• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:36 AM

Official 20th Anniversary Contest Ratings

The final quest submissions, and the form to rate them are now available to the public.

You can download a ZIP of the entire set of quests here. This comes with information on how to rate the quests, and other miscellaneous information that you may need to review in order to properly submit your ranking data,.

Be sure to use
the latest version of ZC 2.53.1, when playing the quests!
This is mandatory to ensure compatibility. The version at the time of this post is 2.53.1, Beta 36.

The form for the contest ranking submissions is hosted on openzc.org, through jot. If for some reason you cannot use this form, please post here and notify the contest staff.

All rating submissions are subject to validation and review by contest staff. Spoofed, invalid, or deliberately malicious submissions will be discarded with no effect on the quest ranking.

If you were unable to finish a quest, and you do not provide a satisfactory reason, then we will discard your submission: The field for the reasons for which you are unable to finish a quest is not optional.

Please post below if you intend to submit any rankings, so that we know how many people are still playing quests, and can estimate how many submissions to anticipate. Please also indicate if you intend to play some, or all of the quests. We will allow at least two or three months to receive submissions, and may extend this further, should people still be testing and require more time.

While it is not required to review each quest, we ask that if you are able--even if you cannot complete them due to difficulty or other issues during gameplay--that you try to rank each quest so that we receive adequate sample data on every entry to properly qualify them all and to tier them appropriately.

Please keep us updated on your progress, and enjoy!

• ShadowTiger, Shane, Joelmacool and 3 others like this

#2 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:06 AM

One question: I couldn't find a specific deadline for when these ratings should be submitted? I'd love to play through them and rate them, but most of my time right now is spent studying for a couple exams in early May. Lots of free time after that, but it may not be enough to play through all six quests.

#3 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:17 AM

One question: I couldn't find a specific deadline for when these ratings should be submitted? I'd love to play through them and rate them, but most of my time right now is spent studying for a couple exams in early May. Lots of free time after that, but it may not be enough to play through all six quests.

We will allow at least two or three months to receive submissions, and may extend this further, should people still be testing and require more time.

#4 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:00 PM

Ah, right. Not sure how I missed that. Sorry.

In any case, we'll see if I get through everything, but I guess here's me saying I'll try.

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:47 PM

I could see myself submitting ratings. Though, one thing that is unclear, do you have to submit a rating for every entry in the contest for it to be considered?

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:16 AM

I could see myself submitting ratings. Though, one thing that is unclear, do you have to submit a rating for every entry in the contest for it to be considered?

It is not required, but it is preferred. the logic of this is that, even if you do not / can not complete all of the quests, that we can evaluate your total feedback and prevent artificially skewed rankings due to (e.g.) a quest with only one ranking at all 100%.

If people play every quest to the best of their ability, and rank each one, then we will receive a uniform number of rating submissions; however we decided not to enforce this as a requirement due to the sheer difficulty and approachability of some quests--and styles--to different parts of the community. There will be quests that some users simply do not want to play, due to their style preferences.

// General commentary follows, not directed at this specific post:

All of that said, I hope that we can receive a reasonable sample size for every quest. All ratings that are validated will be tallied based on a scoring chart (that is in turn, based on responses from the form), and averaged.

I will say that the scoring for tallies 20,000 points, with different aspects being weighed with a lot of consideration. The final score is a direct percentage, max 100%: if you ever bought a computer gaming magazine in the 1980s or 1990s, such as Commodore Format (or the similar 'x Format' publications such as Mac Format), this will be completely familiar to you. If you aren't old-enough to have read these, I would suggest looking into them as they are both historically interesting, and they are still the basis for how current sites rate and rank games.

Ah, right. Not sure how I missed that. Sorry.

In any case, we'll see if I get through everything, but I guess here's me saying I'll try.

Now bold and underlined, and maroon.

Minor Announcement

I changed the form so that rankings from '0 to n' now start with the largest value (descending order), rather than with '0' (ascending order). This is meant to make it easier to choose larger values, as people are more likely to choose 80/100 than 2/100.

There is no need to resubmit anything. This only affects new submissions from this point, onward.

• Mani Kanina likes this

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:50 AM

Notice to All Players

NoScript Browser Extension, and Submitting the Form

If you use the NoScript extension (or similar script blocking tools) for your web browser, you will need to permit the contest form to run its script, otherwise, when you fill out and submit it, it will fail and you will lose your submission data.

ZC Bugfix

We have just today fixed a longstanding bug in ZC Player, where after you exit a quest with an A+B subscreen, under specific conditions, if you were to load a B-Only type quest, you would not be able to use Swords (or any A-button item).

The new build of 2.53.1, Beta 39 fixes this issue, and a few other minor bugs. We advise you to update to this build, as quests in this contest use both A+B and B-only subscreen modes, so you would be firced to restart ZC Player when loading one quest after exiting another, depending on their settings. This new ZC build is free of this annoyance.

#8 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:37 PM

Beat one of the quests, which was pretty impressive in a fair few regards, I also tried another one which was... uh, "something".

In unrelated news I recommend avoiding Gleeok's entry, or at least going into with fair warning that the difficulty curve on it is all over the place, and it has some rather obnoxious things right at the start.

Edited by Mani Kanina, 20 April 2020 - 07:37 PM.

• Russ likes this

#9 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:39 AM

Well I dont Think im Able to Beat all That Quest but i made a Short Sneak peek on It and i Must Say They All Have a Realy Nice Chance to Win There are Some Realy Creative ones which make The Old one Hyrule like a New Story Chapter which is Defenitely :D

Glenns Quest i Would Say its the Most Basic one it Remembers a lot The Other Quests so far its not a Bad Think at all it Feels like a New Adventure on the Same World or Short Like a 6th Quest :D

Gleeok Made an Interresting Start without a Sword only with Lens you go trough The World It could Become Realy Interresting and Difficult in The Same Time :D

Ah Well Mitsukara A Realy Great Quest with Lots of Options to Chose That one was a Quest i Could Play a bit Longer it Becomes a lot Puzzleling and you Later could become Confused how to Progress Further but Overall a Nice Idea with thhat Mirror Hyrule and The many New Items :D

Ha Ha Moshs Quest was Funny to See its Already the 7th Quest what Should i Say a truly Dreamly Hyrule with Nightmarish Dungeons Dark and Full of Traps but a Great Athmospere :D

Russ Brought us a Flooted Hyrule With another Great Athmospere a Quest i Could beat with his Help it Showed a Nice Story of Fear and a Great Friendship Between Zora Prince and Gerudo Prince The Dungeons are Nice and Creative Desighned with some Realy Clever and for me Difficult but Fun Puzzles and an Suprise Plot Twist i will not Spoiler :D

And Last but not Least TeamUDF with a Nice Byoutifull New Hyrule for Nyru to Discovering The Dungeons i Have Seen have a Nice Athmospere and Nice Soundtracks it Surely will be Fun to Play this :D

Im not Good in Votings and i Dont like it much becouse i Dont want Hurt Someons Feelings with all the Work that Stick in to it but if i Must i Would Defenitely Say that :D

Mosh Russ and TeamUDF aswell as Mitsukara Would Become Platin from me :D

Gleeok Would become Gold for His Interresting Idea of an Swortless Start and the Demo Quest Tileset

and So Glenn becomes Silver its not a Bad Quest offcourse Not but its The most Basic so far what i could see Which as i Mentioned is not a Bad think Explicite there it is a 6th Quest Turnement but my Personaly Prefering lies in the More Adventures Quests with New Graphics but would it go after which Looks the Most Like a Classic Nes Style 6th Quest Glenn would Defenitely Become the Platin Award :D

Sorry in Advance if i Should Hurt someons Feelings with this Short Review it was not my Intenntion i Will Update it when i Have Played trough All :D

So Far Nice Work Everyone i can Only say They all Worth Playing it and im sure it will become a Difficoult Work to Vote in my Eyes there are more Then one Winner :D

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:27 AM

Im not Good in Votings and i Dont like it much becouse i Dont want Hurt Someons Feelings with all the Work that Stick in to it but if i Must i Would Defenitely Say that :D

Only developers and contest staff know who filed a rating, and what they scored quests. That's three people, none of which are involved with the actual questmaking.

#11 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:57 AM

Did my more recent scores get properly submitted? I got the confirmation screen this time, but I figured I'd make sure.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

The entry for Glenn's quest is in a pending disqualified status on the following grounds:

The quest cannot be completed. Level 9 (left side) uses DMap 9, but Level 9 (right side) uses DMap 10. The quest relies on killing bosses on the left side, and having them remain dead when you explore the right side, but because these areas do not share a DMap, the boss flag does not persist and it is impossible to complete the level.

There are also several softlocks, but the hard lock (unwinnable game) removes it from this contest.

Further tests will confirm this issue.

Cancel. Cancel. Cancel.

This has been validated as winnable and is not disqualified.

• Magi_Hero likes this

#13 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

I'd like to also jump in and let everyone know that the contest entries are still being actively reviewed and rated. We've actually received some more traction this past week. It could still be going on for a while depending on if more people end up reviewing.

#14 zcfan27330

zcfan27330

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 August 2020 - 04:41 PM

This has been validated as winnable and is not disqualified.

zc-screen00001.png

#15 zcfan27330

zcfan27330

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:00 AM

I'm having major problems on Gleeok's quest, may give up soon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest, 6th, 20th, Anniversary, Public, Rating, Ranking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users