Photo

Screenshot of the Week 63

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 63 (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 63

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 September 2004 - 02:45 PM

Hero Link:

Hmm... That's an interesting way to make shallow water. That is shallow water, right? I suppose it works pretty well, but mostly because this is a blue dungeon. If you used another palette, it might not work as well.

The floor pattern is a bit random, but it's a pretty good screen.

Ian:

Nice test screen. icon_thumbsup.gif

System Error:

While I never liked fish-stomach dungeons, I look forward to seeing this in action, since nobody's tried it before in ZC to my knowledge. Good job.

Firestorm:

Just so you know, we don't usually call recolored tiles "custom." Still, it looks pretty good. As someone else mentioned the rain could be lightened up a bit, since it's hard to see in this greyscale palette.

sb11:

Teasing the player right upon entering with an out-of-reach blue ring? Heh, that's kinda mean.

However... that is not how you use those wall tiles. No wall tile should ever be face to face or back to back with an identical tile, especially not the ones intended for the base of the wall. You definitely need to use something other than wall tiles for the center of this room.

Wow, this was a close one. I voted for Ian.

#17 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Radien)
sb11:

Teasing the player right upon entering with an out-of-reach blue ring? Heh, that's kinda mean.

However... that is not how you use those wall tiles. No wall tile should ever be face to face or back to back with an identical tile, especially not the ones intended for the base of the wall. You definitely need to use something other than wall tiles for the center of this room.

Sorry to argue a bit Radien (icon_razz.gif), but how is that not right? Is it not possible to make walls like that in real life? The one who designed the dungeon could have created the walls to be like that, and they all look to connect correctly. It's like anotehr floor above, and a torch down there in the middle of some walls. I see nothign worng with it... but it's just a matter of an opinion I guess... sorry for arguing.

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:13 AM

Well, it depends on how the tiles are drawn. In this case it appears that the walls were intended to look like straight-up-and-down stone walls.

In several spots, the base of one wall meets the base of the wall opposite it. If those walls are supposedly standing straight, and there's no walking space in between them, well... what happens when you put two straight vertical stone walls against eachother? The effect is like having one wall.

It has to do with the way the LttP-style Zelda perspective messes with how things are shown. If the walls were designed not to look like they're straight-up-and-down, they'd be a little bit more flexible. You could even put them opposite eachother. But that would create a lot of triangular walls and crevices, which isn't very logical architecture. icon_neutral.gif

There also appears to be one torch that is surrounded by walls on all four sides. Not a very useful place for a torch. The only direction for the light to go is up.

Edited by Radien, 14 September 2004 - 04:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users