Quest Forums Merger

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Due to to the new site including the quest project functionality and quest help topics, the staff have decided to merge Quest Players' Discussion and Help and Quest Project Discussion. Basically, the topics from Quest Project Discussion will be moved over to Quest Players' Discussion and Help, and that forum will be renamed to Custom Quest Discussion.

This move will happen around Sunday, May 12th. Unfortunately the first week or so after this move, it may be a bit confusing, but since the site operated on just one forum for roughly 8 years, it'll probably be okay. icon_razz.gif

#2 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

About time, with the new features of the main site and with current forums we have. Seemed pretty redundant but at least it should be better now.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well, it's redundant for the most part. The intent here is to get help threads to move into the help sections of the quest database on the main site (we haven't seen much usage of this so far), as well as project discussions to mostly move to the quest project section of the main site (where we have seen much more success so far). However, it doesn't account for quests that don't exist in our database. They are a minority, but they are out there. For example: You can find plenty of quests that are downloadable at AGN, but not here, and we wouldn't want to stop people from asking about them.

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

With Quest Projects implemented, QPD is obsolete. Good thing we no longer have issues like these anymore.

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

The intent here is to get help threads to move into the help sections of the quest database on the main site (we haven't seen much usage of this so far), as well as project discussions to mostly move to the quest project section of the main site (where we have seen much more success so far).

So about those help sections...How exactly does one know that a quest is being discussed? Most of the people in Quest Players' Discussion and Help don't actually play quests unless they see that their friends are playing them. What we currently have going down there is less "Help, I'm stuck" threads and more "Here's a quest, let's all play it together and help each other" threads. Maybe I'm just dumb, but this new help section thing doesn't appear to give any sort of indication when a help topic is created or posted in, which makes the new system not very helpful. If PureZC had a bigger community it might work, but we have very few people who actually play quests and they usually tackle quests one or two at a time. So it's really no wonder nobody uses it.

Edited by Moosh, 02 May 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

So about those help sections...How exactly does one know that a quest is being discussed? Most of the people in Quest Players' Discussion and Help don't actually play quests unless they see that their friends are playing them. What we currently have going down there is less "Help, I'm stuck" threads and more "Here's a quest, let's all play it together and help each other" threads. Maybe I'm just dumb, but this new help section thing doesn't appear to give any sort of indication when a help topic is created or posted in, which makes the new system not very helpful. If PureZC had a bigger community it might work, but we have very few people who actually play quests and they usually tackle quests one or two at a time. So it's really no wonder nobody uses it.

I'm hoping to address this issue in the update coming out this weekend.

Basically, on the home page, under the featured quests, newest quests, and contest winners, there will be a list of recent help topics (and quest project updates) with links to pages where people can see full list of topics for both. I'm also planning on adding on the list of quest page a counter for the number of unresponded help topics for each quest. While I'm not sure if this will get onto the update this weekend, I'm also hoping to include a popular quests section which will link to quests that people are actively discussing both in the comments section of a quest and the quest help sections. You can think of these as "trending" quests, so to speak.

If you can think of any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. But I really feel that the overall system of the new site is better. For example, when quest help pages are populated, people will be able to quickly find topics that pertain to their issue. Say you're having an issue with dungeon 2 of a quest, and there's a topic along the lines of "Stuck on X section of dungeon 2". This allows you to easily find the solution without having to search around a bunch. It's just... people have to get out of the mindset of staying on the forums 24/7, and we have to make ways to make that adjustment as friendly and intuitive as possible. :)

#7 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Is it at all possible to get those updates in "View new content"? Because that's where I go for my PureZC 'news', and I don't think I'm the only one.

#8 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm going to do my best, but wrapping into IPB isn't always easy. :( I'll see what I can do, though!

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

So... this is almost a month late, but the merger has finally happened, so don't be alarmed if you think there's a forum missing on the index page. :heh:

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

OH NO WHERE'D IT GO

• Hergiswi, Shane and Lightwulf like this

#11 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

So... this is almost a month late, but the merger has finally happened, so don't be alarmed if you think there's a forum missing on the index page. :heh:

Too Late... :dead:

#12 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Isn't this the way it was a long time ago? There was one forum called quest project discussion or something like that, and the mods split it into two in order to keep project discussion threads and quest help threads separate? Either way this is a good thing, putting the two sections together. :)

#13 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I think it was originally split so that you could ask for help without cluttering up project discussions, and then re-merged because we now have built-in help threads on the new quest DB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users