Yuurand: The Fragmented Labyrinth + Contest Announcement

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:51 PM

As the third and final major update to the series in our build up the launch of Reikon later this year

This wasn't a lie initially. I hadn't planned any more major updates to Yuurand until the tentatively final major update after the launch of Reikon. But inspiration struck out of nowhere, so here we are. Introducing Yuurand: The Fragmented Labyrinth.

You'll notice there's no screenshots this time. This update adds only a single new area, one which we don't want to spoil here. So what does it add? An entrance randomizer.

Selecting the Fragmented Labyrinth from the main menu will construct a new labyrinth by picking areas from any of the 4 currently existing labyrinths. Any exit from an area can connect to any other exit from almost any area in the game. No two runs will have the same progression, and even those who know the game like the back of their hands will find themselves scratching their heads as they try to navigate this Frankenstein of a map.

Additionally, this update also brings a few more balance changes, especially to the start of the Living Labyrinth, and fixes a few bugs and oversights that have slipped through. It also gave Magic Stream a much needed buff; there is no longer a cooldown period during which it can't be fired, and stopping them immediately firing it again will allow you to reposition the stream without losing its current charge.

There are a few things to note. First, this update adds a new song. If you don't want to redownload the entire music pack, you can grab it here. Second, please be aware that the randomization process for constructing the Fragmented Labyrinth can take some time; don't be alarmed if the loading screen takes 30-60 seconds. Lastly, while we've done our best to extensively test this feature, the sheer number of possible permutations makes it impossible for us to test it as thoroughly as we might like. If you run into any issues, such as garbage/debug items spawning or areas not connecting properly, please let us know.

------

Next, we wanted to announce a special contest. Aevin and I are planning on hosting a Yuurand race with a special reward: The winner gets their original character added to Yuurand! Tentative rules are as follows.
  • We will pick a time that works for the majority of contestants, and the race will be streamed.
  • If a contestant can't make it, there will be an option to submit a video of a run instead within a certain time frame.
  • Any character but Ava and the Evasion Challenge reward character is allowed.
  • The run itself will be on a Fragmented Labyrinth seed Aevin and I choose ahead of time.
  • Win conditions are six main bosses + Venter Mortis/Heart of the Storm/Elysium boss defeated. Roaming boss, challenge area bosses, and the true final boss are not required.
  • Challenge areas are optional. Feel free to go for them for the chance at a really good reward, but be careful with the time.
We also have a few stipulations on the character the winner chooses:
  • It must be an original character. No copyrighted characters.
  • We are happy to provide a set of sprites based on a reference, but if you have existing sprites, we're happy to use those too.
  • The character should follow the basic pattern of existing characters, with a signature spell, optional passive ability, and upgrades at 30, 50, and 80 coins.
  • We are willing to work with the winner to accommodate requests for complex abilities, but we reserve the right to decline abilities that would require extensive rewriting of existing systems to accommodate.
  • We will work to balance the character to be somewhat in line with the existing roster.
If you're interested, please comment here to let us know. As I mentioned above, we'll try to work with all the entrants and pick a time that works for everyone, or at least the majority of entrants.
  • Eppy, Shane, Eddy and 6 others like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:46 AM

I'm kinda thinking about taking part in this race, so consider me interested for now. I guess it also would be great since I've been meaning to replay this for quite a few months now lol. The only thing is that I'll have to see how things go in the next few days or so if it's gonna be relatively soon because of uni stuff. And of course the biggest problem is that I'm in the United Kingdom, and so that will probably throw everyone's times off since I'm like across the pond and timezones are an evil thing :P Hopefully I can maybe work around it if I go for it, we'll see. If I can't make it, I'll replay the quest anyway lol

• Russ and Aevin like this

#3 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

Sounds Nice I Would Give it a Try But I cant Stream So I Think I Need The Video Alternative :D

#4 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:27 AM

Here's a collection of speedrunning tips I have compiled on Yuurand in preperation for the race coming up.
Hope people who want to speedrun it will find it helpful.

#5 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

This wasn't a lie initially. I hadn't planned any more major updates to Yuurand until the tentatively final major update after the launch of Reikon. But inspiration struck out of nowhere, so here we are. Introducing Yuurand: The Fragmented Labyrinth.

You'll notice there's no screenshots this time. This update adds only a single new area, one which we don't want to spoil here. So what does it add? An entrance randomizer.

Selecting the Fragmented Labyrinth from the main menu will construct a new labyrinth by picking areas from any of the 4 currently existing labyrinths. Any exit from an area can connect to any other exit from almost any area in the game. No two runs will have the same progression, and even those who know the game like the back of their hands will find themselves scratching their heads as they try to navigate this Frankenstein of a map.

Additionally, this update also brings a few more balance changes, especially to the start of the Living Labyrinth, and fixes a few bugs and oversights that have slipped through. It also gave Magic Stream a much needed buff; there is no longer a cooldown period during which it can't be fired, and stopping them immediately firing it again will allow you to reposition the stream without losing its current charge.

There are a few things to note. First, this update adds a new song. If you don't want to redownload the entire music pack, you can grab it here. Second, please be aware that the randomization process for constructing the Fragmented Labyrinth can take some time; don't be alarmed if the loading screen takes 30-60 seconds. Lastly, while we've done our best to extensively test this feature, the sheer number of possible permutations makes it impossible for us to test it as thoroughly as we might like. If you run into any issues, such as garbage/debug items spawning or areas not connecting properly, please let us know.

------

Next, we wanted to announce a special contest. Aevin and I are planning on hosting a Yuurand race with a special reward: The winner gets their original character added to Yuurand! Tentative rules are as follows.

• We will pick a time that works for the majority of contestants, and the race will be streamed.
  • If a contestant can't make it, there will be an option to submit a video of a run instead within a certain time frame.
  • Any character but Ava and the Evasion Challenge reward character is allowed.
  • The run itself will be on a Fragmented Labyrinth seed Aevin and I choose ahead of time.
  • Win conditions are six main bosses + Venter Mortis/Heart of the Storm/Elysium boss defeated. Roaming boss, challenge area bosses, and the true final boss are not required.
  • Challenge areas are optional. Feel free to go for them for the chance at a really good reward, but be careful with the time.
We also have a few stipulations on the character the winner chooses:
  • It must be an original character. No copyrighted characters.
  • We are happy to provide a set of sprites based on a reference, but if you have existing sprites, we're happy to use those too.
  • The character should follow the basic pattern of existing characters, with a signature spell, optional passive ability, and upgrades at 30, 50, and 80 coins.
  • We are willing to work with the winner to accommodate requests for complex abilities, but we reserve the right to decline abilities that would require extensive rewriting of existing systems to accommodate.
  • We will work to balance the character to be somewhat in line with the existing roster.
If you're interested, please comment here to let us know. As I mentioned above, we'll try to work with all the entrants and pick a time that works for everyone, or at least the majority of entrants.

I Think its Not so Far From Me i Have the German Time Zone :D

#6 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:56 AM

I've been replaying this recently.  Turns out I remember a lot more about some of the old labyrinths than I thought lol.  This sounds fun to do, so consider me interested in the race as well.  :)

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

I can join the race. Youtube streaming works good for me, Twitch is a "maybe" and Discord stream is a clear no. ^^

• Russ likes this

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

Alright, so going off reactions here and in the Discord, here's a list of people interested/participating:

Yes: Avaro, LordKronos, Orithan, Dimentio
Probably: Hero of Fire, Eddy
Maybe: RedTribeLink, Evan, Moosh

As far as the date goes, I'm tentatively thinking Sunday, October 6th at 4 PM Eastern time. That'll be 9 PM in the UK, 10 PM in Germany, and 1 PM on the West Coast. Everyone who's expressed interest: Would this time work for you? If it doesn't, does the same time on Saturday, October 12 or Sunday, October 13 work?

Edit: After getting some feedback, seems that Saturday, October 12 is preferred by three different entrants.
  • Eddy and Deedee like this

#9 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure if I'd be able to make Oct 6th or 13th, but the 12th on Saturday should definitely work for me.

#10 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:17 AM

I Will Look Forward It so I Think Curently All Days Could Work for me :D

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:07 AM

I'd personally prefer October 12th at the same time since I won't have to worry about uni the next day. If that gets agreed upon then I guess you can up my position to "Probably".

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:11 AM

Anytime in October is good for me. I'm in.

#13 Berimbauzeiro

Berimbauzeiro

• Members

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:18 PM

Oh Boy, not that it matters but I'm a brazilian and I discovered your series recently and I fell completely in love with it, I did a marathon of Hitodama, Yuurei and Yuurand. Right now I'm about to test this new update for the Yuurand and I'm really interested in this contest... But more for the joyful feeling and the participation of such an event! I Hope all the success for you two for some future projects.  ;)

#14 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

Thanks so much! I'm really happy that you're enjoying the quests. :)

If you're able to participate in the race, that would be great. We should be coming out with more details before too long.

#15 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:42 AM

Yeah The More People Participate The Better More is More Fun :D but There is Something I Wonder Its Has Nothing With The Contest todo but If you Play The Hitodama Labyrinth Which Challange Rooms You Play I Wonder Mostly It was A Challange Room for Hotodama So Are Then Two Hitodamas in One Possible :D and Some Question for The Contest what is an Avan and Evasion Charackter and in Which Difficult Mod Will The Contest Be :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users