Photo

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:42 AM

I'm speechless to be honest. I can hardly believe this is an actual thing that actually exists. I mean, I'm playing it up a bit, but I played Xenoblade for the first time at the end of 2015 and fell in love with it. Xenoblade X also came out at the end of 2015, which is unrelated to Xenoblade as it's set in its own universe with its own themes and gameplay style. Xenoblade 2, as appropriate, seems to be more in line with the original Xenoblade. For reasons I won't get into, I'm not sure if it will actually be in the same world as Xenoblade or its own world like X, but will carry the original's feel more.

Xenoblade X was touted as the "spiritual successor" to Xenoblade. Whatever your opinions on either game... I don't really think this is the case at all. I mean, sure, you're exploring a huge world with a superficially-similar battle system and fantastical landmarks, but X has a far different setting, story, themes, and the combat isn't really the same at all once you get into it.

This could be Xenoblade's true spiritual successor, if it takes place in its own universe but follows the same style of game Xenoblade did. Granted, based on hints from interviews after X's release, 2 might be an open world game like X, but it appears it'll follow more closely to Xenoblade's themes. Which I'm personally happy about. If it does take place in Xenoblade's universe somehow, I hope that it doesn't do anything to screw with continuity or its ending.

Supposed release date is 2017 at least in Japan, which... almost seems too soon, considering X's release date. Unless X's localization just took ages and they had immediately started developing 2 during X's localization. Which... wouldn't entirely surprise me. But still, color me massively hyped.

• Neppy and Joca like this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

Wow, that trailer looks good.

But the real question here is: X2 when? :P

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

Man, the last time I got this hyped was for Xenoblade X. Here's hoping things don't follow the same pattern. I think as long as they can manage to write a story this time I'll be happy. I'm also hoping they can bring back the vision mechanic somehow. One problem I had with X was having no way to tell when I was about to be one shot by an enemy's attack. It was nice in Xenoblade having time to prepare/try to escape.

• The Satellite likes this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

For once, I agree with TS about X: it really didn't feel like a spiritual successor. Which was fine as far as I'm concerned, cuz I still enjoyed it.

Now regarding this... I'm a bit confused. How do you make a sequel to a game like Xenoblade? The ending seemed pretty absolute. With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic. I really wanted to like the first Xenoblade, but it messed up a lot of stuff that's pretty important to me. None of those issues were present in X (though admittedly X did have its own issues). I'm hoping for some kind of happy medium here, but really there's not enough to go on yet. I will say that the character models look really odd to me. Something's wrong about the faces. And the outfits are super silly, but I've grown to accept that that's simply a given with JRPGs.

Regarding Moody's comments, I'm fine with visions returning, so long as we don't have the same damn song every time. >_>

#5 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Figured I'd give my two cents on this one.

We definitely won't be getting this until at least next year. Japan might get it later this year, but taking Xenoblade's notoriously long localization periods into account, I don't think the west will see this game until mid- to late 2018.

That being said, I'm still really excited for this, but I'm kinda worried that they might keep the story too close to the original. Also the Monado is back(?) but it doesn't actually look anything like the Monado, so maybe this will be the second consecutive Xenoblade game without the blade.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

So GameXplain did an analysis of the trailer along with Chuggaaconroy:

There's a couple of neat elements hidden in the trailer, some of which I knew from reading GameFAQs boards, some I didn't. Some of it's also speculation, admittedly nice-sounding speculation. It's overall an interesting watch.

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

New trailer courtesy of E3. Doesn't sound dubbed by NoE... shame. But it doesn't actually sound bad though. And looks great. Slated for Holiday 2017 still... so I'm excited if that's the case.

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

A significant number of areas seen in that clip seem to be very poor graphically, hopefully it's just a blend of incomplete and near complete footage. There are some really nice scenes in the video. Not sure why they had to ruin the character models. Hopefully they fixed the issues from the 2nd game, lyrics in music at inappropriate times and tiny fonts etc. (II still haven't played it, but I own it!)

Voice acting seemed quite good, or at least not at all bad.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 13 June 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:10 AM

The gameplay demonstration at Treehouse has been put up. It switches up the gameplay just a tiny bit; small things such as no auto-attack while moving, you only get four arts but you can have multiple weapons to balance it... Game just looks great, like a Xenoblade game should, and I really need this in my life.

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Yesterday's Direct had a block dedicated to showing off more of the game. It also has a release date: December 1st. I feel spoiled.

• Neppy likes this

#11 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

I... cannot believe... I had not POSTED in here... I am so thrilled and excited for this game, and it's been amazing to see the improvements along the way. Granted I have kept myself from seeing too much of anything from this, I did watch the E3 trailer, and loved what I had seen. I started watching the segment of the Direct yesterday, but I decided to look away for the remaining 8-9 minutes. I want to have a fresh experience with this like I had with the original (never having seen anything of the game before picking it up for the n3DS) and X (keeping myself from seeing pretty much anything like I'm doing with 2) I was beyond excited to find out we will be getting this wonderful looking game in just 2 1/2 months. I also need that Pro Controller!!

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

The new Direct has given us some beefy info and I can't wait. Less than a month... However it revealed an expansion pass. Joy... I mean if it's good, yay, but we still don't know if BotW's expansion pass is worth it yet. Ah well, I'm sure it'll still be a great base game.

#13 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

I'm still really looking forward to the game, and am still refusing to watch anything past what we got on the previous Direct, and even with that, I didn't watch the whole Xenoblade 2 part of it. I went into the first game without knowing anything at all about the game, and I loved it, every one of the 270 hours I put into the 3DS game. :D I also made sure to avoid spoilers with Xenoblade X, and for the most part, it was fun, but I still haven't finished it, and possibly won't. This on the other hand, looks like my cup of tea. I did read about the expansion pass, and it's something I will probably end up getting at some point, if not right away.

#14 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

My main issue with Xenoblade 1 was pretty much the last two hours because damn, those two last hours in terms of story are so stupid. The stuff revealed during that time soured the overall story to me and i seriously hope they don't pull that crap in this game.

Everything before that story wise was great, fantastic even at points.

• Russ likes this

#15 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:25 AM

Don't worry about the story, this time around there will be multiple songs with vocals playing simultaneously during the cutscenes /obvious_sarcasm.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 12 November 2017 - 05:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users