The Good News - And The Bad News

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:41 AM

Okay, I know it's been a long while since the last time I posted anything to update everyone on my progress, but I'm here now to give you guys some news, not all good, but not all bad.

The Bad News:

Recently, my computer suffered a system failure, the kind that is gradual, but sure. I was able to save the majority of the files I needed, and also managed to get the folders they were in on a USB drive before I had to reformat and fix everything. I had to do this through several restarts, including from safe mode.

After everything was said and done, however, I discovered that not all of my ZQuest files had been saved - one of the lost files was Secret Of The Triforce.

Despite this loss, I was able to redownload the DEMO I'd put out previously, and while I did forget the password for it, I was able to PM ZoriaRPG to unlock it for me. As such, I'll be adding a Special Thanks credit for this amazing "Hail Mary" style save.

While this means I do have the file yet again, it means I've still lost about a year of work.

The Good News:

The good news is, even though I wasn't updating these threads regularly, I was taking screenshots of my progress, one of which was from a number of weeks before the catastrophe.

Posted Image

As you can see, this version is considerably different from the DEMO. A lot of new scripts that I'd added have to be added again. Some of my enemies were ghosted, and I had to modify those scripts to work together (simple edit, that will take me like 5 minutes). The houses will have to be redone, and probably the most time-consuming of them all: I have to re-add all of the tiles I'd imported this past year.

I won't lie, this is a lot of work, and knowing how much I've lost is definitely affecting my outlook on the workload.
But, I've poured my heart and soul into this project, and I have no intention of allowing it to simply die off, certainly not in this manner.

The vast majority of the work is cosmetic, and since I now have a guide showing my final progress for the overworld, as it was before the crash, that will speed up the work, ten-fold. The one thing that will slow me down, is adding original tiles from ALTTP, that I had started to add previous to the crash. This is because I have to recolor each individual tile to the Pure Tileset's [amazing] color palette. In some cases, this means redrawing parts of the tile/sprite.

I could probably have it back to where it was in about six months or so, best-case scenario. Having said that, my current plan is to change some of the fundamental structure of the quest, including some tiles and such, in order to bring a more ALTTP-style feel to it.
This would probably include:
  • New Trees
  • Updated NPC's
  • New starting point with cutscenes
  • New Chest Dynamics (Open with A, with sound fx - been wanting to add that for some time)
  • Roc's Feather Lvl. 2 (Double Jump)
  • Probably a new master sword sprite, I didn't much care for the one included with Pure.
Furthermore, in light of recent events with my project, I've decided to start regularly updating this quest project to include the .qst file as I make progress with it, so that this kind of loss doesn't happen again - at least, not on this level.

This opens up another possibility as well:
I know a number of you have been curious, or were in the past, about how the map translates over into ZQuest's screen limitations, so updating the file(s) here would give you a glimpse into that process. I can say, however, not all screens work well with it - there is a lot of compromise in the process, some of which does affect the game negatively, but that's something I hope to change, possibly with your help.

In any case, I know this has been long-winded, but I wanted to fully update you all on the status of this project. I hope you all will stick with me in this time of uncertainty, as I'm sure you've done in the past.
http://tinypic.com/m/k98f2s/2
  • judasrising, Twilight Knight and CimFighter like this

#2 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:41 PM

You should install Dropbox on your computer and put your working quests in there. That way they're backed up online every time you save (as long as you're connected to the internet) and easy to restore in the event of a system failure or clean OS install. Less hassle and more secure than manual backups.

Anyway, good luck sorting everything out!

• judasrising, Twilight Knight and AdmiralJaden like this

#3 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:25 AM

You should install Dropbox on your computer and put your working quests in there. That way they're backed up online every time you save (as long as you're connected to the internet) and easy to restore in the event of a system failure or clean OS install. Less hassle and more secure than manual backups.

Anyway, good luck sorting everything out!

Yeah, I've resorted to using external hdd for it. It's highly unlikely anything else will happen to it.

• judasrising likes this

#4 bruh bruh

bruh bruh

• Members

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:29 PM

Sorry to hear that, that map looks great though. Hopefully rebuilding what you lost goes smoothly!
  • AdmiralJaden likes this

#5 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:28 PM

Sorry to hear that, that map looks great though. Hopefully rebuilding what you lost goes smoothly!

It's been going far better than I could have hoped, already. :)

I've added the alttp light world tree so far, and have also re-added the alttp buildings to the tileset, and have started the process of redoing the map.

Things are definitely looking positive at the moment.

• Anthus, judasrising and bruh bruh like this

#6 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:24 AM

I like Lttp inspired things.
Good luck with the quest.
  • AdmiralJaden likes this

#7 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:35 PM

I like Lttp inspired things.
Good luck with the quest.

Thanks. :)

When I finally finish it, I'll likely also submit the altered tileset so others have the new tiles as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users