Looking for a specific kind of manga.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

Heyas people. I'm looking for a specific kind of manga, so could you please help me out here?

I need to find a kind that is suitable for younger teenagers, that both boys and girls would like. It needs to have nothing to do with robots at all, but magic/talking animals are okay I guess. Violence is okay, I guess, but not too much, and it needs not to have any "adult" themes. Something similar to Spirited Away, but in book form, obviously. icon_razz.gif

#2 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

Oh, yay! I can be helpful here :O
Case Closed meets all of those requirements. It's a mystery-solving manga.
Ouran High School Host club is hilarious icon_kawaii.gif
It's more of a girly manga though... Same with Fruits Basket. But still, they're good. Oh! And try Immortal Rain, too.

#3 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

If you're looking for "Spirited Away" kinda things, why not just check out more of Miyazaki's work? Here's a list of projects he's done.

Lupin III
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle

As GC said, Case Closed is also pretty sweet, but just to warn ya, as it is mainly a murder mystery book, there is quite a bit of murder in it (2-3 per book usually). Nearly always ends up with a happy ending though icon_biggrin.gif.

#4 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

Lupin the III isn't very kid-friendly. By that I mean there's a lot of big-busty women and seducing going on in it. Or at least, that's how the anime was. *shrug*

There may be murder in Case Closed, but it's not really... bloody or full o' gore. If they're younger teens, they should like it.

#5 NekoArc

NekoArc

trans catgirl extrodinaire

• Members

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hikaru no Go is a pretty good manga series as that deals with the game of Go. I really can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned yet... and yes, stay away from Lupin III

#6 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:50 AM

Well, the day that I made the first post in this topic, I bought Cased Closed, before I even read any replies, and I've finished it now. I'm quite satisfied with it. I was interested in Immortal Rain, but manga is so hard to come by in Britain I doubt I'll find it easily. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I'll look into these things. icon_razz.gif

#7 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

I don't know if it's finished now, but Waterstones (UK) are doing a feature thing called Tokyopop, which comprises of a lot of Japanese literature / manga. There's actually a brochure for it sitting on my computer desk at the moment. So find your nearest branch and have a look! (Also has age guides as well). Or I could read some random titles out if you get stuck (doesn't mean anything to me, a lot of manga leaves me a bit cold).

#8 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

Ooh, sounds interesting. Thanks Jimbob!! I wasn't planning on going into London today, but I have a few errends to run so I suppose I can use those as an excuse...

Or maybe I'll just check out the website so I can decide before I go. icon_shrug.gif

#9 Flaming_idiot_dude

Flaming_idiot_dude

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

What do you mean by "young teens"?

#10 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(Flaming_idiot_dude @ Aug 28 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post
What do you mean by "young teens"?

By "young teens" I mean from the ages of twelve years old through to and includeing fifteen years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users