The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#16 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:04 AM

The backwards compatibility part of the cartridge theory is kinda tough. Nintendo looves their BC, and going with carts throws that out. It would be a sacrifice. I guess they could sell a disc drive add-on separately just for BC, but that seems a clumsy solution over the perfectly elegant solution of just not having BC. There's the possibility that digital Wii U games would transfer over and not physical ones, but I'd guess they wouldn't spring for the components just to make digital games carry over.

And, you know... There's also supposedly NX ports in development of some of Wii U's most notable games. Almost like the system wouldn't otherwise be able to play them. Hmmm... HMMMM...

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:09 AM

I'd at least hope for a way to link your account to NX and be able re-download digital and Virtual Console games for free. It would seem very odd if there wasn't any backwards compatibility, especially since it's clear they haven't abandoned Wiimotes as a controller option.

#18 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:27 AM

I'd at least hope for a way to link your account to NX and be able re-download digital and Virtual Console games for free. It would seem very odd if there wasn't any backwards compatibility, especially since it's clear they haven't abandoned Wiimotes as a controller option.

I'd love for them to ditch the PowerPC architecture and finally move to something similar to Xbox1, PS4 and PC architecture. This would definitely break backwards compatibility and they'd need to port their old games to it etc. like we've seen with various "remaster" re-releases of old games on a new system. The change would make it a lot easier to port games to the Nintendo console, alleviating the hassle of getting 3rd party support.

#19 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

Honestly, consoles having backwards compatibility is overrated, it's rarely more than one generation back anyway, and it's NOT like you can't just use your old console to play them, or use an emulator when it inevitably breaks down.

On PC's, it's a bit of a more serious matter, because Xbox 360 and PS3 not withstanding, PC's tend to die quicker than consoles, and homebrew PC emulation on a console is so cumbersome, that it's not even worth it, except as a novelty.  So perpetual lack of BC on a PC is crippling blow, whereas on consoles, it is a minor inconvenience.

That said, I like the idea of using cartridges, then selling a disk drive add-on for BC sake.  Sure, it IS a sloppy solution, but it's better than nothing.  It'll placate those who TRULY want BC, while allowing them to move to the more efficient model of cartridges.  Optical disks were only ever good for memory storage and cost reduction, but flash memory has all but eliminated that advantage. In fact, the ONLY reason you don't see USB movie drives is because of copy protection issues, which will NOT be a problem with custom cartridge designs.

And besides, if the cartridges are shaped right, it COULD be BC w/ NES/SNES/N64 games, right? ;)

Edited by Anarchy_Balsac, 09 May 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#20 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

The Nintendo Mega-Drive! It plays them all. I like it.

If the cartridge rumor is true, I think it would be unlikely for the system to support discs since adding an optical drive would just add to the cost for an arguably mundane reason.

A more reasonable assumption would be that you will be able to download games you already bought, and if you own the disc, you might be able to 'register' it, and download a virtual copy to the NX.

What I don't want to see is them charge you a discount price to redownload something we already bought twice assuming you bought the VC games you got on Wii on the Wii U.

#21 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

Honestly, consoles having backwards compatibility is overrated, it's rarely more than one generation back anyway, and it's NOT like you can't just use your old console to play them, or use an emulator when it inevitably breaks down.

Well their already using emulation on the Wii and Wii U for backwards compatibility. All they'd need to do is port the emulators to the new architecture or if they switch to a more PC oriented architecture steal/buy/license an existing PC emulator and tweak it for their console.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 09 May 2016 - 02:16 PM.

#22 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

cartridge or not, the important is that they will be made many nice games! i hope it will be not 9999 games on Mario and just 3-4 rpg, i want a true successor of the SNES ! the N64 had few nice rpgs, i liked only OoT,MM, Paper Mario and Holy Magic Century .

Edit : whit that i don't wanted say i like only rpg, but since rpg are my favorite i hope to have many games of this genre , which I had with the SNES but not with Nintendo 64

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 09 May 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#23 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

True enough about backwards compatibility being somewhat minor. I'm the guy who saves his consoles, but I'm mostly thinking of people who sell their consoles to upgrade to the new one, which they usually do because of backwards compatibility. Granted, it didn't stop people from jumping aboard PS4 and XB1 despite their lack of backwards compatibility, so maybe Nintendo moving on to new architecture and leaving those consoles behind wouldn't be such a big mistake, especially if there's some way to transfer digital downloads and, like Anthus suggested, "register" Wii U discs to download on NX.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they did have a separate disc drive for backwards compatibility. Kind of reminds me of how there were later Wii consoles that removed Gamecube compatibility and sold for way cheaper. Granted, that also cut out Gamecube controller ports despite being one of the best controller options out there...

• Anarchy_Balsac likes this

#24 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

"Nintendo NX: Upcoming Game Console Not Successor to Wii U or 3DS, Nintendo President Says

"It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement," Tatsumi Kimishima said, as translated by NeoGAF user GSR."

Not what a lot of people wanted to hear

#25 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

Might just be hedging their bets. It reminds me of when they said the DS would be a "third pillar" alongside the Game Boy and console lines.

#26 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

It'll replace the Wii U
  • Anthus likes this

#27 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

I have been living under a rock, but I will say this:

Nintendo has a reputation for doing things new and revolutionary from time to time (or at least attempting to be), as we sure saw with the Wii.  I don't think they will hold back with the NX, or whatever they decide to actually call it (The Nintendo Pii?  But I joke.)

I do think they will go back to the route of cartridges, but they won't look anything close to cartridges of the past.  They might look similar to flash drives.  They might not even call them cartridges.  They might even call them "game keys", because they are small enough to put on a ring.  I do believe they will do that over downloads, because that gives brick and mortar stores more to sell.  This will of course make the games a little more expensive, since that would lead to more parties making a profit off of the games (Nintendo, stores, and third party developers).  And the argument against downloads has already been made, as it puts slower connections at a disadvantage.  I don't think they will do both downloads and cartridges, because they will likely want to keep things simple.  The more they accommodate the old, the more clunky the system becomes, and thus the more problems can occur from that.  After the low sales of the Wii U when compared to their major competition, they will take things in a very different direction, which of course will disappoint people who cling too much the past.  But that is just regarding their console past.  They would never put the past behind them when it comes to their actual games, since Nintendo has their many game franchises that I believe have been the main factor in keeping them alive.

Nintendo knows they have lagged behind Sony and Microsoft in sales, which tells way more than any individual opinions.  They will need to take big leaps and risks in order to keep up with them, or even rise past them.  If they succeed, they thrive in the console business much like in the past.  If their leaps fail, years from now they eventually go the way of Sega, since Nintendo is still great at making games.

• Anthus likes this

#28 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

They could have game stores have a machine that lets you purchase any game and then have it transfer the game to a generic cartridge, instead of having game specific cartridges... that way shops only have to stock one kind of cartridge and they don't need huge shelves of games... they can all be accessed on a computer booth thing instead :D

#29 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

If you could purchase games and download them to generic cartridges, why not just make those cartridges USB sticks or SD cards and let you download the games at home? In general, I prefer having a physical copy of a game (I'm still guaranteed to have it years in the future, even if the company goes out of business and their download servers with them), but downloadable games certainly have their advantages and their fans. In some cases, I've seen games not expected to make a huge profit (like the western releases of Ace Attorney 5 and 6) only get a downloadable release, so that the company can save on the costs of manufacturing physical copies and make money off an otherwise unprofitable game. Nintendo would be foolish to move away from downloadable games as an option.
  • Anthus likes this

#30 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

I don't think they will do both downloads and cartridges, because they will likely want to keep things simple.

Well, they already do that for Wii U and 3DS, just discs in the Wii U's case. Pretty much any game you can buy physically you can also download off the eShop. :blah:

• TheLegend_njf likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users