Remake

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:29 AM

The original music is energetic while the new music is more ambience (and I don't like the change to ambient music). Also unless it's just the stream acting up, various locations in the game drop the FPS from 60 down to 30 (where as the original game on the Gameboy always ran at 60FPS.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 15 June 2019 - 02:29 AM.

#62 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

I was reminded of this series of arrangements.

Would've been cool to hear something as dynamic as this for the remasters.

Oh I forgot to mention, I dislike that they went with the LTTP style Octoroks for this remake, instead of the GBC or Minish Cap styled ones.  I thought Minish Cap upgraded the 4 legged, Brock-faced Octoroks pretty well; I figured that's how they were supposed to look.

Edited by Koh, 15 June 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#63 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

Link Awakening is of course my favorite game. I own the original and DX darts as well as both unboxed Japanese versions. And naturally I preordered both the regular and edition of the remake. I am currently playing through A Link to the Past while I wait for it to be released. 

#64 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

The game is now available and no one is talking about it!

#65 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:50 PM

I don't have it yet and don't know when I'll get it, but I had a listen through the soundtrack, and wow does it deliver. I love the aesthetic of a small chamber group (with it seems some references to the Instruments of the Sirens) - it's cute. And then you get some bits which just reuse the 8-bit sound and other bits which are more orchestral.

Probably my favourite remix is the potion shop theme, which I have an irrational love for anyway. Tal Tal Heights is, of course, fantastic, though a departure from the original, and the Frog's Song of Soul is just as hilariously ear-bleeding (maybe more so) than originally.

Overall, if I had to judge the game entirely on the soundtrack, even taking into account the original, it's fantastic :P.

Now, if only I could actually get a chance to play it...

• Sheik likes this

#66 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:28 PM

I beat normal mode with 10 deaths, blue tunic, and level 1 sword. It's pretty faithful to the original versions and overall a great remake. My only issue is the frame rate, which gets pretty choppy at times.

#67 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

That's because a lot of the discussion is on Pure's Discord server, Nicholas. :P

Some messy thoughts about the remake and some of the changes that happened:

I'm nearing the end of Level 8 on normal, with almost 100%, though I'm not tackling the figurines and dungeon chambers stuff. I have been taking my time on this and enjoying my first playthrough as much as I can. Was a fan of the visuals, still am. Face Shrine (my favourite dungeon) stood out like a sore thumb for me for some reason. But the music really, really made up for it. The music of the last four levels really made the soundtrack for me. I enjoyed finding new HCPs too. I love the small improvements, they really added up to a more positive experience. I'm going to assume I'm going to love the ending scene if it's anything like the intro. Glad they kept Colour Dungeon in, considering the fate of a certain DX sidequest. Marin scenes and moments really made her character and the game for me, really glad they kept them in also as I'm not sure if that was DX exclusive. I forgot how much quirkiness and charm LA really had, I'm glad this remake reminded me and visualized it nicely.

For some bad things, frame rate was a bit problematic but nothing too bad. Combat is a bit weird, getting used to the 8-way movement and whatnot. Wish it was more like how A Link Between Worlds handled it. It's really odd seeing Link restricted while enemies aren't. I even knocked a Moblin onto a tree. I don't really care for Dungeon Chambers, I feel the photo sidequest was a lot more charming.

The lowest point for me is the Trendy minigame. I hate it so much. The physics really suck, and grabbing a certain object took me 250+ rupees to get because it kept falling out, like something was pushing it out. And when it laid on the side, I physically couldn't pick it up and had to leave which was another bad aspect of the physics. If everything just stood up it would have been a nicer experience IMO. Also Animal Village song is cursed. Lastly, I dislike the updated requirements for the Level 2 Sword. More shells are nice, but pushing the Level 2 Sword further up wasn't worth it and would have preferred newer, better rewards.

If the Oracles remake were to happen, they definitely need to polish up on the engine in regards to combat. Ideally, I would prefer an original Zelda instead made in this style or something similar to it.

• Jared and Matthew like this

#68 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

I watched a video of the Angler Fish fight to see if they did anything to improve it because it was a complete joke in the original. Actually moves around, attacks and it's no longer weak to excessive sword spamming.

#69 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:24 AM

I've started my run on Hero Mode, and am up to just finishing the Color Dungeon after Bottle Grotto.  Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to finish Key Cavern first, even in the original DX.  As soon as you return BowWow, you can enter the Color Dungeon in both versions.  I chose the Blue mail; it's the only way to increase defense in the game, so it's the correct choice, lol. Red Mail is like having a constant Piece of Power, which isn't necessary since the Seashell Sword does the same thing.  0 deaths so far on file~

Some notable changes I found out so far...

1. You can carry over 999 rupees unlike the original.

2. The Bombs don't appear in the tool shop after buying the shovel like in the original.  You have to finish Bottle Grotto first now.

Grinding the Trendy Game for rupees is just as easy as it was in the original. If you fail, you just reload. Always save before trying, and you never lose any money~ They make it easy to save scum like that, because you can save and load any time in the menu.  So I can't help but laugh, seeing all these people fail so hard on the Trendy Game on Youtube, when it's so easy to abuse it.

I'd give it a 7/10 so far. Aside from the graphics, the music remixes are also hit and miss for me. I think a fan did a better job with the soundtrack arrangement than the official thing. Not that it's BAD, just it could be better. Also what makes it lose points for me is that you can't use the D-pad buttons for movement. With the precise platforming using the Feather, it'd be nice...using the analog stick feels weird, especially with this top down perspective. Which brings up my next point...trying to hit things feels a bit harder than the original, because of the actual 3D now, and thus the depth perception can throw you off a bit.

Edited by Koh, 25 September 2019 - 06:34 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#70 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

What Should I Say I Think I Prefer More The Original But For All Zelda Fans I Wouldnt Mind The Same Happens to OOA and OOS :D

#71 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:53 PM

I'd love to see remakes of OoX, tbh. Probably some of the most underappreciated Zelda games there are, with Minish Cap and FSA (well, I don't actually know how good FSA is, to be fair)

#72 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:24 PM

I put my thoughts here on Reddit (after getting the Sword & Shield): https://old.reddit.c...launch/f1duawp/

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 October 2019 - 01:34 AM.

#73 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:52 AM

I'm loving it! I wasn't a huge fan of the art style initially, but the excitement to play one of my all-time favorite Zelda games was enough for me to overcome that. Since, I've come to find it quite endearing and true to the style of the game. I have been making my way through it with relative ease, which is surprising for a game I used to find pretty challenging, but I can't actually identify anything that is easier.

So perhaps I just used to be really bad at video games. :blah:

Anyway, only heading towards the third dungeon so I've got some ground to cover but I'm having a bast and grateful for the opportunity to relive this game! I'd love if they would do Oracles remakes with the same engine. 

#74 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

Just completed the game and it was a joy. I have some very minor complaints: I swear they added extra downtime when chests/keys appear or when picking up certain key items that wasn't there in the original. For that matter, I'm pretty sure keys dropped and chests appeared without stopping the gameplay before, so what happened here?

It's also very odd that this is strictly an eight-way movement game but you can only move with the control stick. They let you use the d-pad in menus, and it's even the only way to change floors when looking at a dungeon map, so why can't you move with it? I swear dashing/aiming can be finicky at times because of it. Speaking of dashing, why can't we dash diagonally if we can now aim weapons diagonally? Would it just break the game too much if we could?

Also Link getting his sword back in the original was cooler, the spin attack killed all nearby enemies in that cutscene, but not here. Tiny complaint, but still something I noticed.

Apart from that... and from this angry rant I dropped about chamber dungeons... This is a fantastic remake. The graphics are absolute perfection, they really do complement the atmosphere of the original game. It's a direct upgrade, although I'm almost certain some of the enemy models were just ripped directly from A Link Between Worlds and given minor touch-up. But it's such a joy to look at, even with the occasional choppy framerate. Would honestly love to see more remakes in something similar, just tweaked to match the style of the game being remade. Will we finally get our Zelda 1 remake?

I guess if there's only one other flaw I can mention, it's that it's admittedly sometimes hard to see south entryways in caves and dungeons. Only tripped me up a little bit, but the perspective made it slightly trickier than it did with the original sprite work. But otherwise, I highly enjoyed the upgraded art assets, especially that intro animation. Would love to see something like that return in future games... Hell, topdown Zelda games with animated cutscenes? It'd be ambitious but I'd love it.

Spoiler

So... yeah. I love the original game so much and this is just the definitive version. I'll admit not all of the music remixes are winners, and some small changes raise an eyebrow, but if I'm recommending this game to someone, it'd be this version. Especially a newer player, who might not have the patience for some of the quirks of the original's ancient engine. I'll also admit maybe $60 is a bit steep, but only because of the Crash and Spyro trilogy remakes being $40, so it's really uneven. Without that example, I would honestly call it fair, simply because it's still a decent length and clearly all the effort that went into this remake. I had a great time, and if all future Zelda remakes have as much effort put into them as this? Well, I'm certainly on board with more.

• nicklegends, Mitsukara and Matthew like this

#75 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

I just finished Face Shrine today, and will be heading to Eagle's Tower soon.  I don't think my rating has changed having gotten this far in, the things that draw me back haven't changed.  I will say though, I will amend my stance on the graphics.  Having played it this much, I will say I can see the love and care put into the new expressive animations and such.  I think it's just due to the fact that it's a remake that's contending with established concept art that's my problem, but on its own it's really good and full of life.  

In order for it to get more than a 7/10 from me, they'd need to patch in D-Pad movement at the bare minimum.  It's super annoying trying to do the precise platforming with the analog stick, and Link just walks diagonally or something, when that wasn't the intent.

I really wish they hadn't replaced the camera photos sidequest with Dampe.  The dungeon thing is alright, but for a single player experience, it's pretty pointless.  Literally only did it for the Heart Piece, lol.

@TheSatellite

You know, the game feels slower overall.  Link feels like he walks alot slower, for one.  But also, as you pointed out, there's a lot more pausing moments in this than there was in the original DX version.  I actually think the original DX version is still recommendable to this day, despite its few flaws.  It's not like Final Fantasy 1 or Pokemon Gen 1 with the PSP port or Fire Red, where it's straight up fixing a broken game, haha.  With those games, I send them straight those definitive versions of those games.  But, LA DX is still pretty polished on its own.  So what I've recommended to my friends is to play LADX first, and then play the remake to appreciate any quality of life changes more, but also understand exactly what's changed.  

I know I certainly appreciate the faster text. And the removal of auto-prompts like

"HUH?  WHAT A STRANGE OBJECT, THERE WAS MUST SOME WAY TO TACKLE THIS OBSTACLE!"

Edited by Koh, 27 September 2019 - 09:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Remake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users