Photo

Any tiles you want to see in the New BS set?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

As I'm compiling the fourth incarnation of the BS Tileset for ZC 2.5, I'd like to ask if there is anything you'd like to see in it. New items, new enemies, etc. Get me some sprites, and I'll see what I can do.

The GB/Newfirst/Pure stuff is going straight out. No ifs, ands, or buts. They don't match the style, and its saddening to me that they don't fit. I may draw/redraw some new stuff, hopefully keeping the BS style, and making a more simplified mountain set.for new-comers in mind.

#2 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

If it's not too much trouble, how about the Fused Shadows? Get the sprites from here.

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

I surely will have a look at the set (if it comes with 2.5 release) but I think I won't use it anyways, I'm too much into GB. However. Tile request? I guess everyone likes to spread around with little details, so put some in. Something to put into a forest, onto a mountain,...
And maybe you can include transparent water, that fits actually every set (even in classic it looks good icon_razz.gif).

So long, Shiek.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(T. Platinum @ Apr 17 2009, 12:06 AM) View Post

If it's not too much trouble, how about the Fused Shadows? Get the sprites from here.

I had to redraw them. They were huge. icon_razz.gif

Also, because I never played twilight princess, how many pieces of fused shadow were there?

QUOTE(Shiek @ Apr 17 2009, 08:53 AM) View Post

I surely will have a look at the set (if it comes with 2.5 release) but I think I won't use it anyways, I'm too much into GB. However. Tile request? I guess everyone likes to spread around with little details, so put some in. Something to put into a forest, onto a mountain,...
And maybe you can include transparent water, that fits actually every set (even in classic it looks good icon_razz.gif).

So long, Shiek.

You got specific tiles in mind for that? I don't know what looks good for transparent water, and I'd kinda need some underwater plants and such.

I'm also going to finish the BS Male and Female Mascot up. It might be useful some day to somebody. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Alestance, 17 April 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 17 2009, 06:18 PM) View Post

Also, because I never played twilight princess, how many pieces of fused shadow were there?
You got specific tiles in mind for that? I don't know what looks good for transparent water, and I'd kinda need some underwater plants and such.

I'm also going to finish the BS Male and Female Mascot up. It might be useful some day to somebody. icon_biggrin.gif

4 pieces but I sadly haven't played it, too (well, 15 minutes, ooray -.-).

Have you played OoA? I know it's Gb but they had some under water plants there. Shells and details for where ever are plenty in DoR, they might fit if you edit them a bit.

So long, Shiek.

Btw, that sprite sheet owns <insert unbeliefeable powerful thing here> oO. It's awesome!

#6 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

preview for input:

IPB Image

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 17 2009, 10:18 AM) View Post

That day may come a LOT sooner than you think icon_wink.gif

Those new tiles look great, By the way. icon_biggrin.gif Keep it up, dood.

#8 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

http://bszelda.zelda...t/bszelda.shtml
Go here and go to "bs zelda on pc"Then go to a legend of zelda the lost quest and go to screenshots.I think you should script that wallmonster boss.

#9 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

I don't need it. I got everything I need. icon_biggrin.gif

Just not enough input. Besides, if you want that wall monster boss, talk to a scripter. I'm not one of those. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Alestance, 17 April 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#10 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 17 2009, 09:18 AM) View Post

There were four-one on Midna, and 3 you had to look for. But looks like you got it already icon_biggrin.gif.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

Hmmm... last I checked, wasn't I the one releasing the "New BS" tilesets? I don't remember passing my project on to someone else. icon_razz.gif If you want to put out a BS tileset without my involvement, it'd be nice if you'd at least pick a new name for the tileset. It's not that I think no one else is capable of working with BS graphics. It's obviously quite doable, since Phantom Menace and VEL assembled most of the graphics before I even touched BS. However, I'm very proud of the organization scheme of New BS. If there's a chance that the organization scheme is going to be left behind, then the next tileset shouldn't carry the same title.

As for improvements that New BS needs, I think there should be a halt on the non-BS additions until all of the BS-specific ZQuest features that weren't employed in previous versions of the tileset have been covered. For instance, if I were to work on a version of New BS that uses the new ZC builds, the first thing I'd do would be to raid the main palette and the enemy editor to fix all the enemy CSets that couldn't have been corrected before. The second thing I'd do would be to recreate the subscreens exactly as they originally appeared in BS Legend of Zelda. These are subtle changes, but they help to make the BS tileset more like the original game.

If you've got some sort of gripe about the bonus non-BS features in the tileset, then feel free to rip in something more appropriate. However, things like Fused Shadow sprites are just as much of a tangent as the imported Pure graphics, if not more so.

(P.S. - New BS's Gameboy-style mountains are actually ripped from the Sun Tower tileset, hence the added detail and higher color resolution. I avoided the archaic Gameboy/Pure rips.)

#12 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

I was planning on that. I have two versions of the BS Zelda ROM(there was a second map/fourth quest. I'm checking it out as we speak.) I also plan on producing said BS-styled subscreens, and checking all the enemy colors for reference. Second, I'm not really changing the organization all THAT much. I'm moving things around and making room for anything necessary.

I also thought you said in another thread that you were giving up on the BS tileset anyway? icon_shrug.gif Maybe I misread. icon_sweat.gif

I decided to take the tileset to work on because, well, I'm going to be using it anyway, and a lot of things are missing/don't exist for 2.5's features.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

Good to hear that you're paying attention to the original ROM. I'd love to see a new subscreen specifically for BS.

I probably said at one point that I wanted to get away from tilesets and that I'd like to pass it on to somebody else. That said, however, I'd like to pass it on formally, and I certainly have time to talk with that person and help them out. icon_shrug.gif It's difficult to start working on BS from scratch, and I could explain a lot of the problems I had to face and the mistakes I made early on.

Yeah, most of what's missing are graphics that would require features unavailable in version 1.92. By the way, recently I was working on importing some of the 2.5-specific graphics into BS, based on that one tile page in DoR that contained bonus graphics for people using 2.5.

#14 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Well, if worse comes to worse, I'll just release a bunch of the graphics I just finished instead of a whole set. icon_shrug.gif

I finished the female BS Mascot and I'm gonna start working on the male one soon.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

You could... but the tileset WOULD benefit from an upgrade. icon_shrug.gif

Here's one recommendation (or at least an idea to try out):

Take the dark grey "Zol" CSet from the earlier BS Zelda tileset and place it in the Extra Sprite Palette somewhere. Use the enemy editor to assign it to the appropriate enemies. Then paste Ganon's CSet into CSet 9. After that you can reassign a lot of enemy CSets: assign Cset 7 to Moblin 2, CSet 10 to Darknut 2, and reconfigure Gibdo and Gohma 1 to use Ganon's Cset.

Of course, there are lots of other routes you could take to that end. If you want Ganon's CSet to be assigned to CSet slot 11, you could move the subscreen CSet to CSet slot 5 and remove the Passageways CSet from the main palette restricting it to the level palette. Then you'd be free to assign something else to CSet slot 9.

This may sound complicated, but the end result would simplify things quite a bit for the user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users