Photo

Screenshot of the Week 400!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 400 (82 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Okay, let's do this.

Anthus: Nice classic shot. I like the background and palette. The perspective looks a bit off on the pyramids.
Aslion: The mixed perspectives of the cave tiles and mountain tiles is a little odd. Other than that, great shot!
Schwa: It looks pretty cool. Can't wait to play it! Not much in terms of screen design, though.
Kurt91: I don't think the leaves' shadows should be showing if its that foggy.
Supindahood: If I had voted, this would have been my pick. Awesome tiles, awesome palette, awesome screen! ... plus its animated!
Theryan: I swear, as soon as I finish the dungeons tiles and combos, I'll start making a subscreen of sorts.
Moosh: DarknutDarknutDarknutDarknutDarknutDarknut. The screen could use more detail on the ground and such.
Master4Sword: It's a nice shot, but nothing about it stands out.
Justin: I really like this shot. Maybe its the giant cacti, I'm not really sure.
Orin XD: Solid GB shot, nothing much to say about it.
nicklegends: Really cool concept. It reminds me of the timefreeze area in HoD.
SpacemanDan: You should try using a lighter outline on the trees. They really stand out right now.
Shane: Beautiful forest screenshot! Great job!
Franky: There should be more variety in the screen than just that one type of fence.
Sepulcher: There's no trees in your forest!
Koh: Looking good! The tiles look nice.
Marco: Looks pretty nice. Not much to say beyond that.
Geoffrey: It looks nice, It would be interesting to see an entire area made like this.
Nick: Looks pretty nice. The mountains could use a little variation.
LinktheMaster: You should add some wall decorations or torches and possibly change the room shape to something other than a rectange.
Jared: I really like how the ruins mix into the cliff walls. Really cool shot.

#17 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Mar 4 2013, 08:00 AM) View Post

Schwa: Schwantastic! A winrar is you! 10/10

And yet no vote for me. icon_worried.gif

I actually voted for Aslion! It was a very close tie between his and Theryan's, but in the end I decided Aslion's tileset usage was superior, and while Theryan's colorfulness and detailed graphics and screen setup is extremely appealing, Aslion's has more action spread out over the whole thing and I am drawn to the whole screen and not just pieces of it. icon_thumbsup.gif Excellent work to both of you, though!

Most of the other screens just did not stand out for me.

I feel really disappointed in Kurt's shot. I almost definitely would have voted for him if he hadn't went super ultra overboard with "mistifying" his screen; compared to before the mist was much lighter and the palettes were more vivid and it looked like a captivating and inviting and beautiful shot instead of a blurry box of dark color that I can't even see. Sometimes going overboard ruins something great, and in this case it's tragic. I thought I should emphasize that as it is important feedback.

As for my own screenshot, I'm glad it got some honorable mentions. icon_smile.gif Again, I did not intend to win or even to do well, I was just interested in turning a couple heads and adding even more ooh-factor to SotW #400. I'm really glad to see #400 to be such a huge success, and I wish everyone happy questmaking for another 100 SotWs and forever after! (Hehe, we're over halfway to SotW #744 icon_biggrin.gif)

#18 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Marco @ Mar 4 2013, 08:10 AM) View Post

Supindahood: I would like to say your flow is nice on this screen. Though I am not fond of the meshed colors. The transitions are right, but the colors used are not.

What? xD

#19 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Mar 5 2013, 03:00 AM) View Post

Orin XD: The screen is rather boring and the sprites are...Meh. Nice subscreen, though. 3/10

Please elaborate. As in explain why it is so boring. As it is right now, your criticism isn't really constructive.

#20 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Mar 4 2013, 03:03 PM) View Post

Please elaborate. As in explain why it is so boring. As it is right now, your criticism isn't really constructive.

Whoa I gave that a 3? I know I was getting grumpy because there were so many entries, but a 3 is way too harsh. Changed it to a 6. Anyways, I felt the screen looked rather empty. There's nothing exactly wrong with it. It's just kinda boring. Not the type of screen I'd submit to SotW. It's all a matter of opinion anyways, not like SotW is for serious criticism.

Edit: Also I recognize the sprite below as Marisa but not the one above. Not sure if that's the fault of the spritework or my limited Touhou knowledge. Maybe a bit of both.

Edited by Moosh, 04 March 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#21 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(nicklegends @ Mar 4 2013, 01:44 AM) View Post

Koh
Yay, a new tileset. Looks good, but misses that "wow" factor.

I really wasn't expecting it to have that lol. GB tiles are awesome in their own right, but they never have the wow factor of DoR. However, at least it could possibly be yet another set to use, instead of just the same old tilesets over and over XD.

QUOTE(Marco @ Mar 4 2013, 09:10 AM) View Post

Koh: Back in the day, I really enjoyed your tileset. Though, looking at your screen and graphics now, I feel the set is below par and the graphics are too.. meh. Below par stuff here, sorry.

It probably is. But I'm going to keep the style consistent here. I'm not blending graphics from other games or anything like that. It's all going to remain strictly (enhanced) GB Tiles so that'll hold it back even more. I REALLY hate style clashing XD.

QUOTE(Moosh @ Mar 4 2013, 11:00 AM) View Post

Koh: This set needs a completely new word to describe it. Thus borugly, a combination of boring and ugly, was born. 2/10

I remember you saying in the thread showing the tiles off you weren't fond of the colors, so that's understandable. But elaborate on the other stuff =O. Boring = no enemies I assume, and I haven't gotten there yet so that already put me behind XD.

QUOTE(Anthus @ Mar 4 2013, 12:35 PM) View Post

Koh:
This is not a bad screen by any means, I'm just not a fan of the style so much. I tihnk it's mostly the mountains. The trees and ground are fine, but something irks me about the mountains. Maybe cause they are square like GB mountains, yet way more detailed so it looks odd?

I'll probably have the other enhanced GB mountains as an alternative that I did. But the set IS enhanced GB tiles only, so it'll stay that way =x. You know how much Koh hates graphics mixing.

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Marco can you please explain how my shot is mere DoR? Besides the big treetop and Link graphics there are no DoR graphics whatsoever in that shot. Hardly mere DoR.

Edited by Shane, 04 March 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#23 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

nicklegends and justin, those are nearly perfect screenshots. my vote will likely go to the one of you two with less votes... can somebody tell me where those two stand as of nowish?

#24 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

The area is playable. The colours are the same as are in Chrono Trigger. The area is made more for artistic purposes than anything else, but there are whole playable areas elsewhere. But I have also not worked on the quest file for about two years; I made the screen for a purely honorific purpose (the great and illustrious SotW 400). :B

#25 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Mar 5 2013, 07:59 AM) View Post

Whoa I gave that a 3? I know I was getting grumpy because there were so many entries, but a 3 is way too harsh. Changed it to a 6. Anyways, I felt the screen looked rather empty. There's nothing exactly wrong with it. It's just kinda boring. Not the type of screen I'd submit to SotW. It's all a matter of opinion anyways, not like SotW is for serious criticism.

Edit: Also I recognize the sprite below as Marisa but not the one above. Not sure if that's the fault of the spritework or my limited Touhou knowledge. Maybe a bit of both.

The one above is supposed to be of Utsuho Reiujii from Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism. I was pretty disappointed about how her sprite came out myself, as I pretty much had to wing it to get the shot done on time.
Edit:
Spoiler alert!

Just to let you know, the quest is probably going to use Big Link because Marisa's sprite is slightly too tall for 16x16, but I don't know how to exactly use Big Link to only extend the size of the sprite, not the hitbox. If I can't get away using Big Link without increasing the size of the hitbox, then I will have to script it in (it shouldn't be that hard, considering that we now have Link->Tile to compare with). Another reason to why I might have to script it in is because I am also planning to also have Reimu as a playable character, who might be able to fit into a 16x16 tile.
Anyway, thanks for the criticism.

Edited by Orin XD, 04 March 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#26 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

voted Supindahood
theryans was good also.

#27 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE(Moosh)
Shane: Awakening...woods...snoooooore. There's just something about this screen that makes it incredibly boring. 4/10
Mind if you be more specific on what the "something" is? It's not helpful to know that there's something yet I can't improve on it. :|

#28 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

The majority of you seem to throw a minor fit when someone gives you negative criticism (even with improvement suggestions), yet, embrace positive reviews without asking how to improve.

You all know damn well what you like in a quest and what would be keen for you. It's silly how one would jump for someone else's ideal screen design.

Before you submitted your work, it is likely you chose your best work and greatest effort screenshot in this contest. When someone reviews your work and does not enjoy it, they do not have to give a reason why. If their reason is your screen is too bland, embrace it. You are (hopefully) getting a non biased opinion to see a different light in what you thought worked.

If I say your screen is boring and unoriginal, don't say why and how to fix it. I don't want to sit down and explain my idea of what is and isn't unique, why I personally feel the uninterested feels.

oh and why make a big deal out of constructed criticism. You all would be hypocrites if you ask for this.

Your screen can be the most perfect designed thing, but I will still find it boring if I do. Can't help it.

Edited by Marco, 06 March 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#29 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

After careful deliberation, it was a toss up between Aslion and Theryan. Both had fantastic atmosphere, but I ended up voting Theryan. Loved the colours, and the overall shot looked very interesting.

#30 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

"Marco: Before you submitted your work, it is likely you chose your best work and greatest effort screenshot in this contest"

Do you get that from my shot? That's not exactly the shot I'd use to try an win the biggest sotw turnout in it's entire history. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users