tileset

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#61 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Guys, this tileset was made for the general public, not a specific person or quest. Nothing about this set is set in stone, so if you need to change the colors of CSet 6 and Link's tiles, so his tunic turns all one color, or so you have some extra wiggle-room with other CSets, feel free! Just as if you want to add tiles, or strip some tiles out that you'd never use in a quest, or even alter them for your own specific use, you're free to do so.

On the flip side, this tileset was made for general use, and in a typical Zelda game, Link's tunic changes color at some point. While I am the one that made the Link tiles, and altered the original palette to allow for the second Tunic color (it was originally a couple shades of red, if I recall correctly), I personally feel that the creative options available with two different colors for Link's tunic outweighs the usefulness of having more colors per that specific CSet. Especially when 8-bit mode gives you ALL the available colors, and is still subject to the effects of CSet 6 changing colors based on rings.

That said, if most feel that CSet 6 would better benefit from having a couple additional colors, either red, blue, yellow, or what-have-you, it would be a simple fix to override the current Link tiles with versions that have only one green scale.

What I was talking about is the second gradient of green within cset 6. It doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose, does this have anything to do with the tunic tiles somehow?

It's been a while since I knew all this stuff by memory, but as far as I can see the second row of green colors are only being used by some of the swimming sprites, and even there it sees limited use, and making alternative tiles without using those few shouldn't be a big job. If we could change those, I wouldn't mind altering the swimming tiles unless you'd want to do that yourself.

I've changed those colors to yellow in this shot:

yellowz.png

So yeah, unless I'm missing something obvious, we've got three colors here that could be used differently, right? Like I was saying earlier, my major issue with these colors is that they limit what I can do with the Zelda sprites, I've had a few goes at it, but I feel like I need at least one red color that'd go for orange if one wanted to use it with yellow for gold or something.

#62 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

My understanding is that the one set of green is for the tunic, the other for the hat.  Because of this, when Link acquires the red ring, the tunic turns orange, the hat red.  So, they do serve a purpose, merely a purposely not immediately evident.

#63 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

My understanding is that the one set of green is for the tunic, the other for the hat.  Because of this, when Link acquires the red ring, the tunic turns orange, the hat red.  So, they do serve a purpose, merely a purposely not immediately evident.

Ohhh, right, so the hat stays green? How does that work? In the normal sprite, Link's hat uses the same colors as the tunic as far as I can see.

#64 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Ohhh, right, so the hat stays green? How does that work? In the normal sprite, Link's hat uses the same colors as the tunic as far as I can see.

The hat turns red, whereas the tunic turns orange; neither stays green.  This is only possible because of the two sets of green in CSet 6, the one being used for the hat, the other for the tunic.

#65 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

The hat turns red, whereas the tunic turns orange; neither stays green.  This is only possible because of the two sets of green in CSet 6, the one being used for the hat, the other for the tunic.

Ohhh, now I actually understand it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Follow up: would it then be possible to make an 8-bit version of the Zelda sprite? Would ZC draw it as 8-bit as long as it's set in the tile pages?

#66 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:58 AM

Okay, can the next version have some example screens of how to build a dungeon room? Apparently, ZC doesn't like having locked doors on the very edge of a screen, because when you're in the next screen and try to come back, you can't because it's counting the already-open door as though it's still solid. I'm assuming that I'm expected to set things up with layering and the room-edge tiles, but now I feel stupid because I can't figure out how to layer the room-edge tiles so they'd appear above Link, but below the tops of the door frames.

Also, all of the locked doors look like they're not set up properly. They're all set as solid (none) type combos instead of Lock Blocks so that they can be placed freely. The Door sets don't seem like they're set up, so I don't think that I'm expected to use those.

I'm sorry if I sound short-tempered. Really, I am. I just am feeling very frustrated at the moment as I write this. I know that putting all of this together was a monumental amount of work for everybody involved, and it's very much appreciated. I understand that the tileset isn't quite finished yet. I just thought that what was already there was going to be functional. The Treasure Chest combos don't have the inherent flag that allows them to work when they're placed, the locked doors aren't set up to open correctly. I'm just now realizing that I spent about a week assembling a dungeon, and nothing is going to function correctly, and my not understanding the layering setup is driving me nuts.

#67 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

The locked door issue is actually a problem with Smart Screen Scrolling, I think. Try turning that rule off and see if that fixes things.

#68 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Okay, I'll give it a try.

Like I said in my last post, I'm sorry if I sounded overly upset. I was a bit frustrated on trying to figure out how to assemble working dungeon rooms. Even so, some of the issues I mentioned make little sense. The combos for the large treasure chests and locked doors don't work, and there are no example screens to look off of to see how things should be assembled together. I really like those graphics for outlining room interiors, but I have no real idea how to make them work with multiple connected rooms. I'm certain that I'm doing something wrong, because I've pieced together an entire dungeon but haven't used the upper portions of the layered door frames once, just because the spot where they'd go ends up off-screen.

#69 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

I think it's pretty clear that it's not recommended to build and release a final game in one of the current tileset builds. If you plan on doing that, you are going to have to do some manual labor, that's just the way things has got to be until everything is actually finalized. That said, there's a lot to work with in the set at the moment, and I'd suggest using current builds to create maps and then import them later into the final release once that comes around.

That's the way we're doing it with THP, which will reduce the amount of work that has to be done twice (once for the tileset and once for the THP.qst). The drawback is that we won't be able to play through the game in a chronological manner until we actually have a complete tileset, but I think that's a good compromise. At least now people have access to the graphics and can begin creating their games.

That said, I'm sure the rest of the team doesn't mind criticism, but don't expect it to be fixed in the next release. Things get done when someone decides to do them, but mentioning stuff like this does at least gives the issue some attention. :)

#70 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

I'm currently working on this bridge. It'll have a couple of variations, and you will be able to make it as long or as short as you want, with or without the underpass. I do also plan on creating tiles so that the bridge can also be used over rivers and so on. If anyone has any ideas or requests, now is the time!

firebirdstonebridge.png

Also please excuse the current ugliness of this bulky mess. It's still a work in progress, but I don't mind ideas and pointers here and there.

• Bourkification, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

#71 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

I love it! I think the arch way could be wider though, the arch made to look a bit more cleaner, and given a little texture. But otherwise, I love how it works with the mountains.

#72 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

I love it! I think the arch way could be wider though, the arch made to look a bit more cleaner, and given a little texture. But otherwise, I love how it works with the mountains.

Thanks! I do want to make the arch more of a freeform thing, or possibly have wider and smaller variants of the arches. I agree though, I'm not happy with the style of the arch itself, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'll experiment with a couple of different ways of doing it when I come back home later tonight.

I'm happy with the general layout though, but all in all this bridge is heavily inspired by one of Linkus' old creations, even down to some of the detailing. Why fix something that isn't broken, you know? As for the textures on the bridge, I'm debating on a couple of different ways of doing it. At first, I was trying to make a simple brick-style pattern, but that didn't come out too well. Shane suggested I do something similar to the texture on our castle walls, so I'll try that next I think. Then again, I'll probably end up with a couple of variations, so I'll add those to the tilespages once everything is done. I'll combo one set, but if anyone wants to use any of the variations they'll just need to be comboed.

I don't want to give a timeline as to when you can expect this in a future update - I'm not yet sure how much I want to add to it, and how long that might take, but it shouldn't be too long.

Edit: I made some small alterations to the arch, taking some of your suggestions into mind.

firebirdstonebridge1.png

#73 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

How about some designs around the arch? I think I know which bridge you were inspired by Linkus, but yeah, some wall carvings here and there around the archway won't hurt ;) Looks awesome BTW!

#74 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

You know, I was thinking a similar bridge would make a great addition to Firebird. And days later, you're making such a bridge in mind. :P

#75 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Just to let everyone know, I'm in the process of making more rugged cliff tiles to use in more mountainous areas. they're cake-layered but designed to not look like it. They do need to go through some field testing, or I guess you could say mountain testing...

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder and Jared like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tileset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users