• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

@Migokalle

The 6 axis controls can be mapped out using a 3rd party tool DS3, but won't work if the game explicitly doesn't support ps3 or standard pc controller. (like skyrim), but will act as a PC controller. I mapped out the controls with dolphin and I mapped out some of the six axis to motion controls and the right analog sitck to motion controls, theres a tuturial on this

My bad on the xbox360 thing, I kinda forgot what it's peripheral was used for

Edited by GhostKnight22, 22 August 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#17 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

It really depends on what kind of game. For FPSs, RTSs and anything that requires cursor or aiming precision, I prefer mouse + keyboard.

For everything else, I definitely prefer a controller. I actually bought a USB XBox controller just to play Psychonauts, and it has served me well ever since. Makes games like Super Meat Boy a lot easier to deal with.

#18 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller controller for ZC but I would love to have a Game Cube adapter, it's my favourite controller.

I usually prefer controllers or arcade controls but each genre and/or platform has its best tool.

#19 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

When I first saw this topic I thought it was about keyboard and mouse vs. controllers in Zelda Classic for some reason. In general I actually prefer to play with a controller, I just feel like I've got a lot more control both over the game and my choice of positions to sit in, if that makes any sense. I mean, you can't exactly use a mouse and keyboard and still sit back with your feet on the table. Unless you've got a really fancy setup and I'm sorry but I'm not ready to make my room look like a space ship just yet.

I will say though, if I'm playing a game with a first person perspective, be it Battlefield or Fallout, I'll go with the mouse and keyboard. It's about precision, but there's also something to the way you look around, I feel like moving the mouse is a little bit closer to moving your actual head than pushing an analog stick in a certain direction. These kinds of games usually also have a lot of different kinds of keyboard shortcuts and a vast amount of keys used for controls in general, so it's impossible to truly map it all out for a controller. Especially if you mod games like Fallout, you're gonna end up running into some mod that doesn't support a controller at one point. And you're gonna want that mod. I'm looking at you, Project Nevada.

I play all third person games with a controller. They're usually made for a console anyway, so it just works better I feel. Walking around and stuff often looks a bit more jarring with a keyboard and mouse, simply because you don't adjust your speed depending on how far in you've pushed a key, compared to a controller where it actually varies depending on how far you've pushed the analog stick. With a mouse and keyboard it simply doesn't look as smooth, and hey, it's a really minor detail that shouldn't matter, but it bothers me and I've got a controller and no excuse not to use it.

Also, there's a reason I'm not even talking about strategy games and so on. I don't have to, right? Because I mean, we all agree on that. We have to. Right? RIGHT?!

@Migokalle

The 6 axis controls can be mapped out using a 3rd party tool DS3, but won't work if the game explicitly doesn't support ps3 or standard pc controller. (like skyrim), but will act as a PC controller. I mapped out the controls with dolphin and I mapped out some of the six axis to motion controls and the right analog sitck to motion controls, theres a tuturial on this

My bad on the xbox360 thing, I kinda forgot what it's peripheral was used for

What I meant is that the sixaxis motion control features does not work by default, but yeah, like you said you will need custom drivers for the PS3-controller to be recognized by Windows. Back when I was using one of those, I found that just setting it to emulate a 360-controller in the the DS3-settings would ensure compatibility with all games, though of course that would limit you to what a 360-controller could do.

#20 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

I use a keyboard for ZC because I got used to it back when I first messed with 1.92 back in 2009. I'm generally one of those die-hard default controls types.

• SinSeven likes this

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

If I'm not on an actual console, I will be using the Keyboard and Trackball. I only use a Gamepad when the controls perfectly fit the scene. I use a GCN controller for Smash Bros Crusade, and for Dolphin. A keyboard just won't do it under such circumstances.
  • SinSeven likes this

#22 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

This might sound dumb ShadowTiger but what's a track ball?

I am playing Alttp on my GC at the moment just to see all the differences from the GBA over the original. I must say I don't care for the controls but its not horrible.

#23 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

A track ball is one of those things that looks like an in-set marble, and spinning it will move the mouse in that direction. You can see them used in arcade cabinets for certain games. (I wonder how well a track-ball would work to replace a control stick...)

Anyways, if you're planning on getting a controller, try to find a place to get one from that lets you return it if you don't like how it feels. I got one of my controllers at a pawn shop where the policy on electronics was that if it didn't work, I had a week to return it no-questions-asked. The thing is, even with high quality controllers, it all comes down to the control pad. I've had a lot of problems with games using a control pad because the placement or the way it's made ended up making it too easy to have it register a diagonal when I meant to press straight down.

The best controller I've ever used was a PS2 controller, because it had extra rumble parts built into it which gave it a much more comfortable weight, and the control pad was four separate buttons, making direction problems like what I mentioned next to impossible. I only wish that I had an adapter to make it work for my PC, but I'm fairly happy with my 360 controller for that. It's still got some problems, but it works well enough for the games I play. If it's an emulated game that absolutely needs precise control with the control pad beyond what I can manage with the controller, I'll just run it on my DS flash card. (of course, then I have to sacrifice the graphics due to the slight screen crunch, but I can sometimes work around that.) Of course, now that we got my sister a new PSP charging cable, there's always that as well, when she lets me borrow it.

• SinSeven likes this

#24 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

I went out to BestBuy this weekend and sweet jebus lots of gamer keyboard brands that i have no idea about so looks like I am sticking with my stock desktop one for now. :augh:

#25 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

I went out to BestBuy this weekend and sweet jebus lots of gamer keyboard brands that i have no idea about so looks like I am sticking with my stock desktop one for now. :augh:

Yeah, it can be a bit hard to pick. Personally I'd go for a Steel Series or a Razer one. Those are the brands I've had the best experiences with, especially Steel Series. They also have a lot of cheaper keyboards that are still perfect for gaming, and a lot of them are mechanical as well, which is always preferred. 

#26 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

This might sound dumb ShadowTiger but what's a track ball?

This is the one I have. Note how it does not have a scroll wheel, but this one does, though it's right-handed and I use a trackball with my left.

EDIT: Also, my keyboard came with my first computer I owned exclusively. It is apparently melting slightly. The arrow keys and the left side of the right shift key are very visibly deformed, and I'm not sure what caused it.

But I like it. :P
  • SinSeven likes this

#27 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Now that trackball looks nicely balanced and symetric for left or right hand. I only seen one and it was very akward looking. I seen this crazy contraption not sure how to post links in here yet but http://www.bestbuy.c...3000&cp=1&lp=10 ..anyways razer tartarus keypad.

#28 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

For me, 99% of my time playing games, is with NES/SuFami controllers; original hardware with an adapter, rather than modern aftermarket (although older third-party, such as the Hudson FC controller, are also fantastic).

I use a keyboard, mainly when doing script, and other development testing, and resort again to a controller to playtest for enjoyment, and difficulty.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 27 August 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#29 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Sounds great ZoraRPG I shall check that out very soon!

#30 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

When I play games on Steam, I play with a controller. When I play a FPS, I use a keyboard and mouse. When I play emulators and Zelda Classic, I play on the keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users