Photo

Problem with saves

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Elias

Elias

• Members

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

Hi. Sorry if this doesn't belong here, I don't know where I can put it.

My problem is this. I open Zelda Classic and it tells me that the save can't be opened. I try closing and opening the program again, and by opening by the launcher, and it still persists. I always save a backup in case, but it is annoying that I can't finish any quest because of this, and it discourages me when I want to play.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

If it helps, it's 2.53.

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:46 AM

What version of Windows? Did you change the .sav filename (ZCL, the auncher allows this), and is it 2.53.0R2 or a 2.53.1 beta? Are you exiting cleanly, or force closing ZC Player somehow? If you quit by closing the (old) console, then the .sav is not being created. This occurs when you exit properly via File->Exit, or ZC->Exit.

#3 Elias

Elias

• Members

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:38 AM

What version of Windows? Did you change the .sav filename (ZCL, the auncher allows this), and is it 2.53.0R2 or a 2.53.1 beta? Are you exiting cleanly, or force closing ZC Player somehow? If you quit by closing the (old) console, then the .sav is not being created. This occurs when you exit properly via File->Exit, or ZC->Exit.

Windows 10.

I didn't change the name.

I guess it's 2.53.1 (that's the name in the RAR).

I always close the quest and then control+f10.

What happens is that it says that the save was found, but can't open. I normally can play for some sessions, and then I suddendly need to create a new save.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:15 PM

A few other questions. Have you tried running ZC as administrator. Windows 10 has some really weird file permissions sometimes. Also, is the folder inadvertently set to read only? If you right click in the folder and select properties, you might see Read-only checked. I'd try unchecking that. The last thing I can think is that antivirus might be trying to quarantine the save file. I've never seen them go after that particular aspect before (usually they freak out at temporary files made when compiling scripts, or at the debug console), but it's a possibility.

#5 Elias

Elias

• Members

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:45 PM

I've tried as admin and doesn't work. And the file isn't read only. I don't know how to check for the antivirus stuff.

Also, it says something about rebooting the program. That's just closing and opening the program again?

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:57 AM

Windows 10.

I didn't change the name.

I guess it's 2.53.1 (that's the name in the RAR).

I always close the quest and then control+f10.

What happens is that it says that the save was found, but can't open. I normally can play for some sessions, and then I suddendly need to create a new save.

Wait a moment... The RAR?

ZC is distributed as a ZIP. From where did you download it, and what is the specific version info (screenshot please)?

You should only ever download ZC builds from either zeldaclassic.com or from timelord.insomnia247.nl (where I post intermediates, and archives). 

You should not hold control while pressing F10, although that has nothing to do with this issue. 

What is the absolute path of zelda.exe on your system? It could be that you have it located in a place where yur host OS blocks it from creating new files, and that is what I suspect here. 

#7 Elias

Elias

• Members

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:11 PM

Wait a moment... The RAR?

ZC is distributed as a ZIP. From where did you download it, and what is the specific version info (screenshot please)?

You should only ever download ZC builds from either zeldaclassic.com or from timelord.insomnia247.nl (where I post intermediates, and archives). 

You should not hold control while pressing F10, although that has nothing to do with this issue. 

What is the absolute path of zelda.exe on your system? It could be that you have it located in a place where yur host OS blocks it from creating new files, and that is what I suspect here. 

Sorry. My bad. It's a ZIP. I don't know the difference, and it has the same icon that a RAR in my computer. I did downloaded it from zeldaclassic.com.

I hold control because that's the only way the shortcuts work in my computer. If I don't, for example, f6 just mutes the sound.

I don't know what you mean by the absolute path, or the OS blocks.

The files are created, the thing is that I can't open them sometimes (the current one is working, and I hope it doesn't happen again (I had to delete the previous one))

How can I post a screenshot? I doesn't allow me to do so because of the extensions.

Thanks for the help. And sorry for the inconveniences. Great game btw, I'm loving it.

#8 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:23 PM

I don't know what you mean by the absolute path, or the OS blocks.

Probably the entire program directory, so something like "C:\Users\Elias\Games\ZC 2.53.1\" or wherever you installed it.

"OS blocks" meaning newer versions of Windows will prevent you from writing files to certain locations, so if you installed in one of those locations, Windows may be blocking any changes or updates that your programs are trying to make.

#9 Elias

Elias

• Members

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

Probably the entire program directory, so something like "C:\Users\Elias\Games\ZC 2.53.1\" or wherever you installed it.

"OS blocks" meaning newer versions of Windows will prevent you from writing files to certain locations, so if you installed in one of those locations, Windows may be blocking any changes or updates that your programs are trying to make.

I see.

C:\Users\usuario\Desktop\Nueva carpeta\Juegos\Zelda Classic

That's it. Anything else?

#10 Zplayer

Zplayer

• Members

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:40 PM

I'm having this same problem. I'm using beta 2.53.1. I have no idea how to fix it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users