Zeldaclassic.com & AGN issues

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

I noticed that Zeldaclassic.com said that the site may harm your computer...not sure why. It says it started happening last night. Anyone know what to make of it?

It said PureZC was fine though

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Given that AGN is constantly bombarded with hacking problems, it's probably a virus attack that'll get cleared in the next few days. Just stay away from it until then.

#3 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Feb 19 2011, 04:18 PM) View Post

Given that AGN is constantly bombarded with hacking problems, it's probably a virus attack that'll get cleared in the next few days. Just stay away from it until then.

Constantly bombarded? I honestly didn't know about it. Well, the hackers can kiss my you-know-what.

I got this exact message.
-------------
Reported Attack Page!

This web page at zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Yeah you're prob right, def. not go on that site for a bit.

#4 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

AGN hacked... again! Jeez, when will people learn that ZC isn't all that bad, Nintendo is alright with it just as long as we don't make any money out of it.

Then again, I think AGN's staff needs to stop abusing power, most notably Pineconn and Mercy. Mercy abused his power by locking several MBG threads that I posted in, to made me look like a spammer, when those posts weren't spammy at all. Pineconn trolled me in the New Member's forum for mispelling Ganon, which is grounds for a ban that he didn't recieve. Those two made me leave AGN, after I appealed to Warlord in a bid to reverse Mercy's actions, at the start of August last year.

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

It's exactly like last time. The site is prone to attacks, probably because it is on some attacker's hit list. How it started, who really knows? Most likely it has nothing to do with Zelda Classic or Nintendo, though. My bet is on something quite simple: Somebody one day pissing off someone who is capable of doing a lot of harm, who is also very ruthless and unforgiving. Basically, don't do certain stupid things, like shooting your mouth off a lot, and you won't be on an attacker's list. That doesn't just go for a webmaster or staff on a site, but for members who frequent it as well. None of this should be a surprise to anybody who remembers the last attack. As for me, I have certain opinions about the management of zc.com and AGN that I probably shouldn't share here, because I know it would amount to nothing.

As for you Orin, I know you are Mr. Righteous and all, and that is fine. But even when you are that way, there is still a lot to learn about the internet and how you act around people. This would include those you dislike, even if you are right and they are wrong. The way you acted at AGN certainly gave what was coming to you there, considering who you were dealing with. The way staff act on a site generally reflects the overall culture of those who control it. You can't save the world, pretty much, and to complain about all of its problems is not gonna go anywhere. Do the best you can to protect yourself, and know where the lines are, so that you know whether or not you are crossing them. Everything comes with the territory.

#6 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

I do wonder how it ever started, before I joined I was mainly a guest lurker on the forum. I joined when PureZC was down for one day, I have no idea why I did. Anyways, I'm glad I'm not a normal visitor there, since I would be kind of disappointed. But since I don't go on normally, really doesn't upset me.

I really want to know why it started, since I have seen several threads on here about AVG having viruses and being attacked. How did they ever get on someone's bad side? What could they have done to get attacked this frequently?

I have never really seen a site get attacked like AVG has, actually I've never seen a site get attacked before many other than AVG. I could look some sites up, and I don't visit many sites at all anymore, but whatever. Hopefully the site will be back up soon.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

So how exactly could AGN get a virus into someone's computer? The only way I can think of would be if they swapped out the quests on the site for viruses or something, but I don't believe they've done anything like that during previous attacks. Anyways. Mac user. *Walks in* *Downloads 300,000 viruses*. PC viruses. Problem, hackers?

#8 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Feb 19 2011, 08:56 PM) View Post

So how exactly could AGN get a virus into someone's computer? The only way I can think of would be if they swapped out the quests on the site for viruses or something, but I don't believe they've done anything like that during previous attacks. Anyways. Mac user. *Walks in* *Downloads 300,000 viruses*. PC viruses. Problem, hackers?

Scripting, my friend. That is how it is done these days. If all scripts are allowed on your browser, it opens up the floodgates to any automatic downloads, provided they are there. NoScript is a great preventer of that, though, as it only activates scripts that you allow your browser to when visiting any web page.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:36 AM

Yeah, websites can have code injected into them which can corrupt a part of the browser that is stored in the RAM allowing them to gain access to the computer and silently install things like viruses etc.

This is just a generalization and not really correct at all lmfao.

#10 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

I stopped going on AGN when there was an attack that deleted 6 months of posts and put me back to about 5 posts.

#11 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:37 AM

I notice the problem when I was about to introduce Zelda Classic to someone. Not a good first impression.

#12 Kwolfgames

Kwolfgames

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

If there's one thing I've noticed, is that AGN has a rep of being a place full of people that are VERY peculiar about how one pronounces certain things as well as certain over things related to the zelda universe. Tbh, from all that I've heard, and seen from lurking, it seems less and less overall friendly. :S

Edited by Kwolfgames, 26 February 2011 - 03:27 AM.

#13 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

so, I could get messed with for typing "Zora" or "Gannon?" really? that doesn't seem like it is the truth.

#14 Kwolfgames

Kwolfgames

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Feb 26 2011, 12:19 PM) View Post

so, I could get messed with for typing "Zora" or "Gannon?" really? that doesn't seem like it is the truth.

Well, you could always go and find out. I have no real plans to, since I've got this site, and that's more than enough for me.

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Feb 26 2011, 12:19 PM) View Post

"Zora"

How is that a misspelling? They haven't been called Zolas since Zelda 1.

I have to wonder why AGN has hacking problems but not PZC. Is AGN more susceptible to attacks or is PZC just "Not worth their time"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users