Scariest Video Game Moment

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Moldorm

Moldorm

Magus

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

Which moment in a video game that you've played just made you want to jump out of your couch the highest?
...When Yeta screamed "NOT TAKE MIRROR" in Twilight Princess I almost fell out the window.
IPB Image

And then there are some other moments, like when the ghost lunges at you in Eternal Darkness. And several Silent Hill 2 scenes, but nothing beats Yeta.

Edited by Moldorm, 25 March 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#2 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

I found Redeads to be scary back in the day. It was mostly because I didn't know how to (or rather, just didn't know I could) shake them off. So, I associated their scream with inevitable death...

#3 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

Haha this is easy. One word for you. F.E.A.R. Scariest game I've ever played. The scariest part though was when I started going down the latter in the beginning of the game, and as I was turning around, Alma appeared. It scared the %&#@ Out of me!!!!! icon_lol.gif

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Well, there were a few. Most times when I ran away from a hard enemy, and thought it's far away now, and when I move the camera, it's there!

In Ultima IX, I almost died in Covetous. That mine level was so well done that I completely forgot that that is just a videogame and I can't get psychically harmed. That level was full of skelettons. Not only they jumped out from nowhere, they are extra scary, hit big, and such. PLUS, if you don't put some of their bones in your inventory, they come back to life! I am so scared by that "skeletton being revived" SFX. I always tried to be on the top of something, like a conveyor belt (non-moving). When I was forced to go down the ground, I was running as fast as possible, with 4 or 5 skelettons in my back. And they look really REALLY scary. Now, I fear even the entrance of that damned place. When I once needed to go back for some blackrock, I was all scared out of my pants. Nowadays I collect a whole load of blackrocks (so I never have to return) and block the entrance with items, so nothing can get out. (However, I suspect they could... seems like NPCs can't walk between Ultima IX DMaps...)

Liches in Ultima VII. Once I freed the one in Ambrosia. I ran out of the dungeon, but apparently the lich came out with a horde of monsters! Seems like caves are just overheaded, but aren't separate DMaps in Ultima VII.

Paper Mario, Mirror Palace (or how was it called). When two Koopas appeared near me at the first cleavage instead of the usual one, I almost froze. As well as when I saw my mirror pair stopped miming me, and at such events.

Final Fantasy VII, Jenova. The first appearance and the blood trail thing was haunting my dreams for quite many nights.

EDIT: OoT redeads. Deadly scary.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

In recent days, nothing in video games has scared me. Dude, you're weak minded (or younger than I imagined) if the Yeta thing scared you. icon_razz.gif (j/k)

But I had some moments back in the day...
QUOTE(MarioBrosCom @ Mar 25 2008, 03:39 PM) View Post

I found Redeads to be scary back in the day. It was mostly because I didn't know how to (or rather, just didn't know I could) shake them off. So, I associated their scream with inevitable death...

Actually, I didn't fear them until after I got a taste of what they did to you. I was going into the Hyrule Royal Family Tomb (in OoT), going after the Sun Song, when I saw my first ReDead. I was with my cousins, who were older. I'm like, "I wonder if he knows the Sun Song." Then he jumped on my back and started suckin' out my health. "What?! Get off me!" My cousins burst out laughing. It was funny at the time, but I was scared of ReDeads after that. Until I got a grip.

The only other stuff that scared me in video games when I was younger was mostly OoT stuff. Stalchilds (or is it "Stalchildren"?) creeped me out, until I figured out how to avoid them, by staying on the path. I managed to beat all the child dungeons, but wasn't ready to go Adult yet, because I couldn't go back in time and forwards at will, so I didn't want to stay that way. Well, thanks to OoT's saving system (yes, that is a flaw), I accidentally saved it in the Adult World (no pun intended), and so tried to move on. Dampe's Grave creeped me out, as did the prospect of the graveyard. One wrong turn in Dampe's maze, and I stayed away from OoT for awhile.

Now it's my sister that is creeped out by some things in video games. Jumps ten feet everytime I encounter a ReDead in WW. icon_xd.gif

#6 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Actually, in my younger years, I got scared by the Lizalfos in Dodongo's Cavern more than the ReDeads.
Spoiler

(The Spoiler is for the first Splinter Cell)

#7 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(MarioBrosCom @ Mar 25 2008, 03:39 PM) View Post

I found Redeads to be scary back in the day.

I have to agree with you on this one, but to me they're still kinda freaky. I had to play the game on mute just to get through OoT. The WW redeads were more cartoonish, I found them decently bearable, but I can't stand to venture into the king's tomb in Kakariko Graveyard in OoT.

Edited by Powerbracelet, 25 March 2008 - 06:01 PM.

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hmm, well I'm not really sure of any time I was major scared or shocked when playing a video game, but, I do remember a few when I just got scared, shocked, Etc.

There was one time I got quite shocked, I was playing "Monster Hunter Freedom 2" (Which I've been playing a lot lately, it's a PSP game) and I was playing a gathering quest at the swamp, and I was digging at this one wall for "Sootstone Ore" which is a mineral too big for your players backpack, so you have to lift it all the way to the red box at the beginning of the world, I was quite close to the area, but, a bunch of raptor like creatures (Genprey and Ioprey) appeared just cause I was carrying the stone (And they appear in certain area's after you obtained an Egg, Sootstone, or any item you need to carry with both hands), I had to be careful where I walked and how close I was to any of the raptors, or else I could get pounced on or bitten which would cause me to drop the egg.I was quite close to reaching the screen which was one step closer to reaching the boat at the beginning of the world, then all of the sudden I got pounced on, and when I dropped the stone it played this short loud chime that fits the dropping of an egg, yeah, when it happened I was like...
WOAH!
And after I was shocked I didn't know wheather I'd laugh or to get mad and kick the raptors @r$e$.
So I had a little laugh and then I kicked @$$ samurai style. icon_cool.gif

As for "scary" , well, I never really played any games that scared the crap out of me or gave me nightmares, but, there is one thing that may be slightly related.

It was my first time playing Duke Nukem 3D (PS1 port) I was, like, 10 or something at the time, and I was playing at the first level of world three, the level was titled "Raw Meat" and when I got past the restaurant area where these aliens where making sushi out of human parts (Which wasn't the part that scared me icon_razz.gif)
I was in this one room covered in green webs where there where these floating brain aliens called "Octobrains" those things still give me the creeps icon_shiver.gif ,anyways, I really tried to run past them and avoid them and such, I discovered that if you picked up any of the items from the pedastals or if you blew up one or any of the alien hosts (Human females covered in webbing) one or two Octobrains would appear, eventually I discovered their strategy, since I had to fight more of them threw the entire game, they would try to bite you, but, they would also try to shoot a beam of pyshcic energy at you which takes away a lot of your health, so yeah, I kill them all the time now when I play DN3D, I splatter them against the walls . icon_superevil.gif
O.k, so you can't splatter or squish them against the walls, that would be gross. icon_heh.gif

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 25 March 2008 - 08:20 PM.

#9 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

Ocarina of Time - Redeads. I crapped my pants when I was that young playing OoT. Also, somebody told me if you exit the water temple and its nighttime, and you look around, there's a giant one. I also couldn't beat the water temple so I needed to go out and get more hearts. It was nighttime. Didn't beat OoT until I was 13. Also, I was also very scared when the Deku Tree died, and more scared to go around and look at it.

Paper Mario - Boo's Mansion, when you go to open that door the giant boo pops out and laughs. I think I pissed myself there the first time I saw it.

#10 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

o yea that reminds me I could never play luigi's mansion without being freaked out by the tiniest thing the rest of the night. it was an addictive game, but at the same time I resented nintendo for making it SO DAMN REAL!!!!!

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

Doom. You'd think there's nothing scarier than walking into a room full of demons, guns blazing, fireballs coming from all directions, and gnashing teeth...

And then the lights go out.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Well, I can't remember anything being truly scary. But when I first played OoT, I found the re-deads to be creepy. Consequently, when I played TP, the first time through Arbiter's Ground, when I heard one before I saw it, it made my blood turn cold. =0

#13 RyanBlazeheart

RyanBlazeheart

Happy Traveling Charizard

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

Every once in a while when I'm playing Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask on my Nintendo Gamecube when enemies hit me from behind it makes me jump. One scary video game for me was Deathtrap Dungeon. Have any of you guys played it? It got less scary as I kept playing the game. The blood didn't phase me either.

#14 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

Never heard of it.

But also Battletanx just gets me riled up and I have to take a break every few minutes to cool down.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

In Ultima IX, I almost died in Covetous. That mine level was so well done that I completely forgot that that is just a videogame and I can't get psychically harmed. That level was full of skelettons. Not only they jumped out from nowhere, they are extra scary, hit big, and such. PLUS, if you don't put some of their bones in your inventory, they come back to life! I am so scared by that "skeletton being revived" SFX. I always tried to be on the top of something, like a conveyor belt (non-moving). When I was forced to go down the ground, I was running as fast as possible, with 4 or 5 skelettons in my back. And they look really REALLY scary. Now, I fear even the entrance of that damned place. When I once needed to go back for some blackrock, I was all scared out of my pants. Nowadays I collect a whole load of blackrocks (so I never have to return) and block the entrance with items, so nothing can get out. (However, I suspect they could... seems like NPCs can't walk between Ultima IX DMaps...)
Oh god, I hated that place. Skeletons are just brute force nasty. That skeleton reassembly noise scares the hell out of me too; it imbues within you a tad sense of helplessness. You have to drag the parts quite far just so they don't reassemble, and you never know just how far to drag them out. I also hated Zombies too. They'd split in two, and you sometimes couldn't find the other half. I used to have nightmares that the other half would wake me up while sleeping and attack me, but it'd be under a rug or a dish or something, lol...

Liches in Ultima VII. Once I freed the one in Ambrosia. I ran out of the dungeon, but apparently the lich came out with a horde of monsters! Seems like caves are just overheaded, but aren't separate DMaps in Ultima VII.
I think it doesn't matter. They can go anywhere they want. ... I think. icon_odd.gif

In OoT, Redeads are only scary because they can freeze you, making you more vulnerable than you ought to be. Was just annoying. Not so much fear, as respect. The kind of respect you give a really powerful enemy.

I actually fear any tiny parasitical enemy. The little writing annaelids in System Shock 2; the ones that if they get too close, disappear, and end up inside you, doing poison damage from the inside out. God, I HATED Those things with a passion. And I don't like to use guns to kill them, (Ammo is sparse in SS2, even on easy mode, if you were on it.) so I liked to Melee them as much as possible. And their hitbox was as small as they are. Very, very risky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users