• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ May 23 2012, 11:56 PM) View Post

I think I've finally pinpointed what I don't like here: The colors. The trees and mountains are too dark and the dirt and grass are too light. I also don't like how the second tree type uses dirt colors.

Well I did that specifically to have a patch of dirt sitting atop the tree icon_smile.gif. As for the palette...well, that's more of a user-preference thing, so if you decide to use them, you could always change the colors on them to your liking icon_wink.gif.

#17 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

I tried to fix what wasn't broken with the trees, [sarcasm] which always seems to go well [/sarcasm], and this is what I came up with. Old on the Left, New on the Right.

IPB Image IPB Image

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

IPB Image
Who wants to point out the new things and changes from this shot icon_smile.gif?

#19 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Me! :3

The new GB trees, mountain block thingies, and tall grass. icon_biggrin.gif

#20 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Jun 7 2012, 04:20 PM) View Post

Me! :3

The new GB trees, mountain block thingies, and tall grass. icon_biggrin.gif

You can haz cookie!
IPB Image

How about a small demo-video for a change of pace and some more new stuff in action :3?

#21 SubconsciousEye

SubconsciousEye

• Members

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

You know you're bored when Koh makes a video and posts it.

In all seriousness, the only thing that I am really bothered is the way the mountain graphics look, something just doesn't seem right about it... All the other graphics look fine to me, keep it up and you might beat me at tile-making.

Edited by Fireblast124, 10 June 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#22 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

Wow, Koh. That was amazing! The music choice was beautiful, too. ;D
Was the town music from Mother 3? O.o

Everything is coming out great. Keep going ;D

#23 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Jun 10 2012, 01:48 AM) View Post

Wow, Koh. That was amazing! The music choice was beautiful, too. ;D
Was the town music from Mother 3? O.o

Everything is coming out great. Keep going ;D

Thanks, and no all the music was from WindSlayer 2 =). I'm working on updating the cliff tiles; here's a general idea:

IPB Image
Old on the left, New on the Right. But when do I ever put the new on the left anyway XP?

#24 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I finally got around to coming back to this thread and saw the video. I love all of the graphics you made, but the strange thing is, my absolute favorite part is how you managed to get Link to actually blink. Was that scripted, or something you can do with "vanilla" ZC?

Looking at the new mountain tiles you made, they look pretty good. The only thing is, your picture is too zoomed in. Could you possibly show another in-game screenshot, or even just a large normal-sized chunk of mountain wall for a clearer comparison.

If I had to come up with a complaint about any part of your graphics, it would be that the gray barriers on top of the mountains look a bit odd. I don't know what it is, but they just seem slightly strange-looking compared to everything else.

#25 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(kurt91 @ Jun 12 2012, 03:00 PM) View Post

I finally got around to coming back to this thread and saw the video. I love all of the graphics you made, but the strange thing is, my absolute favorite part is how you managed to get Link to actually blink. Was that scripted, or something you can do with "vanilla" ZC?

Looking at the new mountain tiles you made, they look pretty good. The only thing is, your picture is too zoomed in. Could you possibly show another in-game screenshot, or even just a large normal-sized chunk of mountain wall for a clearer comparison.

If I had to come up with a complaint about any part of your graphics, it would be that the gray barriers on top of the mountains look a bit odd. I don't know what it is, but they just seem slightly strange-looking compared to everything else.

Oh this isn't in Zelda Classic yet; this is my own engine I created in Game Maker icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the feedback, and I've finished all of the new mountain tiles now. Comparison shots! Old on the left, New on the right.

IPB Image IPB Image

#26 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Well, here's what I think.

The picture on the left looks more reminiscent of the Game Boy Zelda games, but the shading and texturing on the right ones look much more appealing to me. I really like the grass edges on the right side much more than the left, as well as the rounded gray barricades. However, the gray barricades on the right have a few issues with cutoff where they meet the grass tiles. One idea to fix this would be to remove the brown on them and put them in the game by using layering.

I also really like the shading used for the trees. They add a very nice layer of depth to the standard Game Boy trees, especially the Link's Awakening ones. (My favorite out of all of them.)

Having seen these, I'm very curious as to how you intend to draw building interiors and dungeons. I really like this tileset you're making, and I really hope you plan to do something with it.

On an unrelated note, I would recommend either raising the Rupee counter up slightly, or moving the "Z" and "X" labels to the upper-right of their respective boxes. Every time I glance up there, I keep misreading it as saying that Link has 0002 Rupees. The "Z" keeps blending in with the Rupee counter. (I like the idea of using GB dungeon floor tiles for a background on the subscreen. If I can't draw mine well enough, I might have to steal that idea. icon_smile.gif )

#27 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(kurt91 @ Jun 12 2012, 07:43 PM) View Post

Well, here's what I think.

The picture on the left looks more reminiscent of the Game Boy Zelda games, but the shading and texturing on the right ones look much more appealing to me. I really like the grass edges on the right side much more than the left, as well as the rounded gray barricades. However, the gray barricades on the right have a few issues with cutoff where they meet the grass tiles. One idea to fix this would be to remove the brown on them and put them in the game by using layering.

I also really like the shading used for the trees. They add a very nice layer of depth to the standard Game Boy trees, especially the Link's Awakening ones. (My favorite out of all of them.)

Having seen these, I'm very curious as to how you intend to draw building interiors and dungeons. I really like this tileset you're making, and I really hope you plan to do something with it.

On an unrelated note, I would recommend either raising the Rupee counter up slightly, or moving the "Z" and "X" labels to the upper-right of their respective boxes. Every time I glance up there, I keep misreading it as saying that Link has 0002 Rupees. The "Z" keeps blending in with the Rupee counter. (I like the idea of using GB dungeon floor tiles for a background on the subscreen. If I can't draw mine well enough, I might have to steal that idea. icon_smile.gif )

Thanks for all of the feedback! Actually, the newer cliff tiles still use the GB tile linesetup as a base, but because I didn't use that abrupt black line in the middle of the tile as present in the older ones, it's more difficult to tell, but it's still there with the darkest browns icon_smile.gif.

Yes, barricades meet terrain need smoother transition tiles; working on those next, as well as probably redoing the terrain meet-ups anyway; for example, making the grass-bordering dirt tiles' and the dirt-bordering grass tiles' borders look more grassy as I did the cliff edges, and having the bottom of cliff tiles that touch grass look more grassy, etc.

This subscreen is a placeholder really, as the sprites came from SNES A Link to the Past's file creation/selection screen, which is a game/style clash, which you all know I loathe with a passion. But I can recreate something similar when I get to the GBC Zelda dungeon tiles, and pop together a newer looking subscreen from that; they really can make an awesome looking subscreen if done properly icon_smile.gif. Any other feedback from everyone else on the current content?

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

IPB Image
Fixed the issue with cutoff with the barriers here =). I wonder what I should tackle next...

#29 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

I honestly liked the old road tiles better. These just look...weird.

#30 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

The shading on the roads may be a tad too heavy, but they still look nice. Do keep working on this tileset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users