Photo

Screenshot of the Week 280

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 280 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

Moo2wo
IPB Image

Russ
IPB Image
Wait a second, this isn't LttP. What's Russ up to now...

Purplemandown
IPB Image
A house, where Link never expected one to be.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

Nulled, of course. I probably would have voted for Moo2woo. Great, very detailed and well designed screen. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for Pure, and purplemandown's shot is very good too. It just needs a couple of the other kind of tree in there to break the monotony.

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

Voted for Moo2Woo. A solid shot and the best out of those three.

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

I went with Russ. I didn't really like Moo2Woo's design, and PurpleManDown's shot is too orange.

#5 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Nothing truly eyecatching this week...and I don't like to null, so I chose what I believe to be the best of the 3: Purpleman won.

#6 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Russ: I've got a good idea of what you're up to. icon_smile.gif It's a pretty solid screen, but I don't like the perspective change with the whistle warp mountain.

Purplemandown: It's a really good screen, but I don't really like the four trees on the right. It seems unnatural.

I null'd, for obvious reasons. I probably would have voted for Purplemandown though.

#7 Prophecy Face

Prophecy Face

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

I voted for Purplemandown. But I have to complain about the subscreen background; it almost makes me think there's a brick wall in the screen, like there's a forest inside a building. It's hard to look at the screen and not notice the brick wall there.

#8 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

I vote Purple, because Season area is good idea to example.

#9 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

Moo2wo: it's a well-designed screen. It's not too empty and not too full, and the variety is good. I don't see any flaws with it... At the same time, though, it looks like a typical DoR screen. There's nothing about it that really stands out. So, great screen, but maybe not the best choice for SotW?
Russ: Sorry, it seems kinda bland- and somewhat empty, despite the details you have there. Maybe if you had some bigger details- a bigger patch of dirt, perhaps? Something... it looks incomplete...
Purplemandown: A well-designed screen, but this one stands out. Maybe it's because I haven't played Pure much lately, or maybe it's because of the palette you're using in contrast with the other two, or maybe it's because you have a good-looking custom subscreen. Maybe it's a combination. icon_razz.gif In any case, this one gets my vote.

Edited by Ricky of Kokiri, 04 January 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#10 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

Moo2woo: It's a solid shot, you give a solid shot every time you enter. I enjoy your work, it's just, maybe you need to spend a little more time on your screens. Now I don't mean that rudely, It's just, there is nothing "spectacular" about them. But you have a solid shot, nun the less, and I like it.
Russ: I have to agree with Rickey. Your shot would be a very good shot if in a quest, It's just, I'm not sure if it's "full" enough to win. Maybe if you had put a small lake in the bottom left, or put in a few more trees, but that bottom left corner is left wide open and looks kinda bland. I'm not saying this is a bad screen, infact, I'm saying nothing like that, It is a very nice screen, but not good enough to get my vote.
PurplemanDown: I like the colors alot. It gives me a good feeling when I look at it. *vote*

Very good jobs this week guys, keep up the good work!

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

Moo2wo - 5/10
It feels like the screen is in disharmony with itself. The cliffs look awkward, though I understand that DoR cliffs are harder to get right due to the wider range of options. With more options require more understanding of how things fit. As for the dirt patches, they might look better if they were all the same, changing the one in the middle, or even having just two of them. They probably should be smaller too, allowing for more degrees of freedom on the grass design. Perhaps it was an excuse to not have to work on the grass as much, but I can't righteously accuse you of that. As for those trees, I just don't think they fit all that well in DoR. Just my honest opinion.

Russ - 6/10
A tad better designed than the screen above, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't take anything too far, but at the same time it is pretty bland for a more advanced tileset. If the upper left and upper right ledges are accessible, I would hate to enter them from the adjacent screens. The lower right ledge is certainly a safe approach, but doesn't look like an attractive curve either, as it is just one diagonal on a corner that would otherwise be perfectly rectangular. The open corner in the lower left forces you to have three more of the same in adjacent screens. It is still doable, but it adds more than what might be desired on the to-do list for three other screens. The half tree on the left looks out of place with the much larger tree, and such a distinct type of 2x2 tree doesn't look great cut between two screens anyway. You should use a different tree if one goes there. A few more subtle details can help make the grass more attractive. Not fantastic, but the screen certainly has potential. The screen could also use some ZC activity.

Purplemandown - 6/10
A bit on the crowded side. The tree/bush combo on the south side could recede back one pace, leaving more walkable space without sacrificing what the screen is all about. The area inside the fence is quite crowded. I don't think a tree stump right next to the wall of a house makes much sense. Perhaps move the pile of firewood where the tree stump is and replace the old firewood spot with just more grass might kill two birds with one stone (a good thing). As for the slash bushes, I don't feel comfortable about them, although I am not sure what else to say about it. Otherwise, it's a good main screen. Now the subscreen portion: I don't like it, and here is why: The background. The background bricks have too much contrast to the point that it makes it much harder to see all the important stuff that goes on that background, no matter what colors you use. Basically, it's distracting. A subscreen background should either be all lighter colors or all darker colors. Perhaps the lightest background color between the bricks can be made a shade of brown that is closer to the darker brown? Perhaps the "-LIFE-" can also be made brighter. It makes you understand why the default subscreen has a black background, even though you don't necessarily have to stick to that.

I voted for Purplemandown, as I think that has the best main screen of the three.

#12 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Voted for Russ, there is an insane lack of detail...but I like the general design.

#13 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

I voted for Moo2wo. In my opinion it has the best design of the three shots this week.

#14 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

Nathaniel, it sure as heck wasn't an excuse not to use the SD3 grass. If you look at the shot carefully, you'll figure out I laid it all out in advance.

I don't see what you mean by the cliffs looking awkward; they look perfectly normal to me. But, then again that's probably just because it's my own style of using them, so naturally, to me it looks perfect coming though my eyes.

Edited by Moo2wo, 04 January 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#15 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:37 AM

If something looks wrong with the cliffs, than (for me) it's that those on the right side are that high. Rather make more "plains" of two tile high mountains. The screen also uses that default-palette, which is fine, but we've seen it a zillion times before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users