Photo

Public School or Home Schooled?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: School

Public or at Home?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

I've noticed that a few people here are home schooled, in fact. I go to public school- and in fact, prefer it.

Pros of Public School:

-Get to see friends more often
-Different types of teachers

Cons:

-Less time at home
-More homework
-Less time for fun

Yeah, ok, I admit it- I am bored, and I have nothing better to do right now. I could be sleeping, but I'm worried about new classes, or more importantly, a new lunch period.

#2 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

Ack. Public schools are awful down here. Some of the private schools I've gone to were better, but still quite bad. Well, at least people have learned to behave themselves to an extent by the time college comes around. Sure, you got your iPods, cellphones, etc., but I don't recall anyone doing anything worse than that.

#3 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

Yeah, my teacher said that public schools in Louisiana were pretty awful. Sorry about that. icon_frown.gif I like public schools. I can get away with things my parents wouldn't let me get away with.

#4 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

I went to public. And the cons far outweighed the pros for me.

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

Was homeschooled, and basically killed my social skills for a few years. College and a job are helping with that now, but in retrospect, I wish I'd stayed in public school

#6 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

I go to public school. I don't think I would go to private school if the option were given. I'd rather stay at my middle school/high school where I'm used to all the students, teachers, and the building in general.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

I'm homeschooled, and I love it! There are so many adavantages that I don't even know where to start. Plus, it doesn't kill my social skills. We go to a homeschool coop on Tuesday and Thursday, so it's like gettting the best of both worlds. Homeschooling's awesome!

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

I am public schooled. I have a friend who is home schooled, and it hasn't really affected him much. I think. And besides, private school is for the rich snobs that smoke dollar bills.

#9 Eternal Legend

Eternal Legend

Initiate

• Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

You basically have no friends in home school and where is the social stuff apart from your family all the time? Then, you'll get all scared of the outside world because your parents would say that the reason why they didn't put you in home school is because of all the kids out there taking drugs and making the world a more depressing place.

This was off some American show, but I don't think it's all the home school kids in general. But still, they would miss out on developing social skills.

#10 Bowser Blanchette

Bowser Blanchette

Tatsumi is ready to roll!

• Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

I've graduated from High School in 2003. I haven't made any plans for college yet.

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

In uni now (college), but went to a public school and glad I did. I think home-schooling a child should be a last resort just because of the vast social experience you miss out on being home-schooled. Keeping your child at home just so you can monitor what they're exposed to is a terrible thing to do to a child because it deprives them of developing a defense system. You'd be crazy to not immunise your child against diseases, and in the same way you're crazy to shield your child from social "diseases". If you're not exposed to the cruelties of life growing up they'll come as a rude shock when you enter the real world. Kids learn sooooo much faster than adults, so you need to expose them to as much as possible early in life, which includes the good AND the bad.

Home-schooling should only be used when:
1) You live too far from the school.
2) The school's facilities are vastly inadequate to give a child a proper education (such as some schools in central Australia, who only have one professional teacher for three days a week. The other two days are taught by members of the community).
3) Your child is being bullied beyond what he can endure (if this is the case you should try switching schools before resorting to home-school).

#12 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:59 AM

I went to public school until my second year of ninth grade. I found out you have to take another language and a few other classes I would rather die than take. I also don't like to raise my hand just to ask or reply to a question or saying "ma'am" and "sir" to people, that is too degrading.

But now I homeschool myself which is much better. You learn far more when you choose when you want to do the work. You don't have to wake up at five in the morning and walk half a mile in the dark to get on the bus and then sit in school eight hours a day doing work, that makes it hard to focus.

#13 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

Public, not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

#14 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Jan 22 2008, 08:59 AM) View Post
I went to public school until my second year of ninth grade. I found out you have to take another language and a few other classes I would rather die than take. I also don't like to raise my hand just to ask or reply to a question or saying "ma'am" and "sir" to people, that is too degrading.
It's not degrading, it's called "manners".

QUOTE(Daniel @ Jan 22 2008, 08:59 AM) View Post
But now I homeschool myself which is much better. You learn far more when you choose when you want to do the work.
Heh, well that explains a lot.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jan 22 2008, 06:32 AM) View Post

In uni now (college), but went to a public school and glad I did. I think home-schooling a child should be a last resort just because of the vast social experience you miss out on being home-schooled. Keeping your child at home just so you can monitor what they're exposed to is a terrible thing to do to a child because it deprives them of developing a defense system. You'd be crazy to not immunise your child against diseases, and in the same way you're crazy to shield your child from social "diseases". If you're not exposed to the cruelties of life growing up they'll come as a rude shock when you enter the real world. Kids learn sooooo much faster than adults, so you need to expose them to as much as possible early in life, which includes the good AND the bad.

Have you ever seen a home schooled child? There is a difference between teaching a child at home and hiding a child under a rock his whole life. You can still get exposed to plenty of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users