• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#16 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

I never did finish inserting this into ZQuest, but here's an unfinished sprite insertion. (I'd say it's custom since I changed the palette to fit it somewhat.)

RWT5rFL.png

I'll move on to completely custom sprite art eventually, but for now, this should do.

Edited by Goriya, 17 January 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#17 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Z04tpk0.png
Not for use, thank you.

Nice spritework Koh and Goriya. Loving the water the most Koh.

Edited by Charizard, 17 January 2014 - 11:11 AM.

• Avaro, Jared, Demonlink and 1 other like this

#18 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

Goddess Sword evolution Shane? Looking pretty sweet!
  • Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#19 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

It IS the Goddess Sword actually. I wanted the handle to illustrate the Goddess Statue somewhat. My quest explains an alternative origin story of Hylia. :)

Derp, forgot to thank you! Thanks!

Edited by Charizard, 17 January 2014 - 11:52 AM.

• Demonlink likes this

#20 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Well, mine's not particularly my spritework. It was more or less a recoloring/palette of a GBA Fire Emblem Sprite turned into an NES style.

• Shane likes this

#21 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

@Goriya:  The pixel art looks good.  Pretty large, though; it'd take up most of the screen.

@Charizard:  Seems even the GBC colors can whip up some nice detail =).

8BitTileTest_zps984bd30f.gif

I spent most of the time just doing all sorts of edges, and the new trees.  I still have more edges to do, namely with shallow water meeting water, but I think I want to move on to cliff tiles for now; I are excite for that.

• Shane likes this

#22 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

I really like how the shallow water looks- it's easy to imagine that there's a lot of small rocks and gravel at the bottom of it, much like stepping out to the beach at my local lake.  The trees have been really nice too, both variations.

• Shane likes this

#23 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

Man, your skills with animating things is beyond impressive. But I do have some suggestions and critique to share in regards to the colours of the water. I know it's meant to be hardcore NES colour restrictions but is there not a lighter blue? Like in Z1's LEVEL-1? Grey works fine - I just feel like an alternative blue version of the water could suffice. Also I wouldn't recommend adding water transitions - it may end up looking too noisy especially for something retro and simplistic as the NES style.

Trees are improved for the best. Tons better than the previous ones. I feel like they could use more of a GB tree perspective though - it looks funky even more when the tiny trees have the GB tree perspective. Other than these things, the tileset looks pretty sweet.

Edited by Charizard, 18 January 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#24 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

It actually is in a top down perspective, but what you're witnessing from the treetops that the player can walk behind is compromise.  Take a look at picture below:

TreeCompromise_zpsce9c7633.png

On the far left, we have the original "grounded" tree.  The lighting and shading is able to work within each 8x8 box (or in this case, 32x32, since it's scaled x4 so you can see it easier) without breaking the 4 color limit.

The middle left is what's produced when you decide "I want to be able to make the same tree layer-able," and proceed with getting rid of all pixels that would get in the way with layering with your transparent color, on the outer 8x8 (32x32 here) tiles.  But hold on!  That introduces a 5th color!  Considering I'm strictly limiting myself to the 4 colors per 8x8 (32x32 here) tile, this means you have to cut one of the other colors somehow, someway.

This brings us to the middle right.  Obviously, you need to keep the green and black, so that means you can either get rid of the tannish color (highlights) or the blue color (shades).  I chose to get rid of the highlights, since that would be less jarring than getting rid of the shading.  The lower 8x8 (32x32 here) tiles would still need the highlights though, if you layer the bottom-left half of a tree next to a grounded right one, so I decided to replace any offending green pixels with the brown.

The right is the final result of all the changes, where all the 8x8 (32x32 here) tiles can still stay within the 4 color limit. 

Edited by Koh, 18 January 2014 - 07:34 AM.

• Shane likes this

#25 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

JaghNES_zpse363c832.png

Yup.

• Jared likes this

#26 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I see the 4 colors virus has spread XD.  It looks pretty good to me =).

Alf_zps0e8940ad.png

Meet Alf~  He's going to be our hero in this 8-bit wonderland these tiles are going to be featured in.  This is his idle battle sprite.  You can probably guess what the game would play like.

#27 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hello thar Alf.

I can kinda guess what this would play like. RPG I assume? :3

#28 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

I see the 4 colors virus has spread XD.  It looks pretty good to me =).

Alf_zps0e8940ad.png

Meet Alf~  He's going to be our hero in this 8-bit wonderland these tiles are going to be featured in.  This is his idle battle sprite.  You can probably guess what the game would play like.

I see the 8-bit furry virus is spreading too. Where's Orithan when we need him? :P

Looks good. I don't really dig the blue outline. I'd go with black or dark red, but that's just me.

JaghNES_zps5938ac17.png

Little more work on that.

Edited by Fausch, 21 January 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#29 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

The only thing I'd say is the hold item sprites.  Instead of looking out ahead of him/at the player, I feel it'd be best to have him looking up at the item he's holding up.

It's been a while, but I finally got more time to do more on these.

8BitTileTest_zps4280fa51.gif

• Astromeow likes this

#30 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Looks like some sort of floating isle. I like it a lot though :D

• coolgamer012345 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users