twilight princess remake hd wii u majoras mask wind waker ocarina

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

We can however look at MM3D as a product, and right now it looks very much like they're mostly reusing assets from their Ocarina of Time remake. This reduces the cost of development by a great deal, but unless I am completely wrong, this is also a brand new engine compared to the modified Mario 64 engine that was used in the original two games. Meaning that they probably can't just import everything from MM, add the new textures on top and call it a day.

You're completely wrong, Ocarina of Time 3D's engine is just a slightly tweaked N64 OoT engine. A few bugs from the N64 were fixed, but the same general speedrunning and TAS strategies are available. Wrong warping, HESS, bombchu hovering... I think those are in the 3DS version. Now it's quite probably that they will add a MQ mode (which will be just a mirrored world with double the damage, I call it), higher resolution textures, different ilumination, superguide... but the engine will be mostly the same. If Index Warping is in the 3DS version, or the port shares the same bugs as Oot 3D... then they just imported everything from MM, added the new textures on top and called it a day.

Now I think they had this portmake made a long tine ago and they're releasing it now because it's the "correct time". OoT 3D was released in 2011, WWHD was released in 2013, now they will release MM 3D in 2015.

Edited by Maleboocado, 11 November 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#32 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

You're completely wrong, Ocarina of Time 3D's engine is just a slightly tweaked N64 OoT engine. A few bugs from the N64 were fixed, but the same general speedrunning and TAS strategies are available. Wrong warping, HESS, bombchu hovering... I think those are in the 3DS version. Now it's quite probably that they will add a MQ mode (which will be just a mirrored world with double the damage, I call it), higher resolution textures, different ilumination, superguide... but the engine will be mostly the same. If Index Warping is in the 3DS version, or the port shares the same bugs as Oot 3D... then they just imported everything from MM, added the new textures on top and called it a day.

Now I think they had this portmake made a long tine ago and they're releasing it now because it's the "correct time". OoT 3D was released in 2011, WWHD was released in 2013, now they will release MM 3D in 2015.

I'm unable to find any statements from Nintendo that indicates that it's running on the same engine (or at least a modified one), and Nintendo and Grezzo actually specifically said that they did 'implement' certain bugs from the original, to please hardcore fans. So I wouldn't be so sure when it comes to what engine the remakes are actually running on, but if you're right then it would mean that the cost of developing this remake is even lower. Not that it matters. I always assumed they were running on a new engine, seeing as how OoT3D really does play much better than the original. It doesn't feel like it's the same code powering it, and I'm still pretty sure it isn't. If anything, it plays much closer to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, so I always assumed they were running on an engine similar to those games. It may be that it's all the same engine that has seen multiple iterations, but seeing as how the old one was made for such an old system as the Nintendo 64, I highly doubt that's what they'd be using today. Even for the remakes.

#33 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

I think the smoother animations, higher framecount and the different controls are cheating you. Anyway why would Nintendo say this is just a port of the original N64 game with a few changes here and there? They want to sell copies, they're gonna sell the port as if it were a remake made from scratch. Same with Wind Waker HD, add a turbo mode, new shaders and more clues and hey, it's completely new! [/Kappa]

Anyway I have decided to check ZeldaChaos (one of the main resources for Zelda glitches) and ZeldaSpeedRuns, and while the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time has its own exclusive glitches, Oot Master Quest (which was a hacked version of the original N64 roms) also had its own glitches. Croocked cartridge-related glitches cannot be performed, but many others like swordless Link, flying Link with the hookshot, bottle adventure, mega flip and many other glitches are still in the game. So, same engine. Coupled with key speedrunning techniques... either they did an insane impressive work, or a copy paste.

EDIT: See this.
http://forums.zeldas...php?topic=760.0
https://spreadsheets...FhMm8wRHc&hl=en

Edited by Maleboocado, 11 November 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#34 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

Crooked Cartridge wasn't in Master Quest because it was on the Game Cube :P

Yeah, I totally agree with you though, we the heck would they make a new engine for MM? That makes no sense.

-Strike

#35 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:06 PM

Sorry, I think I didn't make it clear. The Crooked Cartridge part refers to the 3DS version.

#36 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think the smoother animations, higher framecount and the different controls are cheating you. Anyway why would Nintendo say this is just a port of the original N64 game with a few changes here and there? They want to sell copies, they're gonna sell the port as if it were a remake made from scratch. Same with Wind Waker HD, add a turbo mode, new shaders and more clues and hey, it's completely new! [/Kappa]

Anyway I have decided to check ZeldaChaos (one of the main resources for Zelda glitches) and ZeldaSpeedRuns, and while the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time has its own exclusive glitches, Oot Master Quest (which was a hacked version of the original N64 roms) also had its own glitches. Croocked cartridge-related glitches cannot be performed, but many others like swordless Link, flying Link with the hookshot, bottle adventure, mega flip and many other glitches are still in the game. So, same engine. Coupled with key speedrunning techniques... either they did an insane impressive work, or a copy paste.

EDIT: See this.
http://forums.zeldas...php?topic=760.0
https://spreadsheets...FhMm8wRHc&hl=en

I'm sorry, but you just reiterated what you said earlier, and like I said, Nintendo specifically stated that they implemented 'bugs' in order to remain somewhat true to the original. It's a gesture towards hardcore fans and speedrunners. Now, the question is: if we assume they decided to use that specific wording (the usage of the word implemented), then it sounds like they had to add those into a game that was running on a new engine, hence lacking some of the issues in question. Problem is, we can't just assume that's what they meant, because the interview was obviously translated from japanese, and it is possible the original wording was lost in translation.

I can't find any real information about the question though, which has made me quite curious. See, I'm still reasonably sure we're talking about a new engine here, for multiple reasons. One of which being that the architecture that powered the N64 system simply isn't the same that's behind the 3DS, and considering the age gap, it is not unreasonable to think that it would be cheaper to just build something specifically optimized for the 3DS. On the other hand, I don't believe they made an engine from scratch though. Like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure (though not convinced) that the game is running on a modified engine similar to that of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. It's not just about framerates, the engine obviously handles a whole lot more compared to the original 64-engine. Stuff like added visual effects that would not work on a 64, the stereoscopic 3D, the new touch screen based controls, a shitton of brand new animations, not to mention more advanced animation systems in general. It obviously isn't a straight port, that much is clear. I mean, it can't be a straight port, there literally is no way that is true.

https://dl.dropboxus...-Some-Zelda.png

This image compares maps from the original to the 3DS version of Ocarina, and while this does not confirm that it uses a new engine, what it does show clearly is that this can't be a straight port. They didn't just slap on some new textures and call it a day, they clearly reconstructed the maps, because the geometry is not the exact same. There's also a lot of new geometry that has been added. It is possible the game runs on a heavily modified version of the same engine of course, but if that's the case then chances are we're talking about an engine so changed from the original that it would be pointless to look at it as the same thing. Again, I can't actually confirm any of this, because I can't find any official statements, or even any details hinting at the engine powering this game.

My point though is that you should be less sure than you seem to be, because I actually spent a lot of time looking around for an answer yesterday, and I found nothing to either confirm or deny this. The same goes for you, unless you stumbled upon something I did not. I don't really care if I'm right or wrong here, at this point I'm just really curious, but like I said, I don't believe it's the same engine. To me, everything seems to point away from that. If anyone has any concrete information about this to share, that would be fantastic.

#37 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

OK, a few things.

First, I wasn't reiterating what I said earlier. In my previous post I said I think bugs like HESS, wrong warping, etc, were in the 3DS version. Then I made some fact checking and I found out that, indeed, they are in the game.

Second, iirc (I'm not gonna check it now) I once read that the Mario 64 engine was written in Perl, meaning that the hardware-exclusive code must be altered, but the rest of the engine should be portable enough. Otherwise we should believe any port of any game was made from scratch, and anyway, we already have Starfox 64 3DS, which plays exactly the same as dedicated speedrunners pointed out. Which was also a N64 game. As a point for skepticism, the Ocarina of Time engine requires far more variables and interactions in mind. But the N64 was a 3D console. 3D engines are easier to port than hardware-specific 2D engines. This is why you usually see enhanced ports based on 3D-era games, because taking Super Mario World and enhancing it would require rewriting the game from scratch. Nintendo does not care for that.

Third, I don't claim to be an expert on N64 and 3DS-related things, and by no means I'm not a hacker. What I know (which is an incomplete information so far) is what I have read on dedicated websites and communities. But instead of taking Nintendo's word as granted and then questioning wheter this is a new engine or not, I want proofs from every side. Now this is what we have so far. You posted a comparison between some maps of every version, and while this confirms the maps have been at least altered, I don't think this confirms anything about the engine which uses and renders the maps. Nintendo and Grezzo have basically said nothing except that they have "implemented" bugs. And I have linked a topic were dedicated OoT speedrunners with far, far more knowledge of the game's technical details than you and me have basically tried every glitch and trick from the N64 version, and while some are unavailable in the 3DS, the vast amount can be performed the same way in the 3DS version. In any case, the speedrunners have basically said this is a enhanced port, but a port anyway, not a rewrite.

Can the OoT 3DS engine be a modified version of the engine which powered both WW and TP, which could be based on the original OoT engine which was a modified Mario 64 engine? Maybe. But then it does not explain how so many tricky glitches can be performed the same way as in the N64 version, because when companies tried to actually implement bugs, they usually only implement a few ones. Not hundreds. As I said, that would require a lot of dedicated input and hours of work for a very small market which anyways it already have the original version. Or that would require a lot of bugs from the N64 engine were fixed in WW and TP (because they aren't in those games) and then reimplemented again, which is the expensive route when they could have just copy-pasted the old code. Or that would mean those bugs from OoT N64 and 3DS are in WW and TP and speedrunners haven't found out yet, which has no sense because speedrunners by definition are very dedicated players which spend years trying to destroy the games they love. And indeed, OoT Any% is destroyed at this point.

Considering Nintendo has never really catered to the speedrunning community, I doubt they really went so far as to implement very obscure bugs only a few hundreds of peoole would knew about. Now, we have the staff superguides in NSMBWii, yes. But that's the exception which confirms the rule. This is also why I am so skeptical about their support of competitive Smashing, just when Smash 4 was gonna be released. Things gonna say wheter they're gonna extend their support for more years. And anyway, you can have new ilumination, stereoscopic 3D and the like, but the core of the engine be the same. This is what I'm talking about.

So... does we have a full confirmation? No. But if I'm gonna believe someone... I stick with the speedrunners and hackers.

Edited by Maleboocado, 12 November 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#38 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

I would not base my thoughts on what someone on some website who claimed to know things there is no way he could actually know, because again, Nintendo has not, as far as I can see, released any information that really, truly points either way. At least not officially. Now, I'm not saying they can't be right, but anyone can say anything on the internet, and if I'm not able to find a solid answer to this question, I highly doubt they would have. Being a 'speedrunner' in and of itself does not mean you have to know the inner details of a game. All it says is that you've played the game a lot, and that's not in any way mean they would have knowledge about the engine itself, and its origins.

As for your list of glitches, they haven't confirmed that hundreds of glitches exist in the 3DS-version, according to your own source, only a couple of those are actually confirmed to work in the 3DS remake.

Okay, so I'm really curious at this point, and I think we need a topic for this. It would be cool if we could get more people trying to figure this out, because the information might be out there, but so far my searches hasn't turned up with anything.

#39 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

Come on, Robin. I'm not a fan of Occam's razor, but let's gonna be serious here.

Do you think that current speedrunners are able to finish N64 Ocarina of Time Any% in less than 20 minutes with only defeating Gohma and Ganon, without opening the Door of Time, without completing the rest of Ganon's Tower, without completing any other dungeon or sidequest, and using a tricky glitch which involves memory addresses and abusing the game's warp system, without having debugged and exploited the game in real hardware and emulators, shared their knowledge and having practiced for years?

Because I have seen many videos and streams of them finding new optimized routes and bug-finding. Don't you believe me? Search for Index Warping (MM-related, but a clear example anyway) in Youtube. And ZSR is one of the main resources for Zelda speedrunning, so knowledge is shared there.

And you haven't read the 28-page topic on ZSR I have linked to you where the speedrunners have tried many glitches and even posted proofs of their execution.

I would also not base my thoughts on whatever the company says, because Nintendo is not a charity, and if by selling more copies they need to tell lies such as "Mewtwo being DLC because Melee's data is old", then they're gonna tell lies. Of course the truth can be more complex, I buy that. But I have seen speedrunners and hackers posting far more proof for their claims than any official company have made.

Edited by Maleboocado, 12 November 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#40 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

Why? 

OOT has better characters and npcs, better story, better music, better writing, better dungeons, better overworld, you have way more freedom, way more secrets and so on... 

The items in bold are heavily debatable, the items in blue are blatantly false. 

Nearly every individual component of Twilight Princess is superior to each individual component of Ocarina of Time. The discrepancy in the quality (the level that makes people appreciate the game) is that the sub-par components of Ocarina of Time are bound together very tightly, while the above-par components of Twilight Princess only loosely formed a complete game.

Ocarina of Time was not a particularly great game, but it was confident and stylistically consistent, and that instills the player with a confidence about the designer's intentions no matter what goes wrong. Twilight Princess had all the ingredients to make the best game in the franchise, but it failed on execution.

Edited by Fabbrizio, 12 November 2014 - 02:15 PM.

• Rambly, Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder and Shane like this

#41 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

This remake trend is getting old, why don't they just make a new zelda game? (besides the one coming next year I think)

#42 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

This remake trend is getting old, why don't they just make a new zelda game? (besides the one coming next year I think)

I think you just answered your own question, considering they're currently releasing new zelda titles at the same rate they always have (excepting the gap between Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time, about one every year and a half on average).

#43 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:13 AM

I simply assume the games are just the N64 games rewritten to take advantage of a modified emulator that emulates a theoretical N64 that features additional RAM, VRAM and a higher clock speed with all the bugs that these changes would introduce, ironed out.

You can already use texture replacement packs with existing N64 emulators and various video plugins allow for various 3D rendering modes (Glasses etc.). With the added processing power, RAM and VRAM they can just tack on some new character/environment models etc. to the world and buff the performance from 30~FPS to 60FPS, a HD texture pack doesn't require anything special to be done to the emulation.

Edited by franpa, 13 November 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#44 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

franpa is right, the only downside is that some HD texture packs take way too much memory. You'd have to sacrifice some of the pack to play it at all. When I played OoT master quest on an emulator with that Community HD retexture pack, it took a little more than 1 GB of memory, which might be due to algorithm inefficiencies.

Also with that Windwaker HD on the Wii U, if you have a fast computer (mines not fast enough) you can make the gamecube version look almost like the wii U,

its easy, desktop display -> 1920 x 1080; then internal resolution -> multiples of w/e the default was

The gamecube version doesn't have that extra lighting effect the wii U does

Edited by GhostKnight22, 13 November 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#45 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

The gamecube version doesn't have that extra lighting effect the wii U does

It also doesn't have the swift sail nor the expedited triforce hunt, which cut out some of the game's tedium (and this is coming from someone who considered the original to be god-tier).

• Shane likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twilight, princess, remake, hd, wii u, majoras, mask, wind, waker, ocarina

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users