Why do I hate these tiles?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lynel Richie

Lynel Richie

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:36 PM

In my quest there is a peach orchard. I am happy with my the peach tree I edited, per se but there is something wrong. It looks awful when put on the screen. There is something that is not aesthetically pleasing. Does anyone have an idea. What do I need to add or change?

528_qb0xt4.png

Edited by Lynel Richie, 27 May 2020 - 11:36 PM.

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:45 AM

Honestly, they look fine to me. If anything, add a black high light to the peaches?

528_qb0xt4.png

• Matthew and Lynel Richie like this

#3 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:29 AM

Add some black to the trunk just under the foliage.

I'd say the perspective is off, but it's consistent with the rest of z1. Better to have everything wrong than one thing right and stand out.
  • ShadowTiger, Matthew, Aquamentus (Facing Right) and 1 other like this

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:35 AM

2r9QTnI.png

I improved the tree top left of Link based on Anthus' and NoeL's suggestions and also my own. I think the extra peach colour was too much and is now more inline with another fruit tree in the classic set, and improved the shadow.

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

The edits are fine but the original trees posted in this thread are perfectly fine on their own, the classic tileset is flat coloured in the first place so it fits the aesthetic. Really, they probably mostly stick out because you're not used to them, vs being used to all the other tiles in the classic set. The art style of earlier NES games have not aged very well, because it was right before people started learning how to better take advantage of more colours (outlines, etc, compare SMB and SMB3).

#6 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:18 AM

There's nothing inherently wrong the tile itself, I think it depends on how it's used in the screen. For example, the sample you provided looks kind of weird because it's ONLY the new tiles. It makes the screen look kinda empty imo, but the trees fit the NES aesthetic.

• Lynel Richie likes this

#7 Lynel Richie

Lynel Richie

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

There's nothing inherently wrong the tile itself, I think it depends on how it's used in the screen. For example, the sample you provided looks kind of weird because it's ONLY the new tiles. It makes the screen look kinda empty imo, but the trees fit the NES aesthetic.

Yes, that must be it. I feels totally empty and bland. So much tan ground.

#8 Lynel Richie

Lynel Richie

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:45 PM

After spending the bulk of my design time trying fix the tiles and/or place in different spots I decide to ditch those tile altogether. It never made sense anyway since those were the only big trees on the whole map. I am very happy with this choice. Thanks for all the help.

528_qb2f6i.png

• Mani Kanina likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users