32x32 HQ Sprite Attempt.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

This is for my WIP game I've been working on for weeks now, Kenta's Journey. It may sound familiar in the sense that back in '07, I was working on a game called Ken's Adventure. This is basically that re-envisioned, because I found interest and ideas anew, and since I have learned a lot more in the ways of programming and spriting than I had known 4 years ago, I thought I'd start working on this on the side. One of the things I decided was that I'd have a graphic switch in the options, where you can switch between High Quality, and Normal Quality (Default). I think it's fairly obvious which is which below, but I'd like to take a moment to explain a few things.

The game itself is to follow Kenta (whom lost his memories and can't speak; at least for now. You'll learn more as the story progresses, and maybe even help him get his voice back.) and Sparkz (Kenta's Navi-like, fuzzy little companion that has the power to read Kenta's thoughts, and he can communicate with others for Kenta.) as they travel the lands and solve the mysteries behind what I like to call rebellious nature. Vines, for example, transformed into monsters that attack humans due to unknown reasons. Slimes, normally docile and tameable creatures, off of their rockers and attacking people as well. Kenta and Sparkz are out to solve the crisis once and for all. Of course, the game will have some humor and sidequests. A situation of a sidequest would be when Kenta arrives to a town that's basically overrun with bandits, and he'd help drive them out and clean out their den. But as they travel on, they not only get closer to solving the problem, but also learn more about Kenta's past and how things came to be, as he regains his memories and pieces it all together.

So, below, I have Kenta's sprite. On the left, is the normal, stretched, hand-drawn 16x16 version which is what Normal Quality will look like. On the right is the freshly hand-drawn natural 32x32 version, quality of which is featured of sprites in High Quality.

Kenta's Sprite
IPB Image

Random Practice
Gold/Ethan
IPB Image

HQ Newfirst Sprites
IPB Image
IPB Image

HQ Newfirst HUD and Items
IPB Image

Tall Link
IPB Image

Feedback on both the story and the sprites are highly appreciated icon_smile.gif.

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

For added practice, I redid the Newfirst Link in high quality icon_smile.gif. For added fun, I limited myself to only the colors on his palette, so as to make him higher quality without using anymore colors. Feedback, critiques, etc. are all welcomed.

IPB Image

#3 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Nice, the Kenta reminds me of MapleStory icon_biggrin.gif

Will you use these in ZQuest? and is that possible?

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

No, actually I'm making my own engine in Game Maker, but it IS possible. When you're selecting a tile for a pose for Link, press 'X' to extend the sprite box to 16x32 (pixels), and again to 32x32 pixels). But thanks for the feedback, and yes I also thought of Maple Story as I finished icon_smile.gif.

#5 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

I like the New First update, though I don't think it would work in ZC well. While the colors may be limited, I think it'd still stick out. Have you considered making a full sheet of Big Link sprites?

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(Adem @ Nov 18 2011, 10:24 AM) View Post

I like the New First update, though I don't think it would work in ZC well. While the colors may be limited, I think it'd still stick out. Have you considered making a full sheet of Big Link sprites?

Hmm, no I didn't consider it at all. But I could try doing the other directions icon_smile.gif.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

The database could use a 16x32 pixels Link pretty badly. You've been drawing so many 16x16 pixels Links, you would probably succed at the task of drawing a tilesheet for big Link.

Edited by Yoshimi, 18 November 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Nov 17 2011, 04:49 AM) View Post
This is for my WIP game I've been working on for weeks now, Kenta's Journey. It may sound familiar in the sense that back in '07, I was working on a game called Ken's Adventure. This is basically that re-envisioned, because I found interest and ideas anew, and since I have learned a lot more in the ways of programming and spriting than I had known 4 years ago, I thought I'd start working on this on the side. One of the things I decided was that I'd have a graphic switch in the options, where you can switch between High Quality, and Normal Quality (Default). I think it's fairly obvious which is which below, but I'd like to take a moment to explain a few things.

The game itself is to follow Kenta (whom lost his memories and can't speak; at least for now. You'll learn more as the story progresses, and maybe even help him get his voice back.) and Sparkz (Kenta's Navi-like, fuzzy little companion that has the power to read Kenta's thoughts, and he can communicate with others for Kenta.) as they travel the lands and solve the mysteries behind what I like to call rebellious nature. Vines, for example, transformed into monsters that attack humans due to unknown reasons. Slimes, normally docile and tameable creatures, off of their rockers and attacking people as well. Kenta and Sparkz are out to solve the crisis once and for all. Of course, the game will have some humor and sidequests. A situation of a sidequest would be when Kenta arrives to a town that's basically overrun with bandits, and he'd help drive them out and clean out their den. But as they travel on, they not only get closer to solving the problem, but also learn more about Kenta's past and how things came to be, as he regains his memories and pieces it all together.

So, below, I have Kenta's sprite. On the left, is the normal, stretched, hand-drawn 16x16 version which is what Normal Quality will look like. On the right is the freshly hand-drawn natural 32x32 version, quality of which is featured of sprites in High Quality.

Kenta's Sprite
IPB Image

Random Practice
HQ Newfirst Link
IPB Image

Feedback on both the story and the sprites are highly appreciated icon_smile.gif .
The first one is okay I guess, but the Link is one of the worst things you have ever made. I don't even know how to explain it, it just looks so horribly wrong. I like how you limited yourself to the colors in the original (do this more often, you seem to get better results in terms of not having that metallic or pillow-shaded look), but that Link is just outright horrible. Worse than the old Pure tileset Link that looks like he's sitting on a toilet (kind of looks like this one does too). You have to understand, the reason the 16x16 Link is so cramped is because they didn't have more space. Instead of utilizing the space creatively, you just seem to have taken the old sprite and made the pixels smaller to show more detail, but the problem is that it just doesn't work very well at all. It'd have been much better if you instead used the height of the 32x32 box, but also made Link thinner. There's no reason he has to be that wide, it just looks really bad :/

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(Galactic President Superstar McA @ Nov 18 2011, 04:16 PM) View Post

The first one is okay I guess, but the Link is one of the worst things you have ever made. I don't even know how to explain it, it just looks so horribly wrong. I like how you limited yourself to the colors in the original (do this more often, you seem to get better results in terms of not having that metallic or pillow-shaded look), but that Link is just outright horrible. Worse than the old Pure tileset Link that looks like he's sitting on a toilet (kind of looks like this one does too). You have to understand, the reason the 16x16 Link is so cramped is because they didn't have more space. Instead of utilizing the space creatively, you just seem to have taken the old sprite and made the pixels smaller to show more detail, but the problem is that it just doesn't work very well at all. It'd have been much better if you instead used the height of the 32x32 box, but also made Link thinner. There's no reason he has to be that wide, it just looks really bad :/

I suppose here I went with my inner instinct. Because increasing the size of his head, but not the size of his body, would look pretty ridiculous. Big head with a pole body. However, doing a 16x32 sprite is far different than what I'm showing here. While the concept isn't bad, it doesn't exactly "flow" with what I'm doing here either. Basically, if you have a graphical switch in a 2D game, you'll WANT the dimensions to match up. So, while the regular sprites may be 16x16 sprites scaled x2, the HQ sprites would have no choice but to be 32x32. You don't necessarily have to fill EVERY pixel, however, it should at least hold the same ratio as the 16x16 sprite, hence why Link's body is also scaled with his head. Now a 16x32 sprite would be a weird creature all on it's own. Half that to get normal detail, and you're saying Link is naturally 8x16. 8x16? See where I'm going with this icon_wink.gif?

EDIT: Good examples of what I'm talking about are the PSP remakes of Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 4. Doubled the dimensions of every sprite, kept the ratios, and added more detail icon_smile.gif. Compare the following:
http://www.spriters-...1n2/sheet/10509
http://www.spriters-...psp/sheet/38479
Do you see what they did there icon_smile.gif?

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Nov 19 2011, 12:35 AM) View Post

I suppose here I went with my inner instinct. Because increasing the size of his head, but not the size of his body, would look pretty ridiculous. Big head with a pole body. However, doing a 16x32 sprite is far different than what I'm showing here. While the concept isn't bad, it doesn't exactly "flow" with what I'm doing here either. Basically, if you have a graphical switch in a 2D game, you'll WANT the dimensions to match up. So, while the regular sprites may be 16x16 sprites scaled x2, the HQ sprites would have no choice but to be 32x32. You don't necessarily have to fill EVERY pixel, however, it should at least hold the same ratio as the 16x16 sprite, hence why Link's body is also scaled with his head. Now a 16x32 sprite would be a weird creature all on it's own. Half that to get normal detail, and you're saying Link is naturally 8x16. 8x16? See where I'm going with this icon_wink.gif ?

EDIT: Good examples of what I'm talking about are the PSP remakes of Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 4. Doubled the dimensions of every sprite, kept the ratios, and added more detail icon_smile.gif . Compare the following:
http://www.spriters-...1n2/sheet/10509
http://www.spriters-...psp/sheet/38479
Do you see what they did there icon_smile.gif ?
Yes, I understand that, but that's not what I was talking about. I was just saying that your new Link sprite looks really really really bad. No offense, of course. The other one, as I said, looks okay, and compared to the Link it's pretty much two worlds apart.

#11 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

Just for kicks, I gave the 16x32 Link a shot:

IPB Image

Again, Limited myself to the Newfirst Link Pallete. But I used those other greens, because the default greens are bright as hell. Before I realized it, however, I used up the exact dimensions o.o. If someone were to animate that, they'd have a challenge ahead of them xD.

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Now THAT is a Link! Very good! If he wasn't so tall, he'd be usable for a ZC quest.

#13 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Uh, you know about big Link sprites, right? In the Link sprite selector, press "X" to switch between normal, tall (like that) and large (32x32).

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

I know that, silly! But big Link's like that look weird in ZQ. They usually need to be 16x24. 16x32 looks weird.

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

There, I even went further, and edited it some more, while dropping the darkest yellow to allow for a two-tone tunic icon_biggrin.gif.

Cascaded comparisons!

HQ Newfirst Link
Version 1: IPB Image
Version 2: IPB Image
Version 3: IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users