Fire torch candle puzzle

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hi, I'm trying to set up a puzzle where the player lights four separate torches in a room, with each torch having a nine second time limit before burning out again. Once all the torches are lit at the same time, a chest is supposed to appear. Is it possible to set this up with layering and combo cycling, or would I need a script?

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

You'll need a script, otherwise the time limit won't work properly.

#3 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

I am not too sure about the timing, but you can do this with cycling. Make the torches "self and secret tiles" and the burning torches (burning secret combo) cycling (you have to set up enough tiles of the burning torch like 20 tiles to make the animation 20 frames before it cycles back to the not burning torch. Flag the not burning torch inherent with flag 4 (so you can light the torch again after it cycles back to it) and on screen with flag 16 (so if you reenter the torches stay lit). Now also flag the burning torch with flag 16, set the "hit all triggers" flags in the screen data and make secret combo 16 a permanent burning torch.

[Edit] hmm, sry, after reading it again I realized that "self only" is also a flag, there might be an idea to do this, but don't know...

[Edit2] hmm, I actually have not the nerve to set this up, but tested around and it should work.

Combo 1. Torch. Flag 95. Inherent Flag 16. Cycles instantly to Combo 2.
Combo 2. Torch. Inherent Flag 4.
Burn secret Combo. Lit Torch. Flag 95. Inherent Flag 16. Cycles after 9s to Combo 2.
Secret Combo 1 (Flag 16). Lit Torch.
This should do it.

Edited by Naru, 13 April 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

Cycling combos of the same ID run on the same timer. So if you lit one, then another when the first one had three seconds left, they would both only have three seconds. You could maybe get around this by creating a new combo for each torch, but I'm not sure that would work. Combo cycling operates by arcane rules most of the time, so it's not a safe bet.
  • Evan20000 and Naru like this

#5 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

Maybe have a line of 20 torch combos that last a second each? Or something like that.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

To get the right timing on combos sometimes you have to add in 1 frame combos in the middle of the cycle so that the next one starts at the beginning. Timing does start when you change from one to another, but there seem to be exceptions, like it won't restart when the screen is entered and it won't restart when cycled to from the secret combo flag. I know one time I had to make a secret combo change to a 1 frame combo to the timed combo I wanted, otherwise the timed combo wouldn't start over at the beginning of the animation. Sometimes it just takes some thorough testing.

#7 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

I feel like using a script will take a lot of the pain out of making the puzzle, so I'm probably going to post a script request in the appropriate place. (Although I may attempt the old-fashioned way before posting the request)

Edited by Phosphor, 13 April 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

OK, tested it out with replacing the animation (20s) with 8 animated combos that cycle to each other (the 1st cycles to the 2nd and so on with a 1/2s animation each) and it worked out just fine. Tested it out with the classic tileset and the water tiles.

#9 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

OK, tested it out with replacing the animation (20s) with 8 animated combos that cycle to each other (the 1st cycles to the 2nd and so on with a 1/2s animation each) and it worked out just fine. Tested it out with the classic tileset and the water tiles.

Could I perhaps get the .qst file so that I can examine exactly what you did? I feel like I'd absorb what you're saying better if I dissected the system in ZQ. When I first tried what you described, the torches would light independently, but the secret would trigger only after the first torch was lit.

#10 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

Would it be OK, if I upload it tomorrow with actual torches? I tested it in my test-quest and that is a gigantic mess since it includes also many things that doesn't work so it mostly will confuse you more than it does help.

Also how do I upload a quest :) I know there are things like mediafire, but never uploaded anything there.

#11 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

Tomorrow's fine! :) 

Also, for uploading, I think any file hosting site will do. Mediafire, mega, that sort of thing. Or you can just add me as a contact on Skype and send it to me there. I think that'd also work. (My Skype account name is in my PZC bio)

• Naru likes this

#12 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:21 AM

I do not have skype and it seems you have to sign in to upload things on mediafire. Do you know a safe side to upload stuff without logging in? I also could upload it as a "fake demo" at my project, but I think that would be against the rules.

Also can I use as password whatever I want? Since I used Firebird I don't want to upload the tileset unpassworded outside pure, but I never used passwords so far.

#13 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

I can't think of any file hosting sites that allow for sharing without registering an account. As for the password, I'm not sure why you'd need one for demonstrating the torch setup.

#14 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

Just me beeing silly. If staff is OK with it, it will be uploaded as example 1 demo on my project side http://www.purezc.ne...projects&id=318

#15 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:52 AM

For future reference, here is a site! http://tempsend.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fire, torch, candle, puzzle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users