Addendum to the SPAM rule (rule #2)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

For many years, PureZC has had no rule for gravedigging.  That is, reviving a topic that hasn't been posted in for a very long time.  While we don't have plans to bring back any such rule, we have decided to add a guideline to the rule on SPAM just to clarify how the staff view the revival of old topics.  The following has been added to the rule:

Additionally pay attention to the date that a topic was last posted in.  While we are generally not strict about posting in topics that haven't seen a post in over a year, there should be a good reason to if you do.  If we feel there wasn't a good reason for such a post, we will likely lock the topic.

This is not meant to be anything new or changed, but rather to clarify our stance on reviving old topics, which prior to now has not been made clear in our rules.  There is no strict rule against reviving old topics, but doing so should be done only if you feel there is a good reason to.  Sometimes you might have new information on an old but relevant topic, for example.  If we think such a post shouldn't have been made, you won't be in any trouble for it, but bear in mind that we may lock the topic as a result.
  • Neppy, Eddy, Jenny and 7 others like this

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

I used to have a bad habit of doing this by mistake when I was new here. To try to get the groove of things, I would often go to the "active members" section on the bottom of the page to see who's online and what topics are trending or just looking for interesting topics to post in. So whatever interesting topics I saw, I'd post.

That's before I realized there were a bunch of spam bots (or google bots? Or whatever, they were like a billion guests) looking in topics that are like over 5 years old or more that I was commenting to. lol

It surely gathered quite a community reaction at the time when I made the habit of replying to topics that are half a decade old. lol

• Cukeman likes this

#3 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

I'm surprised that this wasn't in place yet already, as most forums I'm a part of have this rule already, and have had them for ages.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

We actually used to have a really hard and fast "no gravedigging, period" rule, where, if a thread hadn't had a post in it for two months, it was considered "dead" and any posts made in it would be met with a lock. I think certain threads had exceptions, including pinned ones, but eventually we realized it was just a silly, arbitrary rule. It just seems that, in striking it out as a solid rule, we just forgot to keep clearer indication that it's more of a guideline than a rule. :P

• Anthus likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:14 PM

I still think this is one of the best forums out there, when you really sit down, and compare it to other forums in general. This rule makes sense. There's no point in bumping a 12 year old topic with something like "oh yeah, that's cool, me too." but I think the staff is basically saying, "as long as it is relevant, it's okay, just don't be dumb about it".

• Nathaniel likes this

#6 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:32 PM

We actually used to have a really hard and fast "no gravedigging, period" rule, where, if a thread hadn't had a post in it for two months, it was considered "dead" and any posts made in it would be met with a lock. I think certain threads had exceptions, including pinned ones, but eventually we realized it was just a silly, arbitrary rule. It just seems that, in striking it out as a solid rule, we just forgot to keep clearer indication that it's more of a guideline than a rule. :P

2 months seemed kind of harsh when it was suggested.  I always thought that 6 months would have been more realistic, mostly for bumps of the OP's thread for updates (I've been known to do that, my LTTP album and now MSU-1 music hack, for example.)

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

Well, couple that with a similarly-arbitrary rule of "no double posting within under 24 hours of the last post and no triple posting period," it made that a little difficult as well. :P

We're a lot more lax on the rules than we used to be, and I think we're better off for it.

• thepsynergist and Anthus like this

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

Short question, I often can't find a topic that fits my needs to 100%. But since it is also not good to create a new topic for any tiny thing I often go with one that at least has some connections to the topic I want to talk about. Is this considered reasonable gravedigging or just spam where I should rather start a new topic?

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

Short question, I often can't find a topic that fits my needs to 100%. But since it is also not good to create a new topic for any tiny thing I often go with one that at least has some connections to the topic I want to talk about. Is this considered reasonable gravedigging or just spam where I should rather start a new topic?

The other staff can correct me on this if needed but a gravedig is fine so long as it is within good reason. Though personally I'd still just make a new topic. If the thread in question is older than 2 years I'm sure people won't mind if you're making a similar topic.
  • Naru likes this

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, we won't mind either way. :)

#11 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

To tl;dr previous posts:

This is to deter gravedigging with little to no useful additions to the conversation.

I.E. a two year old thread about bagels and saying "I love cream cheese".
  • Avaro likes this

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Would this rule apply to the person who originally created the topic in the first place? In my case, i usually stop following things that haven't received any replies in over a month, but I can see how there might be cases where this wouldn't apply such as topics created to discuss scripting libraries, tilesets or quests that are in production but which might get stalled for whatever reason.

#13 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Those who start topics I think tend to generally have more good reasons to revive their old topics than those who didn't start the topic.

Reviving old help topics I think is fine if you either have news about your work, or if somebody is actually asking for help.

If a project topic has been stagnant for a while, and you just want to inform people of what has been going on (or not), I think that is usually perfectly valid to post about.  Now if you have several posts in a row stating that you haven't done anything, that could be considered excessive.

#14 Ridgelish

Ridgelish

• Banned

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:35 AM

Robin Lane from North Las Vegas was looking for best dissertation proposal editing service

Shayne Hughes found the answer to a search query best dissertation proposal editing service

Paper Writing Service - LINK REMOVED BY STAFF

essays on medieval weapons and armorprofessional analysis essay writing siteuse and misuse of internet essayscience project essay paperuh thesis format, getting married at a young age essaygreat topics write argumentative essayessay format with referencethe heart of darkness essays. quotes around book title in essayformat of scholarship application essay, best dissertation proposal editing service A Booming End to the 19th Century.
course work writers for hire usa. home work ghostwriters service gbhow to write an essay basics clothing cheap critical essay editor websites ca.
japanese history essays. real student essays, free classification essay sampletrickster tales essay. popular phd essay ghostwriting for hire gb popular personal essay ghostwriter sites for mba!
protection of child rights in india essay -  best dissertation proposal editing service and esl paper writer site for university, going rate dissertation editing.
essay on shortfall of electricity in pakistanwrite popular reflective essay on founding fathers. essays books reading! essay topics my dreams research paper on ghana.
esl papers writing site usdefinition essay topics, dissertationen uni heidelberg? essay on religion for peace and harmony, help writing professional masters essay on usa.
top best essay writing websites for masterstop admission essay ghostwriters site for mba. rule of law in australia essay can dissertations published. step by step essay writing guide, best dissertation proposal editing service professional dissertation conclusion editing site au.
popular argumentative essay writers service for masterspersonal essay on shyness. essay on wormholes writing a research paper cheap letter writer sites for collegepay to write top critical essay on presidential elections.
help on homework online for refutation in an essay, esl literature review ghostwriters service online. journalism as a career essay, pro euthanasia arguments essay.
scholarship essay format mlabest curriculum vitae writers for hire for university - writing essay. best dissertation proposal editing service and ma english thesis proposal sample, professional creative essay editing sites for university.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:02 AM

You see folks, this is what happens when you relax the rules on spam. You get spam bots. I told the other staff this was a bad idea but nobody listened to me. Do you see what you've done, you fools? You've invited a plague of mild inconvenience right to our doorsteps!

297.png

• ShadowTiger, Neppy, Nathaniel and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users