Photo

Screenshot of the Week 379

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 379 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Cereal Guy

Cereal Guy

Senior

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

I Like the Screenshot of The Satellite icon_superevil.gif

#17 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

I voted for The Satellite. Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm tired of looking at DoR/MC and GB, but he's also pretty good at using the set properly, so he earned my vote for that mostly. He captured the feel of ALttP.

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

9-10-9 right now... Whoah, Ventus really caught up. I voted for him, but thought he was too far behind to be a contender once I saw the vote count. Been awhile since I've seen a race this close in SotW. O_o

#19 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Man your right O_O, This is a close race... this is starting to get interesting icon_smile.gif

#20 -DuCkTApE-

-DuCkTApE-

The "Mask" will take over...

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

WOW! This is close! To close....... Best luck to both of you! icon_thumbsup.gif

#21 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yeah I know icon_biggrin.gif, This is the first time I've ever been in a crazy tie like this. And good luck to the both of you (To TS, and -DuCkTApE-)

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Maybe I should bribe Culex for a vote.

>_>

<_<

*runs*

Anyways, on the other two entries:

Ventus - It's a perfect gameplay shot, even if it's not so fancy. I'd just be careful how close together you put objects that restrict movement; that's always a peeve of mine. Though I'm not sure if those odd rock tiles (like in the middle of the screen next to the Octorok), are walkable or not; if those are, then those aren't a big deal. Otherwise, looks sharp. icon_thumbsup.gif

-DuCkTApE- - I'm not a fan of the perspective of the mountain next to the ice. It just seems off and throws off the perspective entirely. Otherwise, nothing's really wrong with it. icon_shrug.gif

Now to respond to other criticism:
QUOTE(Cukeman @ Aug 27 2012, 06:00 AM) View Post
TS, I have a suggestion, remove the northern-most fencepost surrounding the house. That way the house will look taller than the fence. It's affecting the perspective so that the roof of the house has the appearance of height in the front, but not in the back. So yeah, I'd change it unless these are like hobbit houses that are partly underground.
I was actually trying to imply there's a small yard there. I could probably change it but I'm not seeing the issue the same way you are, obviously.
QUOTE(Ventus @ Aug 27 2012, 11:19 AM) View Post
TS:
My vote went here! Its LTTP graphics man.. I'm a sucker for these graphics >_<
If you add some sprite's to it. It'll be fantastic! Great job icon_smile.gif
Totally would have added sprites if I had more time. But thanks! icon_smile.gif
QUOTE(aaa2 @ Aug 27 2012, 04:00 PM) View Post
TheSatelite: Ughh i hate A Link to the Past.... 0/10(I am unable to rate it in a non-subjective way, sorry!)
Oh no, not Satelite, my Spanish cousin!!!

I think you might need to be committed to an insanity ward for your first statement. Stat. Though on a serious note, aren't these contests all mostly subjective anyway? And if you really can't rate or critique a screenshot just because you don't like the tileset, then why rate at all? icon_neutral.gif
QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Aug 27 2012, 07:01 PM) View Post
I voted for The Satellite. Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm tired of looking at DoR/MC and GB, but he's also pretty good at using the set properly, so he earned my vote for that mostly. He captured the feel of ALttP.
Thanks for the words. I do strive hard to make sure it looks like the game the graphics came from; I even pulled up the game a few times while I was working to make sure "Did I get this right? What did this game use to do in areas where I'm not certain what I want to do?" It's actually really fun for me to try to build stuff in the set, so I wonder why I never stuck with it and tried to do the fancier stuff.

#23 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ventus - B+
Looks pretty good. No complaints. Good detail for a very open screen. The least flawed of the three, so it gets my vote. I have seen plenty of more interesting screens, but I think you satisfied all your goals here, and you seem to be getting better at screen design.

-DuCkTApE- - B-
Most of it is decent. As was already mentioned, the left side of the cliff doesn't look right visually, as it can easily been seen as not a ledge, but rather an ice border, and thus a misuse of tile placement. It does stand out, unfortunately.

The Satellite - C
Sorry, but I don't find it all that interesting. I don't feel like roads should be cut in half longways between screens (the impression I get in the upper right), and the left fence along the right building seems to lack a sense of purpose. I also notice two different road types in the screen. I'm not sure if there was a specific point to that other than to have two different types of road. I feel that the screen was simply created with just one motivation: To get it done.

#24 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Aug 27 2012, 10:53 PM) View Post
The Satellite - C
Sorry, but I don't find it all that interesting. I don't feel like roads should be cut in half longways between screens (the impression I get in the upper right), and the left fence along the right building seems to lack a sense of purpose. I also notice two different road types in the screen. I'm not sure if there was a specific point to that other than to have two different types of road. I feel that the screen was simply created with just one motivation: To get it done.
The road actually is split in half, which I guess you may have a point, but it's not something I think needs to be changed; I'm trying to conserve as much space as I can on each screen for housing and what have you. As far as the two types of road, Kakariko Village in ALttP actually did that, so I'm just following suit. icon_razz.gif

#25 Skullkid

Skullkid

Initiate

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

I voted for Ventus' screenshot. The Satellite's was nice as well, but I very much like the art in Ventus', and the lush forest setting felt well realized.

Might someone tell me what tileset that is? (Noob-galore, I know icon_redface.gif ) I'd like to try using it in a quest sometime.

#26 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Skullkid @ Aug 28 2012, 08:50 PM) View Post

I voted for Ventus' screenshot. The Satellite's was nice as well, but I very much like the art in Ventus', and the lush forest setting felt well realized.

Might someone tell me what tileset that is? (Noob-galore, I know icon_redface.gif ) I'd like to try using it in a quest sometime.

Thanks for the vote!! <3

And the tileset I'm using can be found here http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=55968
You'll have to do some work though if you want to use it to make a quest icon_wink.gif

#27 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Aug 27 2012, 06:50 PM) View Post

Oh no, not Satelite, my Spanish cousin!!!

I think you might need to be committed to an insanity ward for your first statement. Stat. Though on a serious note, aren't these contests all mostly subjective anyway? And if you really can't rate or critique a screenshot just because you don't like the tileset, then why rate at all?

Ah i mostly rate things to make sure that things i dislike do not happen. And i do not like ALttP and Zelda 1 so by my ratings i try to assure that sets that reflect their graphics do not get used because i demotivate people using them.

#28 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Except all that does is inspire me to make quests with those tilesets. If you don't like them, fine-- you don't have to use them. But you're not going to "demotivate" people from using a tileset if they legitimately enjoy using it. It doesn't work that way.

#29 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Aug 29 2012, 10:47 AM) View Post

Ah i mostly rate things to make sure that things i dislike do not happen. And i do not like ALttP and Zelda 1 so by my ratings i try to assure that sets that reflect their graphics do not get used because i demotivate people using them.

Reverse psychology buddy. The more you try to steer theme away, the more they want to do it. That aside though, givig screenshots negative ratings, even if they have good design, just because you don't like the tileset seems a bit... Immature, at best.

#30 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Aug 29 2012, 01:47 PM) View Post
Oh yeah, sure. "I don't like how it looks, so don't use that." That's rude and selfish, honestly. There are many graphics I think are ugly, like square ALttP mountains or these mountains, among other popular design decisions, but I don't tell people to stop using them. It's like Scootaloo said; people may actually enjoy using them and think they look good. I think ALttP looks good and I enjoy using it; DoR mountains, on the other hand, give me headaches. And not everyone agrees with you anyway; many people (at least ten) on this site like how the set looks, or else they wouldn't have voted for it.

So yeah, if you want to "demotivate" people from having fun, then go ahead and be a killjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users