Various questions

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

Ok, as the title suggests, i've got various questions to ask about ZQuest version 2.10, if you know the answer for any, put its number before your answer

1# what does pallets 12, 13, and 14 stand for? i cant choose them and they are blank.

2#what does the second sprites pallets stands for? it has one c-set only, and a bunch of empty ones

3#How can blocks be pushed into solid objects? (i saw this on jish's MMDWR playthrough)

thats it for now, i will update this once a question comes into my mind.

#2 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

I can answer question 3. Make sure the quest rule, "Can't Push Blocks Onto Unwalkable Combos" is turned off. In 2.5, it's under the "Combos" section of quest rules.

#3 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

#1: Are we talking about regular CSets, like when you're editing screens and stuff? If it is, you only have access to CSets from 0-11; the others can't be used as far as I know.

#2: Are we talking the extra sprite palettes? These are used to swap with CSet 9 for bosses when on the screen. In 2.10, you don't need to worry about it; just leave them as is or edit the existing ones; adding more will not do anything.

Hopefully I understood your questions correctly; I'm kind of bad for that. D:

#4 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

tnaks a lot guys, but still why would there be extra c-sets if you cant use them?

#5 LadyOfHearts

LadyOfHearts

Initiate

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

They're special colors for the GUI and some other stuff...you can't use them because they don't actually exist; they are but datas that the program use to create the colors he needs. Well, that's what I think. Maybe it's something else, but I saw the same thing done before.

#6 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Another question

4# how to make the 80 and 81 screens to another c-set?

#7 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

#4: I'm guessing that these screens are hardcoded to use pallet #0A for caves and 3-way warp rooms while they are hardcoded to use pallet #0B for itemcellars and passageways.

#8 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

thats weird, again, i saw the screens 80 and 81 (on the second d map) being colored in Bikdip's adventure 2, while in my quest they are black and white.

#9 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

here's a new one

5#is it possible to put SFX in a MIDI slot in 2.10? and if yes, which site can a find good ones?

#10 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

I don't really understand the question, but this site has a massive collection of Zelda SFX in .wav format.

#11 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

You can't replace the SFX in 2.10. For custom sound effects, you need to find MIDI versions (look in VGMusic.com), or better yet upgrade to 2.50. Otherwise, it can't be done.

#12 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

well, thats what i'm asking, is there a site with SFX in MIDI format?

#13 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

That's what I'm telling. VGMUSIC.COM has a small selection of SFX in MIDI form, but you won't ever find more than just jingles and fanfares as MIDIs.

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

Question #1:
Do you mean CSETS 12, 13, and 14? It's important to get the terminology right to avoid confusion. You see, in ZQuest, we have palettes, and each palette is comprised of a series of CSets. Each CSet is a row of 16 colors.

If you are looking at CSets 12, 13, and 14 in the Main Palette... Yeah, I think those are basically unusable. One of them MIGHT be used for fading into/out of darkness (as with the candle item), but if your tileset has palette cycling enabled, that feature will be disabled. That's why I'm not too familiar with it. Most tilesets don't put much thought into darkness palette fading, because ZC handles it pretty well on its own, even when you do absolutely nothing.

Long story short:
CSets 12-14 in the Main Palette don't have any specific purpose that is worth worrying about. Now, CSets 10 and 11 CAN be used for items and a few other purposes... but they aren't assigned to anything by default (unless the maker of your tileset chose to use them).

Question #2:
The Extra Sprite Palettes are MOSTLY used for bosses. Extra Sprite Palette 1 had room for most of them, but I think one or two spilled over into E.S.P. 2.
If you want to know what palettes/CSets enemies use by default, try opening up one of my tilesets and looking at the "Tiles" dialog (by clicking "Quest" -> "Graphics" -> "Tiles"). Here...

New BS tileset:
http://www.purezc.co...=tilesets&id=27
Dance of Remembrance tileset:
http://www.purezc.co...=tilesets&id=69

In both New BS and DoR, I used the column to the right of the enemy tiles as a place to list information about each enemy, including what CSet and palette each one uses. If you see something like "E.S.P. 12," it stands for "Extra Sprite Palette, CSet 12."

It's extremely useful, if I may say so myself. I mean, even though I'm the one who indexed that information, I still use it myself all the time. icon_razz.gif

Question #3:
The other members pretty much answered this one. Simply look in the Quest Rules for that checkbox.

Also, be sure to make use of the "No Push Blocks" screen flag when you need to keep push blocks off of certain combos. We shouldn't be able to push blocks onto walls, now should we?...

Question #4:
It's been awhile since I've dealt with this, but yes, I think screens 80 and 81 are hard-coded to use specific Level Palettes. Which one it uses depends on what type of DMap the player is on at the time. If you have further trouble figuring it out, give us DMap information for that area and we'll tell you what palette will be assigned to screens 80 and 81.

Question #5:
QUOTE(Ica44 @ Mar 31 2011, 03:38 PM) View Post
well, thats what i'm asking, is there a site with SFX in MIDI format?

MIDI files cannot contain recorded sounds. Basically, they can only contain "sheet music" that plays various instruments. It's possible to use the pre-packaged MIDI sounds for some very simple instruments, but I would not recommend it. MIDI is meant for music, and using it otherwise is inconvenient and not very effective.

Might I suggest that in version 2.5, there is probably an easier way to accomplish what you are trying? ...However, before I say that with certainty, I need to ask: what ARE you trying to do? Let us know and we'll see if we can figure out whether it's possible.

I hope this was helpful. icon_smile.gif

#15 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

6# every time i make a block puzzle, once i push the first block into the correct place, the flag is acctivated. How do i make that stop. and if i cant, how do i make block puzzles?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users