Photo

The End of ZGP (Now Actually Dead For Real)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

Hi, everyone! As a result of discussion sparked by this topic about ZGP files, we've decided to stop accepting ZGP tilesets and update most of the ZGP tilesets on the database to include QST alternatives provided by Anthus. These tilesets include:

Since ZGP files can only be opened in the version they were created in, these tilesets were becoming harder and harder to open. Once again, huge thanks to Anthus for converting them for us. Still remaining unconverted are these two 1.90 tilesets:

If anyone is able to open 1.90 and convert them for us, it would be much appreciated.

• Neppy, Anthus, Eddy and 6 others like this

#2 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:11 AM

Is there any way we can install a reputation system so I can give Anthus pos rep every day for the next month or four?

But jeez, you guys just had to unleash this massive resource dump two days before the 24-hour contest, didn't you :eek:

• Anthus and Evan20000 like this

#3 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:52 AM

ProjectZ qst file

Original Demo Quest Tileset qst file

Through the power of DOSBox, I executed ZGP.

Edited by Alestance, 23 March 2017 - 02:57 AM.

• Anthus, Alucard648, coolgamer012345 and 2 others like this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

Through the power of DOSBox, I executed ZGP.

JcooYqu.png

• Neppy, The Satellite, Russ and 2 others like this

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

The sad part, is that I can't make a converter for ZGP files, without a source set for every major, and otherwise canonical ZC release. We may d some new graphics thing for tilesheets in the future, designed for exporting and importing tile pages/sheets in a specified range, or something of that sort; if we expand how tiles work, and the tile editor.

I recall no advantage to the ZGP format, other than a reduced filesize.
  • ShadowTiger and Sheik like this

#6 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

Does this also include the zgp-loose tiles?

Also, just to have said it, I would be willing to reorganize the loose tiles to finally have a better chance to look through them.

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

There's... Zgp loose tiles?

*running 1.92 intensifies*

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

The first time I had the problems with ZGPs was with some of Noel's loose tiles.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Loose tiles are the best part if ZGP. The idea is to import tiles in their designated palettes, rather than needing to recolour them.

It just doesn't work as well as it should work.

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

ZGP works well enough as long as you are able to run the version, but it is just as easy for users to download a quest format, and export their own ZGP in the version they intend to use.

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

I thought ZGP is essentially a tileset only thing, since it replaces all your other tiles and combos

#12 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

I thought ZGP is essentially a tileset only thing, since it replaces all your other tiles and combos

Yes, if you imported via load ZGP graphics pack. They could also be loaded up in the tile editor's grab function as a .gif or .png could.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

They could also be loaded up in the tile editor's grab function as a .gif or .png could.

Huh, I actually didn't know that. I always thought it was basically tile/ palette/ sprite/ combo data, but not a full fledged qst file.

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:55 AM

Huh, I actually didn't know that. I always thought it was basically tile/ palette/ sprite/ combo data, but not a full fledged qst file.

I do not recall, but I seem to believe that the grab option preserves palette data better than do PNG files.

The issue, is that the import option would work better if it allowed selecting a range of (source) tiles to import, and an insertion (dest) point, with an overwrite/move flag.

I'm not entirely sure why the older formats do not work. That is the larger concern. it is probably a trivial fix, but without the older code, it would require data analysis, which is very...time...consuming, and impractical.

Perhaps War Lord, or Dark Dragon have the older code and either DD can repair this, or one (or both) might supply what I need to do it.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 01 April 2017 - 12:57 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#15 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

I'll do Demo Quest ones since I have all rights and access to them.  What format and stuff do you want them done with?

-James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users