Photo

Please be courteous with embedded YouTube videos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

There have been a few complaints, even from within the staff team, regarding the abundance of YouTube videos users tend to embed in their posts. Mainly, the sheer number of embedded videos cause their browser windows to lag as long as the topic's open, or the page won't load or respond until all the videos have loaded. This doesn't mean we're going to remove the YouTube embed tag, but we would like to ask you to be more courteous about your usage of the tags. Try not to crowd your posts with them; you don't need ten embedded videos to show off a project, when a link to the video would do just as well. You also don't need to quote a post with embedded videos if the post is just above yours, or even only a couple posts above yours. All this does is cause more stress on browsers when they attempt to open the page. Some of us have actually removed embedded videos from quotes, especially when the quote is just above or near the post that quoted them. We only ask this of you to help ensure a more friendly browsing experience for the majority of our users. Thank you for taking the time to read this. icon_smile.gif

#2 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

I always make sure just to post links and not to quote big or laggy / animated posts. I check out MMA forums at times and some threads have a ton of animated gfs on the screen that take forever to load the page. I think at some point they either installed a limit or have mods on it because it used to be much worse on those forums.

Edit: Actually I've embedded twice since being on this site, I'm sorry for lieing. icon_frown.gif lol

Edited by Franky, 21 February 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#3 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

About time... Even though I've never complained about it, I always hated when there is like 5 or more videos on one topic page...
It makes my browser crash I guess Chrome on Dial up just can't handle it. icon_neutral.gif

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

You might also consider putting YouTube videos inside spoiler tags.

Spoiler

#5 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Feb 21 2013, 09:29 AM) View Post

You might also consider putting YouTube videos inside spoiler tags.

Spoiler

That's a pretty good idea. I know on other forums they are used for very large posts that would make the page annoyingly long.

#6 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

I just went through my LP topic and placed all the videos into spoiler posts, and I will continue to do this as long as this is acceptable to everyone. Sorry for any problems caused!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users