[2.53] Compiler crashes on errors in Pass 2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:59 PM

Basically what the title says. When compiling, Pass 2 is where several script errors are caught. In a large script file, if enough script errors occur in this pass during repeated compilations, the compiler will crash. Script errors in other passes do not seem to cause this. I've noticed this mainly in Yuurand, where 2 consecutive errors in pass 2 nearly always leads to a compiler crash. In the past, I recall that cancelling and then recompiling could lead to crashes, as memory wasn't being cleared on cancel, and this was most noticeable in large script files due to the larger memory requirements. While I don't know how the compiler works behind the scenes, I would suspect a similar issue is at play here.

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:22 AM

Basically what the title says. When compiling, Pass 2 is where several script errors are caught. In a large script file, if enough script errors occur in this pass during repeated compilations, the compiler will crash. Script errors in other passes do not seem to cause this. I've noticed this mainly in Yuurand, where 2 consecutive errors in pass 2 nearly always leads to a compiler crash. In the past, I recall that cancelling and then recompiling could lead to crashes, as memory wasn't being cleared on cancel, and this was most noticeable in large script files due to the larger memory requirements. While I don't know how the compiler works behind the scenes, I would suspect a similar issue is at play here.

2.53.0 or 2.53.1? 

If the latter, try disabling header guard which is now disabled by default as it has bugs that I do not know how to resolve w/o a large refactor. 

Also, this could simply be an out of memory issue,  running the compiler again and again, which has always been an issue with 2.50.x. If that is the case, then I will need to run a mem check before allowing the compiler to run, as I did in 2.55. Your scripts are huge, so it is easily leaking on every pass. 

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

Sorry for the late response. This is on 2.53.1. I've tried disabled header guard and it still occurs, leading me to believe it's a running out of memory issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users