, and left the screen and came back, wouldn't the statue be reset? Because Overworld screens preserve triggered secrets, but if there are tiered secrets, only the first trigger is preserved.

Just something I observed, haven't tested it yet though. Anyway it's still an awesome idea... You could make it so if you choose to get the best items in the game, you can't unlock the secret ending which is obtainable only with downgraded items. icon_w00t.gif

#140 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:33 AM

Well, it works like this at me:
Bomb the entrance, nothing happens. Superbomb the entrance, it opens. Leave/reenter the screen and the netrance is cracked, you need only a normal bomb.

And yes, it can be heavily used that different items can create different secrets.

#141 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

Here's an easy one.

You can get a Fire Statue to spit fireballs at a far more alarming rate if you not only set the Statues Shoot Fire rule on, but also put a Fire Shooter enemy on top of it. Both the statue and the Fire Shooter enemy will be shooting fireballs at the same time, so it looks like it's going faster.

Here's something I've been using lately... In PTUX and other tilesets, the dungeon torch combo you're given is generally not a Center Statue type. Well, rather than making it one (in case I want torches and statues in the same room without both of them shooting), if I want torches to fire super-fast with the trick I explained above (I can get them to fire normally simply with Fire Shooter enemies), I put the torch tile on Layer 1 and the statue in the same spot on Layer 0, then set Statues Shoot Fire to ON and put a Fire Shooter there. <3

#142 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Wheee, double post. icon_kawaii.gif

Here's some tricks you can do in 2.10 with the Misc. items and shops.

Many good Questmakers should know that you can use Misc. 1 as the only buyable item in a Shop to make a "Pay to enter" room in a dungeon. In my Quest, I set the graphics of the Misc. 1 item to look like the big letters "GO" with an arrow. That way, when you "buy" it, the shutter in the back of the room opens and you can proceed. This can be used for, like, a minigame that you have to pay each time to play.

But there's more you can do with it too. Because buying an item from a shop makes the Guy disappear, and the Guy counts as an enemy, you can set off the Secret Flags with Enemies->Secret when you buy the GO item too. The most obvious use? Turn the whole floor into invisible pits, taking Link to an identical screen... with a different string! In my Quest I have a lady who says she's poor and needs a donation, and when you give her one, she starts going on about a secret passage in a forest that her brother lives in. Think of it as a "Pay for Info" room that's disguised.

You can even stack this multiple times, and have the lady go "Thanks, but could you give me some more?" This will test the player to see just how far he's willing to go to fulfill some curiosity. Also, you can do this with Bait rooms too (Feed the Goriya). I have a guy in my game who says "I'll never talk to you, not even if you slap me with a Fish!" Since the bait item is a fish, you can give him the bait and it'll take you to another Bait room, where he says "Ouch... You did NOT just do that. I dare ya to do it again." Then you come back with another Bait, "slap" him again, and he talks about the secret passage somewhere.

But there's still more... and this part is the focus on today's lesson. Try setting up a shop with TWO Misc. 1 items. Remember, setting up exactly two items in a shop makes them appear on the left and right of the screen, but not the middle. A shop like this can be used back in our minigame example... a minigame that has two difficulty levels. This is how you set it up...

First, have the floor turn to an invisible pit ala Flag 16 + Enemies->Secret when you buy either item. The screen should warp Link to a black screen... Probably should turn on No Subscreen, Invisible Enemies and Invisible Link too. The left half of the screen should be completely either Stairs or Pit combos, all non-solid. The right half of the screen should be completely solid "none" combos. Now set up both the Tile Warp and the Side Warp to different locations, and set up a Timed Warp for 50 tics. There's also an extra step if you're using Stairs instead of Pits on the left half of the screen... Set up a bunch of Blue Bubbles on the left side of the screen so Link will hit them as soon as he appears there. This is to "bump" him into the stairs, since if he warps on top of them he has to move first to activate them; not so with Pits.

The result? When Link buys the item on the left of the Double Misc. 1 shop, it warps him to the black screen's Tile Warp destination. If he buys the one on the right, it uses the Side Warp destination. This way, you can make minigames with a Normal Mode and a Special Mode that costs more. You could make the Special Mode have a bigger prize and be harder to win, for example. Or, maybe a Boat Shop that you can either pay a little bit to travel the river on the Raft at your own risk, or pay a lot more to skip the Raft part and have a cutscene say "The boat takes Link across the river". (I got that idea from a really old game called The Oregon Trail.) Use it however you'd like!

#143 eNJuR

eNJuR

Junior

• Members

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

I skimmed through the topic and did not see any of these:

In the tile selector (not the editor)...

press space to select rectangles instead of things in order.
hilight a rectangle, hold alt and press arrow keys to move tiles.
instead of C-V for copy-paste, press C-M for cut-paste.
Hilight a group of tiles and press M (have noting copied) to quickly assign tiles to combos.

And the link at the top for relational/dungeon editing didn't work, so here's my take:
IPB Image
Top row shows how to lay out relational; Bottom is dungeon carving.
when you have your tiles set-up, select the first one and press D. enter number of animation frames and wheather carving or relational and... POOF! Set these tiles to combos (using the M trick makes it fast) and then in the main window, press O to toggle tiling modes, when you get to the one you want, select the first combo of the set and you get easy free-form dungeons and RPG-Maker-XP-ish Auto-Tiles!

#144 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

Turns out my trick didn't work so I edited it out. Thanks, Theryan for pointing that out.

Edited by Banjo7J, 26 October 2009 - 12:57 PM.

#145 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Banjo, this trick was discovered a while ago, and it doesn't actually work. The lock blocks reset after leaving the room. The most you can have is 2 lock blocks per screen. After that, they start resetting.

#146 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Oh. I'll just edit my post then.

#147 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(dragonsword @ Jun 24 2009, 04:58 AM) View Post
I skimmed through the topic and did not see any of these:

In the tile selector (not the editor)...

press space to select rectangles instead of things in order.
hilight a rectangle, hold alt and press arrow keys to move tiles.
instead of C-V for copy-paste, press C-M for cut-paste.
Hilight a group of tiles and press M (have noting copied) to quickly assign tiles to combos.

And the link at the top for relational/dungeon editing didn't work, so here's my take:
IPB Image
Top row shows how to lay out relational; Bottom is dungeon carving.
when you have your tiles set-up, select the first one and press D. enter number of animation frames and wheather carving or relational and... POOF! Set these tiles to combos (using the M trick makes it fast) and then in the main window, press O to toggle tiling modes, when you get to the one you want, select the first combo of the set and you get easy free-form dungeons and RPG-Maker-XP-ish Auto-Tiles!

I don't suppose you could do that again with example tiles? You lost me with the 2-color blocks. I am interested in making freeform dungeons easier to make and could use a little help!

#148 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

OK, here's a trick.

Changing a push block into something after you push it.
e.g. changing a block into a rock when you push it. Now, this is a useful trick and it's also simple. Place a block somewhere and give it a push flag that only lets it be pushed one direction. This won't work with block triggers and you can't have it be pushable two ways because if you tried that, this would happen:
CODE
F=floor
B=block
T=tree
For one way, it would be:
FBF then
FFT
For the other, it would be:
FBF then
BFT
Anyway, once you've placed the push flag, take the stairs thingy on the 2nd (1st on certain 2.5 builds) page of the thing at the bottom and place it where the block will be pushed. Then, in secret combos, click the stairs secret combo and select what you want it to be. Then, you're done. But for some reason, whether it's walkable or not, this won't work if the block is being pushed onto a Water type combo.

#149 Drewby3

Drewby3

veteran member

• Members

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

if anyone is descent at making Zelda games can you attempt to do a complete remake of Zelda the Wind Waker? just try to keep much like the Gamecube Wind waker game as possible.

#150 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Drewby3 @ Dec 22 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post

if anyone is descent at making Zelda games can you attempt to do a complete remake of Zelda the Wind Waker? just try to keep much like the Gamecube Wind waker game as possible.

That won't happen, Drewby. An entire game is a pretty ridiculously huge request, especially when you give such a small amount of information. Zelda Classic can only make 2D games, so whatever game was made would have to be A LOT different than the original Gamecube game. Also, you made your request in a random thread, where it isn't likely to be seen.

If you want a Wind Waker-ish quest, try Isle of the Winds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users