Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#16 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

The main reason I was hoping for clones getting cut was because Smash has a tendency to cut clones or near clones from the roster to make room for more fighters on the roster. Roy, Pichu and Dr Mario were all cut from Melee because they were clones while Young Link became Toon Link and Mewtwo ended up getting replaced by Lucario due to having a similar moveset. The same thing happened with Brawl, except Ice Climbers also got cut because the 3DS couldn't handle them.

All things considered, I don't think any of the clones (or semi-clones) have a secure spot in the roster unless they are iconic characters like Falco.

Edited by Orithan, 11 March 2018 - 04:54 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#17 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

The main reason I was hoping for clones getting cut was because Smash has a tendency to cut clones or near clones from the roster to make room for more fighters on the roster.

This isn't exactly true. Clones don't take up space on the roster, generally speaking. As an example, with regards to Smash 4's three big clones (Lucina, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit), Sakurai stated that they took up very little development and didn't take a spot that another character might have gotten. Had they not existed, there would not have been three different characters there.

While Roy, Pichu, and Dr. Mario were cut after Melee, this was more likely than not because Roy was only in Melee to advertise his game, which had not yet come out at Melee's launch, and Pichi and Dr. Mario were just objectively worse versions of Pikachu and Mario.
  • Jared likes this

#18 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

This isn't exactly true. Clones don't take up space on the roster, generally speaking. As an example, with regards to Smash 4's three big clones (Lucina, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit), Sakurai stated that they took up very little development and didn't take a spot that another character might have gotten. Had they not existed, there would not have been three different characters there.

There is also the matter of the number of characters available vs the space on the character select screen; plus the ire most of the clones get from the fanbase. You can't include too many clones in the roster over other fighters.

While Roy, Pichu, and Dr. Mario were cut after Melee, this was more likely than not because Roy was only in Melee to advertise his game, which had not yet come out at Melee's launch, and Pichi and Dr. Mario were just objectively worse versions of Pikachu and Mario.

And guess why Lucas and Wolf got cut from Brawl, despite them not being the main characters of any of the current games at the time :P

Edited by Orithan, 11 March 2018 - 05:08 PM.

#19 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:07 AM

Is there a picture of all the new character designs?

#20 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

I just hope they keep Sonic ;o also I would like some of the bland clones getting cut to make getting achievements like complete a mode with each character less repetitive.

Edited by Avataro, 12 March 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#21 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

Do we even know if it's an actual new game in the series or just a Switch port of Smash 4?

#22 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Mewtwo ended up getting replaced by Lucario due to having a similar moveset. 

They actually only had one similar move, which was probably just a coincidence all things considered.

Do we even know if it's an actual new game in the series or just a Switch port of Smash 4?

Nothing is confirmed, but I feel like they would've just said if it was a port. Most people seem to believe that it's a new game at the moment.

I honestly hope it isn't just a port.

#23 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

Well... looks like I definitely need Bomberman for Smash right now.

Sry for this weird imagination of mine.

#24 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

https://twitter.com/...678088278560768

Confirmed going to see more at E3 (as if there were any doubt), and they're going to demo it on the show floor right after the presentation during Treehouse Live. Giddy.

• Jared likes this

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

Well... looks like I definitely need Bomberman for Smash right now.

Sry for this weird imagination of mine.

I don't think that's out of the question seeing as how there's a Bomberman game on the Switch.

#26 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

He's already been in a Smash game:

DreamMix_TV_World_Fighters_Coverart.png

(Dream Mix TV World Fighters)

• Anthus likes this

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Here's the entire showcase from the E3 presentation. Lot of new stuff in there. Two major highlights:

- Every Smash character ever is back. Every. Not an exaggeration. Yes, this includes Pichu, Wolf, and Snake.

- Ridley is playable. The meme is real.

• Adem and Yloh like this

#28 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

I am shook. Watching the livestream was pure sensory overload, and I am going to be processing all of this information until the game's release date.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#29 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

At the risk of coming across as spamming:

N U T

also hi im daisy

• Anthus and Jared like this

#30 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:18 PM

I'm screaming. In love with Link's Tunic of the Wild too!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users