SM3DW Style map. Sort of.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to put this in the design forum, not the help forum.

I've wanted to make a 'world map' in a quest for a while, and I've thought of various ways of doing it, but each one kind of has its own drawbacks. Firstly, I say Mario 3D World instead of SMB3, or SMW cause unlike those games, Link will still be able to freely move around and enter levels. I liked this approach better, since it is frankly, easier. This could be done with tiered secrets, and we could call it a day, but, I would also like to have branching paths, and this would be nearly impossible without scripts, or some way of checking which "levels" have been beat. I'm thinking of using tiered secrets from a level "end" as normal for one path, then have lock blocks be used to gate off branching paths. Alternate paths are found in one stage, granting you a key to use on the map. Finishing the level normally will take you to the next level that isn't branched off. Basically, this part works like SMW. Each "world" would have its own keys too.

I'm not sure if this would work, as I haven't tried it yet, but I'm probably going to make a small test map to see if it can work. IIRC, I can have up to 8 warps from a screen, if I use the side warp flags, right?

Does anyone know if something like this has been done in a quest before? I don't think it has.

• Jared likes this

#2 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:26 AM

Something I was thinking of doing was having the overworld map copy/pasted over and over. Then when you beat a level it warps you to the appropriate version of the map.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

I've always wanted to do an SMB3 (NES) or SMW (SNES)  style map.  I wouldn't necessarily have free-roam enabled unless you have secret areas that would require you to walk off the obvious path from area to area.  Having "junction points" where you can just button-mash all four directions would make finding secrets too easy.  Having the ability to walk freely along the paths between those points means you have to find the correct position to walk in with 8 horizontal or 16 vertical pixels to find the path, assuming you're being tight with those paths.

What I like about the concept is that you don't feel the need to fill up an entire 16x8 overworld.  You can make each area feel like a proportional region to what you have displayed on your overworld map.

As for unlocking areas on the map, I would make it sort of a "Press A to Enter" sort of thing while your mere presence atop the level area would display the name of the area in a text box somewhere on the screen;  probably on the opposite corner of where you are so you'd have legibility.  It's obviously very script-heavy, but I don't think it'd be too difficult.  To unlock an area, it'd be FFC-script driven that alters an area of a global boolean array.  Each "level" on the world map is an FFC, and is tied to a bit (or two?) in the array.  If you occupy a certain area of a level, it tells that bit to turn into a 1.  Then the FFC level checks to see if it's a 1, and you can go in.  The FFC script would have one of its D[] entries be a non-zero value.  If it's zero, it's locked.  If it's non-zero, then that value is which area of the array it's looking at to see if it's unlocked.

• Anthus likes this

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Something I was thinking of doing was having the overworld map copy/pasted over and over. Then when you beat a level it warps you to the appropriate version of the map.

That was the first thing I thought too lol. This would work fine for a level-to-level style quest, but you would be unable to reenter levels this way (without a script) since each level would take you to a map with only the next level. Let's say you beat level 5, and stage 6 opens. Going back into stage 3 and beating it would take you to a map with level 4 open, but no 5. I have a script that always assures link is warped back to the map he came from, so maybe this could work, but you still can't do branching paths this way either.

@ST: Oh, you'd have more room than just the paths themselves. I'm also thinking levels wouldn't be "markers" but actual structures, and places on the map. For example, a small forest may be a level but after you beat it, you come out on the other side. There may be some levels that use something more like level markers though.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hm.  If we didn't want to "lock or unlock" levels, we'd be forced to rely on the standard method of  "Oh, I see an obstacle that requires a superbomb or a hammer here."  blocking your way. Of course, that would have to take place within the levels themselves.  I can imagine it being a lot easier than scripting a lock/unlock method though.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

I was also thinking, a simple ffc script could check for a dummy item which Link gets after clearing any level. If Link has the item, change the unopened level to an open one. Tiered secret carry overs still effect the warps, the ffc would just be a visual indicator that you beat a level. The reason is, ffcs can't be solid afaik.

My question here is, can you have multiple ffcs do this on one screen, or would triggering one trigger all of them like regular, non-tiered secrets?
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

I was also thinking, a simple ffc script could check for a dummy item which Link gets after clearing any level. If Link has the item, change the unopened level to an open one. Tiered secret carry overs still effect the warps, the ffc would just be a visual indicator that you beat a level. The reason is, ffcs can't be solid afaik.

My question here is, can you have multiple ffcs do this on one screen, or would triggering one trigger all of them like regular, non-tiered secrets?

This would work with multiple ffcs, also scripts could just change the combo beneath them. No need to make the ffcs solid.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users