Photo

Bubble Bobble: The Fantastic Adventure

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Rating (18 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this submission?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 PureZC

PureZC

The Ultimate Zelda Classic Resource

• The PureZC

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Bubble Bobble: The Fantastic Adventure

Hello!

To tell the truth, I never had played Bubble Bobble for longer than a few minutes when I initially began creating this; it was only after I could find no more than limited ripped graphics online that I decided to play it, in order to rip them myself. Somehow that goal enabled me to come further than I ever had before, with a modest milestone of the ninth level. Regardless, that was enough; I had taken a fair amount of screenshots, and was able to rip all the graphics that I needed into ZC.

--

The demo which I have procured contains three test-levels, each progressively increasing in difficulty and ingenuity. As I spent more time working on the game, I found myself thinking of new utilizations for the various features of ZC which could make the game more challenging, and hopefully more enjoyable. You shall likely notice this; if you want the best experience, and are in short supply of time, I recommend that you focus your energy on the third test-level--but please do give each of them a fair trial.

As should be expected, the story of this game is minimal; the most you shall likely know is that you are following Bub on his fantastic adventure. Expect the final game to follow no more than a Metroidesque story at maximum. But ultimately, who knows? there may be a twist; perhaps Bob shall make a guest appearance.

--

Now, as I am certain that you are waiting for, is the video and screenshot gallery:

Underneath is a video of the first test-level. Being my first creation with sideview-gravity, it is comparatively bland; but do not worry, as this has little semblance of the whole product. My main reason for choosing the first test-level to record was that it was the easiest, and thus none would need to watch me perish on film.

You likely noticed at the end that there was a hidden four-roomed obstacle-course. These obstacle-courses exist in every test-level so far, and can typically be found in the lower-rightmost accessible screen--beyond that hint, you shall need to find your own way to them. Completion of them is required if you are to ultimately complete the level.

Underneath are various screenshots. In them you shall see various devices, some of which are not seen in the video: bounce-pads allow Bub to jump higher than normal, arrows help Bub to jump higher or farther, portals teleport Bub (they can be both malicious and helpful), on/off-switches and reset-buttons can alter things in the room when pressed, ropes can alter things in the room when shot by bubbles (as is entirely logical), and spinning razor-blades hurt Bub when touched.

IPB ImageIPB Image
(Here we have examples of both arrows and ropes. Shoot a bubble at that rope, and that gem may fall--but be careful; you'll need to grab it before it falls into the abyss!)

IPB ImageIPB Image
(Here are examples of arrows and bounce-pads and portals. Watch out, Bub!) Note that it says 'Test Map A'; it should be labelled 'Test Map B'.

IPB ImageIPB Image
(Here are more puzzle-examples. In the second one, you can see portals and razor-blades and switches. Each switch lowers the platform before Bub so that he can complete the jump.)

IPB ImageIPB Image
There is nothing important of these screenshots; I merely thought that they looked interesting enough to put in.)

--

Considering that that whole spiel is over, I can now present you with the three-levelled demo and some closing remarks:

Bubble Bobble: The Fantastic Adventure Expo-Demo
Play in ZC2.5 RC3.

The current goal of each test-level is to collect one-hundred gems. I know; it is a meagre goal; the final game shall have something which is hopefully much more compelling.

Credits:
SpacemanDan - No Up/Down Script
ShadowTiger - Bounce-Pad Script

If anyone has any criticism or suggestions, I would be glad to hear. A new exploitation of a feature, or device of ZC which I never knew of could be very helpful to me, too. This game is being made for fun, and I hope that you have the same calibre of experience while playing it as I do while making it.

#2 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

A great game for it's standards.
I had a lots of fun playing this. A few things are weird, like the springs functioning whenever they felt like it.
Besides that, what is going to happen once you get all 100 crystals? I collected them all in level 1 and nothing happened. I'm sure there will be something in the final version, I'm just wondering how it will work.
Overall, very nice.

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

This is an absolutely great idea. icon_smile.gif ZC seems capable of doing most of the things Bubble Bobble did (except for trapping enemies in bubbles), and Link jumps in a way that is very similar to Bubble Bobble. I really enjoy seeing ZC's uses stretched in an appropriate way. Good luck with this project.

Edit:

Y'know, Bub and Bob would be fun Super Smash Bros. characters, but Taito's properties are now owned by Square Enix, so it's pretty unlikely that'd ever happen. [/tangent]

#4 James24

James24

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

I was expecting to be able to have bubbles to jump on and float up with - that was the really fun in the original bubble bobble. Instead I got hurt by the monster in the bubble?? And, don't monsters in bubbles go red after a while? Its good what you've done so far, but these two things would make it super.

#5 adsfndsajgfkhdjgkejf

adsfndsajgfkhdjgkejf

‚Äč~

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I hope the Four Swords Adventures music is a placeholder, because it would be really unfitting if it were used in the final game. icon_frown.gif

One really minor nitpick is that the springs are kind of weird: you have to position yourself just right to get them to bounce you. But that could probably be fixed easily.

Other than that, it's pretty neat as an idea. I'd like to see it developed further with most of the suggestions people have given incorporated, y'know, it playing more like an actual Bubble Bobble game. That would be cool.

#6 Supindahood

Supindahood

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Looking at the screenshots, reminded me of this game, and made me download it today (after 12 years), It was one of my favorite games but I completely forgot about it all these years.
I haven't seen anyone who brought it up except for you, good job!
I will probably test playing your ZC version but that'd be another day. icon_smile.gif

#7 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

The Giraffe

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the compliments (and criticisms), all who gave them. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Ica44 @ Apr 15 2012, 05:07 PM)  

Besides that, what is going to happen once you get all 100 crystals? I collected them all in level 1 and nothing happened. I'm sure there will be something in the final version, I'm just wondering how it will work.

In the final game there shall likely be no crystal collection; that was merely a placeholder.

QUOTE(Radien @ Apr 15 2012, 06:46 PM)  

Y'know, Bub and Bob would be fun Super Smash Bros. characters, but Taito's properties are now owned by Square Enix, so it's pretty unlikely that'd ever happen. [/tangent]

Squenix owns them now? That's terrible. Little Samson could be amazing too.

QUOTE(Rambly @ Apr 16 2012, 03:33 PM)  

I hope the Four Swords Adventures music is a placeholder, because it would be really unfitting if it were used in the final game. icon_frown.gif

No worries; the music is temporary.

With regard to the bounce-pads: I know that they are awkward. If anyone would be willing to make a better script for them, I would be happy to implement it. Furthermore, I would be happy to implement anything if I have someone willing to script it. This includes trapping enemies in bubbles, jumping upon and from bubbles, popping bubbles, and more bubbles--yes; basically making it play more as Bubble Bobble does.

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

This really felt like not even ZC, rather some freeware or emulated game.
It's actually REALLY exciting that ZC can do this... So, sideview + roc's feather = endless possibilities. I want some, too!

But I can't give a really in-depht review, for my laptop overheated and shut off already in the first "test map". Is this quest overscripted or something? So far it never overheated when RuneScape wasn't on... :/

#9 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Nice quest you've got so far! I got stuck in the third test area. I got to the area with switches and spinning blades, but I died, and now I can't find out how to get back there, and I have 90 crystals so I think that's the last area I need to (re-)find.

Personally, I think it would be interesting to incorporate an overworld that leads to sideview areas (levels or otherwise). Just because Bubble Bobble didn't have much storyline doesn't mean you can't create one, with characters to interact with and everything. But hey, that's just my dish on it. You could just make it like the original and only have sideview.

#10 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

I love this project. The screenshots and the trailer are looking great! A very different type of quest, wich I like. I will play it when it's finished.

I just wonder, if you have screwed up your savefile when you have no magic anymore. To me it's a bug, but it also adds a great challenge and strategy to the game.

icon_smile.gif 4/5

#11 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

The Giraffe

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 18 2012, 01:27 PM)  

This really felt like not even ZC, rather some freeware or emulated game.
It's actually REALLY exciting that ZC can do this... So, sideview + roc's feather = endless possibilities. I want some, too!

But I can't give a really in-depht review, for my laptop overheated and shut off already in the first "test map". Is this quest overscripted or something? So far it never overheated when RuneScape wasn't on... :/

Thanks! That's strange that it would do that; there are only two scripts at the moment, only one which is global.

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ Apr 18 2012, 06:38 PM)  

Nice quest you've got so far! I got stuck in the third test area. I got to the area with switches and spinning blades, but I died, and now I can't find out how to get back there, and I have 90 crystals so I think that's the last area I need to (re-)find.

Personally, I think it would be interesting to incorporate an overworld that leads to sideview areas (levels or otherwise). Just because Bubble Bobble didn't have much storyline doesn't mean you can't create one, with characters to interact with and everything. But hey, that's just my dish on it. You could just make it like the original and only have sideview.

The area of which you speak is on a random warp; you'll make it there if you continuously go into the portal until it warps you there. I know how terrible this is, but it is intended to be somewhat elusive.

It shall have somewhat of a story, despite it being comparatively minimal. It shall be along the lines of 'descending through the Cave of Monsters', but hopefully with more of a labyrinthine and puzzling atmosphere than the original had. The separate levels as seen in the demo shall not be present.

QUOTE(Avataro @ Apr 19 2012, 07:48 AM)  

I love this project. The screenshots and the trailer are looking great! A very different type of quest, wich I like. I will play it when it's finished.

I just wonder, if you have screwed up your savefile when you have no magic anymore. To me it's a bug, but it also adds a great challenge and strategy to the game.

icon_smile.gif 4/5

Thanks! I know; the lack of ways to replenish magic is terrible. I spoke of this with Moosh in IRC the other day. I shall be adding various 'magic regeneration-stations' throughout the final game.

#12 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Review #03: "Bubble Bobble: The Fantastic Adventure" by "Geoffrey"

Finished my review of the quest. Here's a link for anybody interested.

As bad as I am at it, this still has ended up being one of my favorites. I'm really looking forward to when it's finished.

#13 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

This quest is very creative! icon_thumbsup.gif

With a few more support scripts, customized SFX, and polish, this could be a very fun side-scroller. For demo quality I give you 4/5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users