Photo

Why do link's zelda 1 walking animations use only one frame?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

Why do link's zelda 1 walking animations use only one frame instead of two?

I found this out because I was trying to use link's shielded up walking tiles but it seems that his sprite is flipped instead

is there a quest rule to achieve a GB style animation?

• Anthus likes this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

You can change Link's animation style under Quest-> Graphics-> Sprites-> Link.

Original animation flips one tile for Link's up/ down walking, and uses two separate tiles for his left/ right. In the original game, you have the small shield from the start, but IIRC in the game, it is still drawn over Link, and not part of his down walking sprite, and his actual sprite under it is just flipped. But in ZC, you can pick the two frames in the original animation for up/ down, and the two frames for the left/ right. People will use this to make edits to Link's graphics to make it so he is, say for example, always carrying his shield in his right hand. There are other settings though, but I'm not as clear on how they work.

BS Animation, and Z3 animation can add more frames to his animations. BS is kind of weird. It's five total frames, but it only uses three, and repeats two of them, or something weird like that. Z3 animation uses eight frames for each direction, plus a dedicated "standing still" sprite whereas the other styles just 'idle' on whatever frame you stopped on.

After looking on the wiki though, there isn't anything about how many frames each style has. If you are unsure though, what you can do is test the animations by making numbered tiles, 1-9, or something, and setting them to one of Link's walking directions in the editor, and look at the numbers. This will tell you what tiles are being used for the particular animation style, and action, and what order they are being used in. It's kind of archaic, but I had to do that when I ripped AlttP Link into ZC. :P

#3 Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:41 PM

what weird is that the Z3 attack animation doesn't seem to sync up right

Edit: actually the only things that sync up with the z3 tiles in z3 mode is walking, jumping, holding, and casting 

Edited by Shadowblitz16, 27 October 2016 - 10:49 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:01 PM

what weird is that the Z3 attack animation doesn't seem to sync up right

Edit: actually the only things that sync up with the z3 tiles in z3 mode is walking, jumping, holding, and casting

I noticed that too when I was ripping AlttP Link. His attack sprites only use 3 frames. I'm thinking of making a detailed 'report' on the animation styles, and amending the wiki.

There is no clear documentation on it outside of a few scattered forum threads lost to the ravages of time.

#5 Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

whats weird is that mine is acting like it uses around 5 or more frames

it animates wrong in the link sprite editor

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:15 PM

I'm starting to think it might have been broken somehow, and no one has really noticed yet? I dunno. :shrug:

#7 Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:48 PM

I got it working kinda it seems that it just displays wrong in the editor but its just fine in the game

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users