Photo

Screenshot of the Week 69

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick your favorite screenshot. (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick your favorite screenshot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Jaivaz

Jaivaz

God of Death

• Banned

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

Damn..I null voted, they are all way too good.

#17 masterlink3000

masterlink3000

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:24 PM

I null voted. . . but I will post my words about the screens later. icon_wink.gif

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:19 AM

Hmm. No one's commented on my subscreen graphics yet. Did everybody already see them in the demo?

Well, I guess that answers my suspicion about animated equalling unbalanced advantage. Maybe. I didn't put much else into this shot because I was hoping people would be wondering how I did it. It uses a graphical technique that's actually been used in 3D Zelda games. I guess it's not as impressive as it seemed. :\

I'll see about making an animation for the floor. I hadn't thought of try it, but I actually think it will look better than you might expect.

Now, quick commentary.

Snort:

Hmm... I think the problem with the rain is finally taking its toll. The colors here look worse than the last shot. :\ Without the rain, I'm sure this screen looks great. With it, you have too many contrasting colors. The rain uses two colors: one brighter than the surroundings, the other darker.

I recommend you switch to white rain with narrow drops. You could use Newfirst's, or you could even make your own. It ought not to be very difficult.

And hey, nice use of my rock tiles... but it's a little odd having a little pond on top of this house-thing. Or is it just a puddle on the "roof?"

link3505:

Indeed, it looks a little cartoony. I would come out and say "awesome!" or the like, but I know from past shots that you can do better than this.

If you're not sure why it looks cartoony, well... I'm sure you've heard the term "cel-shading." Your shot has a lot of block colors; that's why it looks like it's cel-shaded. Anyway, great job. icon_thumbsup.gif

Masterlink3000:

I hate seeing title screen shots entered in SOTW, because they tend to have nothing interesting to show that's game-related, but nevertheless I have to agree; this is a damn good title screen. I don't know how much of the dragon is a straight rip, but it doesn't look like one. ( = good thing.) And I can't deny that DFW's right when she says the tree and rock layout is very skillfully done.

Not sure if I'd vote for this if I hadn't null voted, but it would be a contender, for sure.

Valerie:

I found this very weird to judge just because it's so different... well, you got my attention, I can say that at least. You've definitely graduated from the old 1.90 style. icon_thumbsup.gif

Shoelace:

Another nice Pure shot. icon_smile.gif Not as nice as last time, but still good. Is that a custom boss?

I'd recommend you use floor borders against the entire perimeter of the room when using LTTP walls. LTTP walls in Pure have no black line at the base of the wall, so they kinda expect you to rely on floor borders to complete the wall.

That's all. I'd call this an average week for SOTW.

#19 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Nov 8 2004, 07:19 AM)
Snort:

Hmm... I think the problem with the rain is finally taking its toll. The colors here look worse than the last shot. :\ Without the rain, I'm sure this screen looks great. With it, you have too many contrasting colors. The rain uses two colors: one brighter than the surroundings, the other darker.

I recommend you switch to white rain with narrow drops. You could use Newfirst's, or you could even make your own. It ought not to be very difficult.

And hey, nice use of my rock tiles... but it's a little odd having a little pond on top of this house-thing. Or is it just a puddle on the "roof?"

Regarding your commentary. icon_razz.gif Thanks. You may have helped my quest get better. X_X Now if only the newfirst raid was easy to impliment. X_X

The house-thing, That's just another slab of land. And yea, that's a shallow water puddle. icon_razz.gif

#20 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(Snort @ Nov 8 2004, 07:40 PM)
Regarding your commentary. icon_razz.gif Thanks. You may have helped my quest get better. X_X Now if only the newfirst raid was easy to impliment. X_X

Sure thing. icon_smile.gif I was trying to stress that it's a little problem which is having a big effect. I'm sure you can improve it easily. You've got some good stuff going with your quest.

If Newfirst rain is hard to use, I could try my hand at making some new rain tiles for the database. The whole of the ZC community only really has two types of rain that people actually use, so it may be time for something new. icon_razz.gif Especially since the one you're using, which is easier to use, is nevertheless made specifically for SD3, which looks quite different from most of the ZC graphics out there.

The house-thing, That's just another slab of land. And yea, that's a shallow water puddle. icon_razz.gif

Hmm, odd... well, there is sometimes validity behind the argument of "if it looks good, do it." So even if we don't know why there's a door in the side of a slab of rock, the door tiles still look nice. icon_smile.gif

#21 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

Well I think all pf the shots this week look simply awesome. But I'm gonna go with masterlink3000.

I'm oing with this shot becuase I think the Dragon's awesome, but more importantly the screen in the background is really pretty and well layed out.

#22 Guest_Pepito (Guest)

Guest_Pepito (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

I've vote masterlink3000, but I think the better thing in the snapshot is the dragon and it doesn't take much time grab it so... I thing the better is link3505's. : icon_heh.gif

#23 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

Here let me try something for you there buddy...

Pepito :

I'd vote for masterlink3000, but I think the best thing in the snapshot is the Dragon, which doesn't take very much time to grab...so I say link3505's is the best.

Either you meant that or that...

Pepito :

I voted for masterlink3000, but I think the best thing in the snapshot is the Dragon, which doesn't take very much time to grab...so I say link3505's is the best.

Of course the latter is the one I think you said, but it also makes no sense, why would you vote for a screenshot and than say that the oter is the best.

Edited by phil, 09 November 2004 - 05:18 PM.

#24 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Nov 9 2004, 12:54 AM)
Sure thing. icon_smile.gif I was trying to stress that it's a little problem which is having a big effect. I'm sure you can improve it easily. You've got some good stuff going with your quest.

If Newfirst rain is hard to use, I could try my hand at making some new rain tiles for the database. The whole of the ZC community only really has two types of rain that people actually use, so it may be time for something new. icon_razz.gif Especially since the one you're using, which is easier to use, is nevertheless made specifically for SD3, which looks quite different from most of the ZC graphics out there.

Hmm, odd... well, there is sometimes validity behind the argument of "if it looks good, do it." So even if we don't know why there's a door in the side of a slab of rock, the door tiles still look nice. icon_smile.gif

1: So true, but unlike me, I can't draw. >_< I'll attempt for you though since out of mostly everyone, you were the only one to give constructive criticisim. icon_biggrin.gif

2: That's true. You will recieve credit though since I did use your mountain tiles. icon_razz.gif

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:12 AM

Snort:

Oh, don't worry about that! I mean, look at the rain tiles you have: they're just a bunch of narrow rows of diagonal pixels. icon_smile.gif Rain tiles don't take artistic skill, aside from the part where they hit the ground.

Part of the reason I wanted to volunteer is because I don't think it'd take very long to make. So if you want, just let me know and I'll have a whack at it.

Thanks, credit is nice, but I'm not worrying too much... I submitted those tiles hoping they'd get used a lot. icon_smile.gif It's been interesting to see different people's interpretations of how to use them...

#26 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

Masterlink3000's shot jumped out and screamed "VOTE 4 ME!" at me.

So I voted for Shoelace's shot.

Makes sense to me, anyway.

#27 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:04 PM

Masterlink3000's shot jumped out and screamed "VOTE 4 ME!" at me.

So I voted for Shoelace's shot.

Makes sense to me, anyway.

MMMmmmm, I confused. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Shoelace, 10 November 2004 - 03:05 PM.

#28 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Nov 10 2004, 01:12 AM)
Snort:

Oh, don't worry about that!  I mean, look at the rain tiles you have: they're just a bunch of narrow rows of diagonal pixels. icon_smile.gif Rain tiles don't take artistic skill, aside from the part where they hit the ground.

Part of the reason I wanted to volunteer is because I don't think it'd take very long to make. So if you want, just let me know and I'll have a whack at it.

Thanks, credit is nice, but I'm not worrying too much... I submitted those tiles hoping they'd get used a lot. icon_smile.gif It's been interesting to see different people's interpretations of how to use them...

I managed to work on it and I was able to, using some features of the new ZC, import and use the Newfirst rain. icon_smile.gif

http://mzc.zcworld.net/rain.gif

You can take a look at a similar shot in that town where I used the rain. but I would really love to see what you can come up with for the rain. icon_smile.gif

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:54 AM

Snort:

Whoah... hey, awesome! icon_biggrin.gif You see? That fits so much better in your quest. (Those bobbing trees are bizarre... icon_eek.gif) I'll still probably give it a try, though. Newfirst's rain could be even more animated, y'know?

Hey... why's you're mini-map wigging out? icon_odd.gif Palette cycling?...

#30 masterlink3000

masterlink3000

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:53 AM

Snort, your rain looks better. . .way better at that, but you need to make the rain blue.

Edited by masterlink3000, 11 November 2004 - 07:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users