Souls of Wisdom 2: Darkness Within

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Souls of Wisdom 2: Darkness Within (Current Title)

Introduction

A brand new quest by me, designed to be fun to play, simple to learn. This quest, like Souls of Wisdom, will be designed to show a classic game and story in my own image, focusing primarily on recreating Zelda 2: Adventures of Link.

Detailed Description

This is a true sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Souls of Wisdom. I am aiming to attract old fans and new fans alike with this project. This quest is being designed to challenge everything we know about what a Zelda quest should be, as I will be taking many risks and breaking the normal flow. For example, linearity is shunned by many professional quest designers, with good reason, it cripples adventure. But I am making this a linear quest as it gives me some advantages in storyline concepts and creation, and I am certain, even despite it's linearity, the massive size of the overworld in this quest will give players many oppertunities to have a fun exploration quest, without ever feeling too lost.

I am also developing an rpg system that is not complicated, I am doing this by just keeping it to a traditional Zelda rule, rupees and shops. Nearly every item is upgradable, and the format I am using makes it feel more Zelda than an rpg, since you are purchasing levels, you can choose to skip undesirable levels to save the cash for a stronger level. Also, since I am more focused on fun factor rather than rupee farming, I will be very generous on rupees. Every enemy in the game drops cash, therefore it's very very easy to collect 200 rupees in less than 10 minutes of gameplay. So don't let the items that appear overly expensive intimidate you, because by the time you are ready to kill some enemies, you're going to have plenty of fun collecting rupees.

Items will be untraditionally traditional. As in I don't want to alienate fans from the Souls of Wisdom experience. You begin with every item in the game, however you quickly discover that you are cursed, and cannot use any of the items in your equipment screen. As you journey through the game, all the items that are featured in Souls of Wisdom will be replaced by magic spells that behave similar to that of the previous item. I am not providing much description in the game as to what the new magic spells actually does, but they all will have qualities that will make them unique. For example: The Bow and Arrow are replaced by the Rupee thrower, which shoots rupees to damage foes, but as an added bonus, they will slow down hostile civilians, as Link does not kill people. The boomerang will be replaced by the Magic Key, Link throws a key which will unlock certain doors of a certain color. I am planning on using scripting to add new enhancements to abilities as you level up, but I'm not entirely certain on exactly what my plans are with that at this time.

Magic is a key role in this game, all items will use magic, but I don't want to fall into the trap where players would find themselves in stressful situations of being out of magic and having to return to a town or a location that will refill magic. That is why I designed it so every enemy drops small magic jars as well, in addition to the ruppees they will drop. Also, very early in the game, I have a given the players the ability to give upgrades to their magic. You start this game with a full complete magic bar, and continue to upgrade upgrade it's refill potential. As you reach higher and higher levels it almost becomes very difficult to run out of magic.

From the design aspect of this quest, I am thinking this game will be one of my easier games with the powering up potential, but I am certainly not creating this quest without some punishment. As enemies will be powered precisely to match your level in strength, but would fall short and appear weak to those who've invested in powering up to the max. But some enemies, especially bosses will be designed so that you may have to try 2 or 3 attempts to defeat, depending on your item levels and your skill levels.

Since this quest will be my final quest, I am taking extra attention to learn as many tricks as Zquest has to offer, so expect to see many new things that this quest will offer which the previous game did not offer. Including freeform combos and script as shining examples.

Setting

Souls of Wisdom 2 will include new areas, and reconstructed areas from the original. The world of Souls of Wisdom, is actually the Province of Eldin, to Link's surprise, as he had never studied much geography. The world of Souls of Wisdom 2 will include the Province of Faron and the Province of Lanayru, all of nearly equal size as the province of Eldin previously explored within Souls of Wisdom. This game will not feature a Dark World, but will not need to as there is just so much overworld to explore.

This time around Link will explore new areas, such as pirate ships, a steel mill where war weapons are produced, and quite possibly feature the construction of the train. Link will even travel through time to unlock the mysteries of Hyrule. Citizens in this world are not as friendly as they were in Eldin, as some will push you out of the way, and others will behave hostile.

The entire world concept has been influenced by Zelda 2: Adventures of Link, but just like I did with Souls of Wisdom, I am giving it new life to create orginality. Something I am well known for by my previous title.

Story

Over a decade before the events of Souls of Wisdom, Ganon's forces attempted to envade Hyrule. He obtained the Triforce of Power, and sent his army out to gather the Triforce of Wisdom and the Triforce of Courage. Zelda, the keeper of the Triforce of Wisdom shattered hers into 8 pieces and sealed them in temples located within the Province of Eldin. The Triforce of Courage has been sent to the town of Kasuto in the Lanayru province.

This small village is home to a small tribe of Hylians who've been granted magical powers and share the resemblance to Sage Kasuto, the leader of the tribe. Though the Hylians in this village are said to be over hundreds of years old, the great Sage Kasuto himself is said to be over a few thousand years, and it is he himself who is the direct decendant of the ancient sages of Legend.

10 years before Ganon's envasion, Kasuto the Sage predicted the events that would occur and has already gathered his tribe along with the Hylians work together and build a huge palace on top of the mountain behind the village. This palace would than be sealed for all time, only to be unlocked by a true hero destined to save Hyrule.

Ganon's envasion was finally put to an end when two heroes, Rash and Yedit courageously formed an army by uniting the provinces. It was Rash who first confronted Ganon, but was defeated. Just when all hoped seemed lost, Yedit stood up to Rash's aid. Rash, now injured could not assist his friend. Yedit was forced to fight Ganon alone. But to Ganon's surprise, Yedit was a Hylian with unlimited amount of potential and power. Yedit, without even much effort, slain the evil king. The story of Ganon's humiliation was spread throughout the provinces in a matter of days, and the story of Yedit grew faster. He became a known celebrity and was praised all around.

Rash became the hero of the Faron province, and Yedit became the hero of the Lanayru province. The town of Kasuto has since been sealed off to protect the Triforce of Courage, and their fate is still unknown to the public.

A decade after these events, a new fiend, known as the Undead Deity, the corpse of the Hero of Time that Legends spoke of, rose from the hero's grave. The hero of time's spirit, too helpless to assist being a ghost within a grave, could only mourn in his eternal slumber. His undead flesh however, fueled by mysterious powers within the Triforce of Power that no Hylian scripture has ever recorded, sealed off all communications to Lanayru and Faron, and went on to invade the province of Eldin. Using magic to shut off the province of Eldin from the rest of the world, all hope would seem lost. It was than a young boy named Link, with the aid of Zelda as his guide, travelled the Province of Eldin and its newly created Dark World and collected the 8 Souls of Wisdom. Link defeated the Undead Deity, and defeated the Souls of Power. In one last ditch effort, the Souls of Power resurrected Ganon within the Dark World, in his once ancient Castle in which he dwelled in many centuries before. Link, with the silver arrow, defeated Ganon, and claimed the Trforce of Power. With both Triforces pieces, and with the spirit of the Triforce of Courage within him, he put the souls within the Triforce to rest. Link than made a wish to dstroy the Dark World, ensuring Ganon would never return. Hyrule was once again at peace. Link returned the master sword to it's owner, at the grave in Lost Woods, and returned home.

It was not long after, Link was granted the title Hero of the Eldin Province, and served this duty faithfully. It was only a couple of years after that monsters started appearing all around the world. To make matters worse, Link has since lost all his abilities and was unable to fight. He also was troubled by a lingering sensation that there was a form of darkness within his soul. Link therefore made the decision to return to Lost woods and retrieve the Master Sword again.

Meanwhile, in the province of Faron, Rash has been sensing an unknown evil coming from the province of Eldin, and travelled to find out the source of the darkness.

In Lanayru, citizens constantly await the return of Yedit, who has for a few years abandoned Lanayru in search for some new threat. As scriptures of ancient times told of Heroes leaving their countries to travel the entire world. Yedit, who was admired by these old tales did the same, and has still yet to return. Is Yedit still alive? The citizens of Lanayru wondered.

Also, rumors gathered that Moblins have been appearing in places around Hyrule, which left people concerned of Ganon's possible return to the world of Hyrule.

With Ganon, and the Undead Deity dead, and the Souls of Power put to rest. Hyrule is surrounded by a cloud of mystery, and a new threat appears to be surfacing. It is up to Link to find out who is pulling the strings to what could be Hyrule's demise, and end all the rumors once and for all. All while trying to unravel the dark sensations that he is feeling within.

Features

- Upgradable items.
- Two new Heroes.
- New villians
- Fresh new story influinced by a classic.
- A huge and highly detailed overworld separated by 3 provinces.
- Plot twists.
- A different final boss (Not Dark Link)
- New dungeon ideas and concepts. (ex: pirate ships).
- Fresh and fun gameplay design.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 29 April 2012 - 04:40 AM.

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Amazing!!!!
(and I never said this right when knowing only the quest title and nothing else so far, so you W I N)

How far you are? You finish by the time I finish playing SoW1?

So this will be the SoW/LI hybrid graphics quest? That must rock insanely hard. SoW is already my 2nd favourite quest, so I have expectations high about SoW2.

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

I already have a demo released of chapter 1. You should try it out. This quest will be the most unique quest I ever made as I will test some brand new ideas, which you will clearly notice in the demo.

#4 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

Well, I tried the demo out. I liked the new addition to the beginning the flowers etc. and shadows. At first I was walking around the flowers and thinking you put pretty little obstacles in my way so it would be harder to avoid the enemies but then realized you could walk on them. It wasn't so hard then. icon_biggrin.gif

I see you fixed all the bugs from the first demo except going in the mushroom hut. I went in and got stuck and F6. No problem. I know you probably have something in mind for it. But until you fix it like you want you should put boards across the door so people like me don't go in to explore. icon_lol.gif

The boss on the bridge looks familiar I seen him before somewhere. He wasn't too much trouble. His little buddies were a little bit of pain. In the dialogue with the guy on the bridge the word 'decieving' is spelled wrong. It is 'deceiving'.

The screen where you get the feather and the one above it, the ground looks like it could use something. The rest looks nice.

In the 'Forest Passage' that was fun I liked it. But it looks like your walking on the wall and not on the walkway all the way through it.

You should keep making this quest. Looking forward to the completion. icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT:

I agree with Jared that the subscreen in the 'Prologue' probably isn't necessary. IMHO I think it would look better if it started with just the word 'Prologue' in the middle of the black screen.

The newest update is in post#16.

Edited by Artistic, 22 March 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#5 Bennettryann

Bennettryann

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

nice i liked the original sow it has to be my favorite quest so far

Edited by Bennettryann, 19 March 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Artistic @ Mar 19 2012, 06:11 AM) View Post

Well, I tried the demo out. I liked the new addition to the beginning the flowers etc. and shadows. At first I was walking around the flowers and thinking you put pretty little obstacles in my way so it would be harder to avoid the enemies but then realized you could walk on them. It wasn't so hard then. icon_biggrin.gif

I see you fixed all the bugs from the first demo except going in the mushroom hut. I went in and got stuck and F6. No problem. I know you probably have something in mind for it. But until you fix it like you want you should put boards across the door so people like me don't go in to explore. icon_lol.gif

The boss on the bridge looks familiar I seen him before somewhere. He wasn't too much trouble. His little buddies were a little bit of pain. In the dialogue with the guy on the bridge the word 'decieving' is spelled wrong. It is 'deceiving'.

The screen where you get the feather and the one above it, the ground looks like it could use something. The rest looks nice.

In the 'Forest Passage' that was fun I liked it. But it looks like your walking on the wall and not on the walkway all the way through it.

You should keep making this quest. Looking forward to the completion. icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT:

I agree with Jared that the subscreen in the 'Prologue' probably isn't necessary. IMHO I think it would look better if it started with just the word 'Prologue' in the middle of the black screen.

I'm putting the last demo link here in this thread.
darknesswithin.zip]My Webpage

As for some things that should be fixed I overlooked, ya definitely.

I know the cave looks odd. But you can call that a sort of "1st draft until I find something that looks better. This game will feature alot of caves like this, so it is important I do get that right. icon_smile.gif

As for the boss, he's actually a modified sprite of Cecil from Final Fantasy 4. I of course thought using Cecil would be lane so I edited him just enough so it wouldn't be so obvious.

Progress report: I am currently working on Chapter 2, the setting is Link's island which is finally given a name. It will be titled Eldin Island. You will recieve your first magic spell. It will be the ruppee medallion, you will need to collect the two halfs, and it replaces the arrow and will have the attack power of the silver arrow. I am continuing to stray from "true arrows" as this spell literally throws rupees to defeat foes. I decided to make a full magic bar to prevent frustration of running out of magic too quickly.

Eldin Island will be alot bigger of a town since Hyrule's investment. It will also include a mini cave dungeon. You begin in the night time during heavy fog. In the morning you will set sail on a ship to the new world, and that's when the adventure really begins.

#7 Colossal

Colossal

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

I will certainly be looking forward to seeing this quest completed as well. The demo is already an example of uniqueness. I like how the sword... doesn't quite work like it used to. icon_lol.gif

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

So I just started creating the magics that will replace the traditional items. They are all in the works, and I promise you they will provide a unique experience in itself.

Like the bomb has been replaced by Summon Keese. Unlike traditional bombs you can add up to 20 of these guys on a screen at a time. A single keese will multiply and become electric, zapping opponents, and without the limitation of laying one at a time, you can land many and make an extremely powerful assault, but it will eat your magic like crazy if you do so.

The boomerang has been replaced by a newly modified magic key. There is nothing overly special about it, but of course I will more than likely add special kind of key holes for this guy. This spell as well uses magic.

During the course of making this game, I will pay extra attention to how these items consume magic, and make things as appropriate as possible.

This game will have a huge leveling up system, as all these spells will require you to purchase them. Upgrades will increase power, decrease magic consumption, and add extra features. It will be similar to the leveling up system from Zelda 2, but I would rather keep it more traditional to the Zelda series in making them purchasable from the ruppee system rather than creating an experience points system.

I will be fare and provide more than enough dough to level yourself up to good standards at each given occasion, but I will not spoil people.

I will give you caution that once you reach chapter 4, that enemies Abilities will increase substantially with every chapter, but so will your item upgrades and sword upgrades. So this game will have an RPG element that is even stronger than what Zelda has ever been before. But I am willing to take these risks to make a completely unique gaming experience.

I just hope I have the time for all this! Lol

Progress report: Still working on the design of Eldin Island, and completed making the ship you will depart in.

Fans who've faithfully played Souls of Wisdom will truely enjoy returning to this Island. But there is no Temple of Cole nearby. Haha!

#9 Bennettryann

Bennettryann

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

nice once again cole ur out doing yourself yet again

#10 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Progress Report: Still working on Chapter 2, progress is slow though I am working extensively. Eldin Island is not nearly as small as it was in the prequel. I am nearly completed the Landscape and I will soon be adding the village. I am hoping to have the island completed tonight, than I will add the first stage more than likely tomorrow.

#11 Bennettryann

Bennettryann

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

before i forget cole when do u expect to release this or do u not have a date yet

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I do plan on getting it completed.

Edit: oops! I read that wrong. No release date yet.

Progress report:

- The island is nearly completed and I just started drawing the first real level. But it's going to be one of many mini dungeons in this game. I am planning on pulling a gameplay mechanic from Skyward Sword by making some parts of the overworld dungeon like, these will often be found before the real dungeons.

- I edited the subscreen so that it supports the crystal system rather than the Triforce system. There will still be The 8 formula, but only 6 crystals. I noticed with my previous attempt to disable items, they did not work on sub items. So now they are just images that represents the sub items that are displayed with the first piece is collected, and since you begin this quest with it, all the sub items appear great. The second piece represents the act of getting your 6 crystals, they will all be faded until they are returned to their statues. A counter will also be added telling you how many crystals you have left.

All in all, there is alot of testing involved in this scheme, alot of trial and error. I will continue to work on this.

I am sending Artistic an email with the file now. icon_smile.gif Anybody interested in seeing more of what this quest has to offer? There really isn't much new, just the Island. The quest ends in the first level because I purposely created a dead end at the beginning of it. I am planning on sticking to my goal of keeping as much detail in this quest as possible, I am not persuing perfection though.

So who wants to try the new update?

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 21 March 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#13 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

I do! Right now!
But I'll just say it. Link looks terrible and ugly. :I

Edited by Jared, 21 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#14 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

What? Lol

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

I think what Jared was trying to convey is that your current Link sprites are less than desirable and it might be in your best interest to get some new ones. I don't quite see anything wrong myself, but Jared is the Link sprite master here, not me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users