Tricks of The Trade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#61 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:56 PM

Mmm this is a graphic pointer. If you have like 3 different versions of animated flowers, then set them at slightly different speeds. like one at 7, another at 8, and final one at 9. It makes it look a little more "natural"

#62 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:00 PM

2.11 only (well, or higher ofcourse):

ALttP star tile madness.

A little explanation for this... You do know of these, right? The tiles with a star on them that when you step on them, rise and lower certain blocks. Found in ALttP starting from the big tower level where you get that item that prevents you from being bunnyfied in the Dark World.

So, here's how it goes. It's pretty complicated, but I'll try my best:

First of all, this won't work on dungeon dmaps, so use a cave (or overworld).
Then, make the following combos:

#1 -A "permanent trigger" tile that looks like a yellow star (or anything you like ofcourse).
#2 -A tile with the graphic of a pushed down star tiles.
#3 -Another star tile with the "reset room" combo on it.
#4 -A solid block that is risen.
#5 -And an unsolid block that is lowered.

Make your first screen on any screen besides screen 00. We'll take screen 10 then.

Example of the combos

Good, now you put combo #1 #2 #4 and #5 in a room which you are going to test it out on.
On combo #1 you place flag 16, which becomes combo #2 when stepped on.
On combo #2 you place flag 17, which becomes combo #3 when you step on combo #1.
On combo #4 you place flag 18, a lowered block.
And on combo #5 you place flag 19, a risen block.

Go to the screen flags and then select the Room State Carryover. Make the roomstate carry over to screen 11 on the same map.

Do the same for screen 11. But make the roomstate carry over to room 10.

Screen 10 can both activate and deactivate secrets on any other room (besides room 00) this way. And screen 11 now does the same too.

(I think that's it...) Voila, you now have your very own ALttP-style puzzle. Be proud of yourself.

If you want more screens with those rising and lowering blocks, make all roomstates carryovers connect to one another. (10 > 11 > 12 > 25 > 63 > 37 > whichever screens you're using > 10)

One thing, if you want to combocycle the animation of the lowering and rising blocks, keep in mind that they will show once you enter the screen and you activated them. Also, stepping on the reset combo won't show you an animation when they change situation, so you might want to make both the rising and lowering animations to occur when you enter a screen, no matter what the screen carryover situation is.

I think I talked a bit too complicated up there... >_>

#63 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:19 AM

Hey Mr. Z, you don't need to use the reset room combo, you know. You can simply set up tiered secrets which switch back and forth between an up block and a down block, and a lit up star and a grayed out star. icon_razz.gif Then you just place flags over the switches you placed in the room to make them change when you step on them. Although that switching switches in another room through the room state carryover is a new thing. icon_biggrin.gif

#64 Dream Illusionist

Dream Illusionist

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

I dunno if this has been explained here already, but if not...

Lock Blocks that reveal secrets (sort of)

I found this out, as a way to repair bridges, reveal cave entrances, etc in another place than the lock block is. Note that no secret combos are used:

1- Make a lock block on the map.

2- Make a lock block (copycat) combo in which the tile is the one covering the secret. (mountain wall covering cave, for example)

3- Make the combo next to the lock block copycat in the combo table the one that's covered.

4- As soon as the lock block is unlocked, the copycat one will turn into the combo on the right, revealing a secret ^^

Brief explanation:

Lock blocks, once are pushed with a akey, turn to the combo on their right in the combo table.
Lock Blocks (copycat) make that once a Lock block (normal) is opened, they're also opened (transforming into te combo on their right in the combo table)

It's a good way to hide secret dungeons or keys that open up bridges and such.

^^

Edited by Sylph, 05 March 2006 - 10:49 AM.

#65 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

Very, very nice. icon_smile.gif TEchniques like this are the envy of the ZC World. ^.~ Plus, now that we also have Step-->Next () Combos and Treasure Chest Combos, (Which you push.) you can do this trick without needing to spend a key if you so desire. icon_smile.gif

Layering tricks are so useful. ^-^ Combined with Combo Cycling On Layers, it just works wonders. icon_smile.gif

#66 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

This is an detail tip about floors. Be creative with youre floors! For instance
user posted image
This just looks kinda well... bland. Not bad, but it gives the house a netural look.
user posted image
Now in this one, we take tiles that arent meant to be floors, non less house floors, and make them the standard flooring. Gives you feel of "tiles" on the floor.
user posted image
This just gives the house a kinda, wacky look.
user posted image
Here we take 2 more tiles that are actually overworld ones, and put them togeher for this. Looks kinda more like a realistic house.
user posted image
This tile (which I cant even remeber what it was) gives one the impression of a carpeted floor. Maybe for like a kids house this would work.
user posted image
Taking a mountain and making it a flooring gives a kinda "stoney feel to it"..

So in conclusion, experiment with other tiles, different palltes, almost anything will give it the right impression.

#67 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

Holy crud, ZC-N, ... ... I would've never thought of that. I mean, I used to do that all the time back in 1.90 when we were restricted and stuff, but ... geez. I guess uniformity really does make or break a floor. ^-^ ... Or something like that.

I'll definitely be using this in the future. icon_wink.gif Thanks.

#68 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(Rakki @ Mar 1 2006, 09:19 AM)
Hey Mr. Z, you don't need to use the reset room combo, you know.  You can simply set up tiered secrets which switch back and forth between an up block and a down block, and a lit up star and a grayed out star.  icon_razz.gif  Then you just place flags over the switches you placed in the room to make them change when you step on them.  Although that switching switches in another room through the room state carryover is a new thing.  icon_biggrin.gif

View Post

I know, but that doesn't work on distant screens. That's why I wrote this, for use on distant screens.
It comes down to it that you can both activate and deactivate secrets on distant screens.
Also, Step > Next doesn't register as a secret for the next screen, so you'll have to use secret flags.

#69 Johan

Johan

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Mar 6 2006, 06:31 AM)
I know, but that doesn't work on distant screens. That's why I wrote this, for use on distant screens.
It comes down to it that you can both activate and deactivate secrets on distant screens.
Also, Step > Next doesn't register as a secret for the next screen, so you'll have to use secret flags.

View Post

Oooo... icon_eek.gif Now I get it how the screen carryover feature is useful! Thanks Mr. Z!

This feature will be cool for custom bosses! icon_thumbsup.gif Like for example you have a sequence of screens for the bosses attacks but if you manage to hurt the boss early enough then the boss will be disabled in the remaining screenies. Makes custom bosses a better experience!

#70 GloveMage of Darkness

GloveMage of Darkness

Initiate

• Members

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

You can speed up making big combo sets if you go to the combo page and make 4 combos and then
copy them to the next 4 combos ,select all 8 and copy agen. Each time you do this it effectivly dubbles
itself if done properly.

Another trick, on the main editer if you hold ctrl and left click, it fills the clicked on combo with the salected combo going
hor, and ver,

Not shere on older versions but works in 2.10 and 2.11.

Edited by GloveMage of Darkness, 20 March 2006 - 05:00 AM.

#71 VideoGameKraz

VideoGameKraz

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

That's called Filling Combos. If you right click on the screen, you can change how it fills. Just go to Fill type, and choose an option.

#72 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

Floor Tile Puzzles
Requires 2.11 Beta 10 or higher

user posted image

This trick allows one to create puzzles almost like the floor tile puzzles in the GB/GBA Zelda games. This is not exactly the same though... as you are rushed through this puzzle. If you don't step off of a tile soon enough, it will turn red and reset the puzzle (stepping on red tiles resets the puzzle). Also, you will have to do the floor puzzle before the sword switch on the top right works. This was done by design. icon_blah.gif

I tend to suck at explaining things, so I made an example quest instead. I'll just throw up some notes about this quest and then provide the link.
  • This is a QSU file. You will have to import it into a new quest file and then save. I did this for size reasons.
  • The combos for the main bulk of this puzzle are at the end of combo page 14.
  • I already know this is not exactly cheat proof or anything. I just rushed this for the concept. It's up to you however cheat proof you want these things to be.
  • I took advantage of singular flags, inherit combos, and All Triggers -> Secrets. This is why the blue combos are set with "Reflected Magic" inherit flags.
  • Like I said... I can't explain this that well, so someone needs to like... do it for me. icon_blah.gif
  • This will not work with Z3 Movement until beta 11.
And now... for the download. icon_wink.gif

http://nick.purezc.c...ile_Example.zip

#73 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:08 PM

Ah, that's so cool, and it's a lot better than the way I made it work on older betas, which were limited to 15 tiles.
I'll so be using this...
(Try combining it with other stuff as well, like having to use the ladder)

It doesn't work perfectly though.
Say this is the situation:

O
O

O's are step next. If Link steps right between them and the linked combos rule is on (Should always be on because it owns ya) the top one gets lighted, but the bottom one stays blue.
And if there is no Step > Next above you, the bottom one won't get activated anyway. So you'll have to stand on it completely, which allows you to cheat the puzzle.

Edited by Mr. Z, 24 March 2006 - 01:39 PM.

#74 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:03 PM

Step->next combos have been tweaked in beta 11. It should work much better, especially for these types of puzzles.

#75 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:17 AM

Jman: Step -> Next combos (MUST be fully on it) and Sensitive Step -> Next combos? Is that what beta 11 will have? icon_razz.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users