Photo

What will you do when 2.5 comes out?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Don't work without a title

Gotta have some content too

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

So what will you do?

I was thinking earlier and I got a bit worried when I realised that some people might well stick to 2.10 even when 2.5 is actually released.

This topic isn't particularily applicable to people who are already using a beta, but I put the option in anyway.
'Spose it might be nice to see numbers of people using a beta now though.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

I'd be happy that it's finally out. I'd be happy that people would start using it. And I'd be happy that the database here would start accepting 2.5 submissions. So essentially, I'd be happy. icon_smile.gif

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm already using a beta. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Russ, 03 May 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

I'm using a beta already.

Hopefully I can finish up BotA.

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

Depends. Now I'm using 2.10 for all my own quests/miniquests and using the {$ß#&@}#Í€ betas for the painful NTAEL making.

Having no bugs isn't enough, the features must be balanced (if there's a sword spin ability, be there a sword spin secret flag, etc.) and mechanics must be acceptable (the 2.10 way of assigning undercombos instead of the current one).

I will also see the comments on the first 2.5 quests. If the players will demand 2.5 feature for the sole purpose of having 2.5 features, then I don't know what happens, but that happening surely won't be that I but scripted FFCs, scripted items and room state carry overs everywhere just so that they are there.

I currently don't have any faith in a stable 2.5 any this century (there already were many occassions when it was told that it comes in a month or a week, yet it's still not here and is still too buggy to make me truly enjoy making NTAEL even though some dare telling that it's more stable than 2.10...)

In fact, I imagine that if there indeed be a 2.5, first I wait a month or two to see if any hidden (maybe fatal) errors are found by questmakers, then if everything is OK, I will make the not fully Zelda-ish games (Banjo-Spyrooie, Ultima) on 2.5, while still making the Zelda-ish Bloodline and Ellivenia quests on 2.10.

Hey, I don't have problems even with those whos still prefer 1.90/92 nowadays...

#5 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

I'd stay with 2.10 until my current quest is finished, then switch over to 2.5.

#6 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

Well, assuming 2.5 comes out (and I mean with as many or fewer bugs than 2.10.....Just shoving it out the door because you're sick of looking at it doesn't count), I will prostrate myself before the golden 7 foot tall statue of classic Link I have in my room and blubber like a baby, all the while chanting shallowly in an undertone "Free at last, free at last.......".

Um.....I'll be happy. In other words. Extremely so.

#7 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

Already using them here too. In fact, the betas are the only versions I have on this computer right now. Been messing with them a lot lately, and just started trying to figure out the scripting and FFC stuff, though EWeapons seem to hate me for some reason, and item scripts hate me as well.

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

Well, for "The Underworld", no, but for "Liberation of Skanteron", I probably would upgrade it to 2.5, atleast after I plan all the 2.5 elements.IPB Image

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 03 May 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#9 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

Well, the betas are just not working out when I make games because I have to update them all of the time, and I am tired of doing that, hence the disappearance of Shoelace. So I would definitely jump ship and go to 2.5 when it is released. <3

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

So, I guess it's presumed that everybody using a beta will upgrade to 2.5 as soon as it is released?

I really do hope 2.5 is stable enough that nobody has any motive to stick with one of the 2.5 betas/builds...

#11 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I would download it.
Then use it.
Then have a tea party with it.
Then neglect it.
Then marry it.
Then divorce it.
Then take half its money.

#12 Fox

Fox

Will the Hero rise again?

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'd ideally start using 2.5 when it comes out. Right now, I play around with the betas every once in a while (a long while), but I'd rather wait for a fully-supported version to come out before I throw all my weight behind a project.

And when 2.5 comes out, I'd like to see it as the standard by almost any measuring stick (except perhaps simplicity). By that, I mean I hope it's the least buggy while being able to do what any previous version was able to do. I hope the only reason anyone would like to use a previous version would be to make learning ZQ easier by having fewer options to play with. Speaking of, when 2.5 is eventually released, I still support the idea of "ZC Lite" as the next project. I'd be a stripped-down version of ZC that would allow new users to learn the basics of ZQ without worrying about all the advanced features and general tweaking the full version allows. As ZC has grown more and more complex, I think it's essential that there exist a more user-friendly "lite" version of ZC so people can learn more easily without becoming overwhelmed. As an additional benefit, new betas wouldn't be started for quite some time, meaning everyone would be using the same, full version without hesitating over what the future might bring. That would bring some much-needed stability to the ZC fanbase.

#13 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

Its release date was back in like 2006, wasn't it? Its already out....

...Oh yeah... that didn't end up happening... *sigh*

Seriously, though, I would probably start using it.

#14 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Maybe I'll get back into ZC again.
...in which case, I'll be using 2.5 for sure.

#15 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

Well, I'm already using a beta, so... icon_razz.gif

But I'd be happy that it's finally out, and I'd download it so I can stop having to upgrade every week or so. icon_confused.gif I'm also really hoping it'll cause a boom in the number of ZC users.

But 2.5's not out yet, so... icon_frown.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users