25 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

Here's my screen:
IPB Image

It needs some work, but I'm not sure what to do to fix it. What would you guys suggest?

#2 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(XxGamasterxX @ May 6 2010, 05:26 PM) View Post

Here's my screen:
IPB Image

It needs some work, but I'm not sure what to do to fix it. What would you guys suggest?

i don't know either, it looks pretty good for me.
maybe a little more detail to the floor and grass. other then that, its a cool looking screen...for pure

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

All I could say is watch out for that tree in the middle of the left edge of the screen. Make sure there's something on the adjacent screen that prevents you from walking into that tree, or move the tree to the left one space so that it's half on that screen and half on the other, to prevent walking into it.

Other than that, I think it's a pretty good shot. o.o

#4 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Looks pretty good to me. Try changing up some of the trees to red and adding another tree in the top right and maybe a few more up top.

#5 RedDeathX7

RedDeathX7

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Nope. Nothing wrong with the screen at all. Its perfect.

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

That's a very solid start. I'm not too keen on how open the right side is with the mountain; maybe a tree or so up there would help. But other than that, nice work. icon_smile.gif

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

I think it looks pretty good, actually. If you really feel like changing it, try throwing in a different colored tree, or making the cliff edge on the right bend a little bit.

#8 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

Put something on top, maybe offset to the house, then again on the right side, maybe two things there. You just want to fill in the gaps, but make sure not to flood the screen

Edited by L33TSkillz, 06 May 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#9 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

IPB Image

How's this? I tried adding more trees and stuff on the ground. I actually think it looks pretty good now. Did I overdo it and add too much?

#10 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

No, no. You did good. icon_smile.gif Nice work. I like it. icon_biggrin.gif

#11 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Cool thanks! icon_awesome.gif Does this process of making screens get faster? It seems like it would take a long time to make all the screens in a quest let alone the actual content.

Edited by XxGamasterxX, 06 May 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#12 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

I guess it depends on the person. Myself, I tend to spend a very long time on the first screen. For whatever reason, I find making screens after that easy and I tend to finish them much more quickly. Also, part of it is knowing all the shortcuts and stuff and getting used to using them a lot to make screen building easier and quicker. icon_smile.gif

#13 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Yeah. I wish 2.5 was released so I could use some of the features as shortcuts.

#14 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

I don't nescesarily mean 2.5 specific shortcuts. I'm talking stuff like Ctrl+click to fill in an area with one tile, or using 2x1 blocks and that kind of thing. Select combo's also pretty useful for not having to sort through millions of pages of combos to find a ground combo. icon_razz.gif They may seem small and obvious, but they really do help. icon_smile.gif

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

I'm probably going to trigger a lot of people yelling at me by saying this, but I like having a screen with some NPCs and other details on it occasionally. It makes the overworld feel less dead having little things to pick up o now and then. I know it goes completely against the official screen design tutorial (the section talking about the campfire being there for no reason), but I think pointless objects that stand out improve screens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users