Photo

Castlevania

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

Air Luigi was right, Castlevania discussion has apparently become all the rage so, like Megaman, IT'S TIME FOR A THREAD.

Because I'm late to this series and I regret that, because it's full of some quality stuff, both classic and Metroidvania style. Great music, fun gameplay, and so far a decent storyline as well.

My experience with the classic style so far is limited to Castlevania on the NES, Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania: Bloodlines, and Castlevania: Dracula X. I intend to play Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (unsure if original version or the Redaction hack), Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Famicom version), and Rondo of Blood. So far Castlevania IV is my favorite of those, a big factor being its freedom of controls compared to the stiff, predetermined jumping arc of the others, though even then the overall package of the game just makes me want to complete it and see what all's within... or, in Dracula X's case, makes me want to get it over with.

I will readily admit that, other than Theme of Simon, Super Castlevania IV's soundtrack, while beautifully and perfectly atmospheric, just isn't anywhere near as catchy or memorable as other games of either style.

With Metroidvanias, Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, and Harmony of Dissonance. Symphony is fantastic, easy bosses aside, but the gameplay is just so fun, the castle is great to explore, the soundtrack is great, and the story is good. Even the cheesy acting is iconic and honestly kind of awesome at times, and I enjoy it unironically.

Circle is good with a catchy soundtrack, even if some of it is remixed from other games, and the gameplay and its card system is pretty solid, though it has a mean difficulty jump at the chapel. Thankfully, once you get used to that, it remains consistent from then on, although it jumps again at Dracula...

Harmony of Dissonance is kind of tedious with a lackluster soundtrack and unfortunately a poor take on one of my favorite gameplay mechanics, which is a shame. Getting through it was somewhat a chore and it was incredibly easy throughout. Not one of my favorites.

And I'm moving on to all the Metroidvania games afterward, as well as the ones I mentioned above. Castlevania is a great experience and I'm sad I'm late to it, especially when it's essentially dead now. But that's my experience so far. What about the rest of PureZC?

• Magi_Hero, Air Luigi, HavoX and 1 other like this

#2 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

I LP'd Castlevanias 1-3 and did Super Castlevania.  The music is some of the best I've ever heard and the gameplay is very fun.  :3

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:05 PM

I can't say I've played any of them, and I can't say the non-Metroidvania ones really appeal to me. Good music from what I've heard, but the games themselves just seem more frustrating than fun. The Metroidvania style ones, on the other hand, I have been meaning to get to... eventually.

But for now, this is my favorite thing to have come out of the series.

#4 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:36 AM

I have little experience with this series , I played only Curse of Darkness and lament of innocence.

I loved Curse of Darkness 'cause you may use many different weapons, summon monsters and raise them.

As for Lament of Innocence...i liked it but not so much, it was more fun playing with Joachim ( a boss, after you clear the game you may use him ) than whit the hero.

#5 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

I've only played 2 Castlevania games.

There's Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, which I thought was a pretty good game.

Then there's Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, which is my all time favorite N64 game.

#6 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

Then there's Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, which is my all time favorite N64 game.

Sarcasm?

#7 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:27 AM

Sarcasm?

Why would it be? I legitimately love the game, and could probably ramble on and on about why I love it so much.

• Shane likes this

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:16 AM

Maybe I'm confusing it with that N64 game that uh, isn't so great .

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

Every 2D PS1, GBA, and DS Metroidvania is my favorite Castlevania game. Hands down. I've also played Castlevania 2, and it was merely okay within the mighty shadow of the 2D Metroidvania games on the aforementioned platforms.

SotN was one of those sorts of games that you can easily do the equivalent of a three-heart-run on.

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

SotN was one of those sorts of games that you can easily do the equivalent of a three-heart-run on.

You mean a low level run?  It becomes a pain in the ass at some points, since you're literally only scratching the bosses at times.  Once you get much better...near endgame weapons though...Double Crissagrim all the way S=).

All the Metroidvanias I've played (SoTN, AoS, PoR, CotM) were all great. I've played a few of the classicvanias (1, Dracula X, Super IV), and naturally SIV had the best controls and overall feel.  The choppy stiffness of the others is just bullshit, especially since the enemies have way more mobility than the player.

Edited by Koh, 08 August 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#11 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

Maybe I'm confusing it with that N64 game that uh, isn't so great .

Who knows.

#12 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

Aren't there 2 versions of that game? A buggy less complete version and like a re-release with more content and playable characters and just sucking less because of numerous bug fixes?

#13 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

Aren't there 2 versions of that game? A buggy less complete version and like a re-release with more content and playable characters and just sucking less because of numerous bug fixes?

Legacy of Darkness fixed pretty much every major problem with the original Castlevania 64, as well as added plenty of new content. Essentially, from what I'd heard, some of the content wasn't in the original game due to time constraints. So basically, think of Legacy of Darkness as the game that was supposed to be, while the original was basically the alpha of Legacy of Darkness.

Objective: Ramble on about how awesome Legacy of Darkness is...I may make a video on it...or stream it, idk.

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

I've never played a single Castlevania game before nor have I seen a full playthrough of it, and I probably won't for a while. The Castlevania series as a whole doesn't really appeal to me right now. Games like that just aren't really my thing I guess. I know there are different types of Castlevania games rather than the classic sidescrolling ones, but meh I'm just not really bothered to try them out.

The only thing I can say though is the soundtrack as a whole in the Castlevania series is spectacular. I'll probably pick up the games in the future but we'll see.

#15 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

This series is wonderful. I'm a fan of both styles of games. I don't really have much to add except you can't go wrong with any of the DS games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users