7943 replies to this topic

#31 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Apr 17 2011, 07:35 AM) View Post
IPB Image
Yeah you also don't get red do you icon_razz.gif ? Better?
I'm sorry, but the MC water does in no way go well with the Pure graphics. It's a bit like seeing a tree from Skyward Sword in Ocarina of Time. It just sticks out really badly. Other than that, it's a fairly basic screen. A good one at that. The only thing that really bothers me is the water, as I have already mentioned, and the fact that the palette looks slightly washed out. It may just be my monitor though.

#32 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

It looks fine to everybody else. It doesn't look bad at all. The Water tiles are recolored to fit these graphics anyway so what's the deal?

#33 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

I, honestly, don't think there's too much style clash there. Then again, I'm not good at noticing these things. I think it's better than using plain old LttP water in my eyes; at least it's something new.

@Keiichi123: I could recolor classic mountains to fit into the DoR palette, but does that mean it would look good? Not really. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Moo2wo, 17 April 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#34 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

IPB Image

What do you guys think of this?

#35 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Moo2wo @ Apr 17 2011, 09:57 AM) View Post

I, honestly, don't think there's too much style clash there. Then again, I'm not good at noticing these things. I think it's better than using plain old LttP water in my eyes; at least it's something new.

@Keiichi123: I could recolor classic mountains to fit into the DoR palette, but does that mean it would look good? Not really. icon_wink.gif

You have a good point, but LTTP water is very boring and overused due to the fact that most tilesets use it. I want to try something different, and better detailed. I don't mind if the water doesn't fit perfectly.

#36 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Apr 17 2011, 09:58 AM) View Post

IPB Image

What do you guys think of this?

Youuu are getting too good at DoR for your own good. Yesssss...I fear you may have to have an unfortunate accident...

The only thing I can see in your screen that I don't like are those green rocks. Make them brown or white.

#37 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 17 2011, 12:50 PM) View Post

Youuu are getting too good at DoR for your own good. Yesssss...I fear you may have to have an unfortunate accident...

The only thing I can see in your screen that I don't like are those green rocks. Make them brown or white.

Oh Pokemonmaster, that makes me feel REALLY happy. No one has ever told me that before. :')
And what rocks? They are white. icon_razz.gif

#38 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Apr 17 2011, 12:00 PM) View Post

You have a good point, but LTTP water is very boring and overused due to the fact that most tilesets use it. I want to try something different, and better detailed. I don't mind if the water doesn't fit perfectly.

If the player will be able to walk on either side of the house, cover the corners, and remove the tree on the right of the ladder. Other than that, you got a solid screen.

#39 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

They can't walk on the sides of the house. There's one minitile blocking it.

And what's wrong with the tree? I like it.

Edited by Lynker, 17 April 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#40 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

As soon as the player enters the screen, there is an obstacle blocking the player's path. It disrupts the flow of the screen.

#41 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

There's two tiles to walk, how is that obstructing the player?

#42 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

There's two tiles to walk, but five tiles to enter the screen in.

#43 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Thank you, but i'm not changing it for the time being. It needs trees, and there's not much room because of the mountains shadows.

#44 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Here is a map I've been working on. It's not quite finished and needs some work, but I want to show you guys what I've come up with so far.

http://zcrealm.net/screen.php?num=220
Very heavily inspired by Golden Sun villages. I hope it doesn't look like a copy...

Note: The lake has more water detail. It's just not cycling in this picture.

Edited by Keiichi123, 17 April 2011 - 04:09 PM.

#45 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Very heavily inspired by Golden Sun villages. I hp[e it doesn't look like a copy...
Do that more often. It's totally fine to use references. I'd actually say it's highly recommanded. None of us is a professional game designer. Games made be the big companies are made by professional game designers. There must be something we can learn from examining and referencing their work.
I quite like the layout. The tile choice isn't too nice in my eyes, but that's also an issue of the tileset. Palette is nice. Maybe a little too busy, sometimes less is more.
Edit: I recommand getting rid of at least the puffy Pokemon tree. Water borders should all be the same, tMC might be a good fit, since you use the redrawn treetops and the tall grass. The pines are okay, but you could try replacing them with LttP small trees with redrawn treetops. The leaf pile on the right looks out of place, so do the mushrooms. The orange veins look odd, maybe green would look better.

Edited by Sheik91, 17 April 2011 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users